Automotive Careers Looking for an automotive job or employees?

Got accepted to the Nascar Tech Institute in Mooresville

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2012, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew a kid that was an apprentice mechanic for about 1 1/2 years. He didn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when he first started working on cars. High school education only and 1.5 years of job experience.

So he quit his mechanic job and applied to be an instructor at UTI. They hired him at the ripe old age of 22 and he's teaching kids not much younger than him. What does that tell you about UTI?
Old 05-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Staging Lane

this is a real heartbreaker. thanks for all the advice guys. i dont really want to move far away from home though. the recruiter must really be feed me crap because everything he said had me convinced but i trust people thats been through nti on here more than that. thanks everyone
Old 05-27-2012, 01:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like some of the other guys said, working for a race team isn't all that it's cracked up to be. It sounds like a glorious job to have but talk to some guys that have been on professional race teams and get their point of view. It will ruin your passion for working on cars.

What's more realistic? You might want to look into automotive classes at your local community college. Instructors will be just as good, if not better than ones at UTI. Start applying for entry level positions at local shops and dealerships. Explain to them you're looking to break into the business and many dealerships will offer apprentice programs with additional training. A local shop would be ok also, but consider that working on one type of manufacturer will be easier than a bunch of different makes and models some more confusing than others to work on. And a lot of local shops don't have the specific specialty equipment needed for todays cars. It's just a matter of getting your feet in the door, getting them wet and getting some experience under your belt. Good luck on whatever path you decide.

Also remember, tools which you accumulate over the years can cost you a small fortune. A mechanic can earn a decent living but on average I feel most are underpaid. God bless the good ones who actually have a passion for fixing cars the right way. Many, especially in local chain repair shops are just parts changers looking to book as many hours as possible. I remember reading the automotive industry is short on mechanics so the demand is there. The problem is, for what you have to know, invest in tools, and the wages paid for an apprentice tech trying to get their foot in the door can be a challenge. From the techs I've talked to and know, financial wealth is not something guaranteed for most mechanics working at your average shop. Work is also something not guaranteed. I know some guys that have had to get part times jobs when times get slow. When you get paid by commission and no cars are coming through the shop, it's hard to make money. That comes and goes in cycles and varies from shop to shop, but it does happen.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:34 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
^X100 Both me and my sons love to wrench on our cars and we are all pretty good at it, but when it gets frustrating we can walk away, not the same at some shop, dealership or not. I went the high road and got my BSME from VT and I have never regreted it. My oldest son is going the communitiy college route and hopes to follow dad as an Engineer. He applied to UNCC but didn't get in. If you're local to Charlotte I highly recomend thier program, It's all automotive, but when you get out you have a BSME degree.

I worked my way through college working on a NASCAR Winston cup team (Sprint cup now) and trust me, it's only fun the first few times you go to the track, after that it's one of the hardest jobs you'll ever have. I also recomend the Formula SAE team, I was lucky enough to build the one car from VT that won the whole competition in '91. Four of the core guys on the team all now work in motorsports, two as IRL chief engineers and one for Joe Gibbs racing and Me (If you count my stint on the Winston Cup team). I work for a big company now doing engineering work and choose to work on my project cars for "fun"

My passion is coming back full circle after 20 years being an Engineer, I now have the money and the time to build what I love, and also go to the track as a car owner and driver (and wrench turner). I'm a wanna be road racer now, and I love every minute of it, never would have happend if I fixed other peoples cars all week long.
Solid advice right here!

If cars are your passion then go to school and get the best education you can. Get a job that allows you to earn the money your worth and lets you enjoy your passion of racing/wrenching. I spent 2 years working on cars in the industry before I enlisted in the Marines. The industry sucked in 2000 and not much has changed, except I hear they pay less for warrenty work now!

Now if you really want to get a skillset for working on cars and get into the industry, most of the nations community colleges have built reputations as having great automotive programs. CC certs are worth way more than those you buy from UTI.

Good luck either way!
Old 06-01-2016, 12:16 PM
Teching In

Default advice on the nascar program of UTI mooresville NC

Army vet, recently in contact with a recruiter from the nascar tech program at Universal technical institute in mooresville north carolina.... really concerned with all of the negative reviews all over the internet about this school.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

you should read about them in the current article in Forbes
Old 06-06-2016, 11:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bww3588
UTI/NTI will accept anyone with a pulse and a checkbook...they just tell you "we only accept a certian number of people with certian grades...etc, a year" to get you in the door...then your off to ***-rape-ville and thrown out knowing little more than what you did to start and nothing to show for it excpet debt.
Yeah I was wondering if this "got accepted" thing was really just this.

Most for profit schools will "accept" anyone that wants to pay to go there, but sometimes they play it up like they've actually reviewed your grades or whatever and that acceptance is some kind of honor like getting into Harvard lol.
Old 06-26-2016, 08:34 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Learn a skilled machine trade if you want to get into engine stuff. CNC training can get you into TONS of industry work, both automotive, and otherwise. Everything complicated needs parts made.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DietCoke
Learn a skilled machine trade if you want to get into engine stuff. CNC training can get you into TONS of industry work, both automotive, and otherwise. Everything complicated needs parts made.
+1, this will help out alot.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

If you want to work in motorsports, you need an engineering degree. Anybody can turn a wrench, you need to understand how the cars work to improve them. Or, learn a trade. Become a welder/fabricator. People with trade skills are always in demand.

Talk to people who work for race teams before you jump into it. You really have to want it. They industry is constantly shrinking, and it's really cut-throat. Hours are crazy, travel sucks, and the pay isn't great for the amount of work you put in. Having said that, I do really enjoy it - but it will beat you down sometimes. You need to use the competition aspect of the job to keep pushing you forward. Working in the racing industry hasn't killed my passion for wrenching on my own projects - it just sucks up all my time so I never get a chance to work on my own stuff.

Bottom line - avoid any tech school like the plague. Really won't get you anywhere. If you are serious about the Motorsport thing, go back and get an engineering degree or a trade like welding. Start volunteering with smaller, local teams. NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK. Talk to every car owner and promote yourself.
Old 08-31-2016, 12:45 PM
ADM
TECH Resident

Have you considered aircraft maintenance engineering?

You need to think about a career, not just doing what you love. Very few hobbies make $$. Remember you work to earn a decent living. I used to think like you because of my passion for motorsports, and was going to go into Motorsports Engineering at the last moment due to my passion for cars. Good thing I didn't.

It was a lot of hard work to advance in the industry. But the pay is quite respectable so the incentive exists. And I get to enjoy my hobby too (and can afford it most importantly).

Just know that this career carries a lot of responsibility (hundreds of peoples lives + the cost of the aircrafts reaching over $300 million) so you better be brave because its no walk in the park. And the studies are not going to be easy either.

Looking back now, I should have learned plumbing as a second trade during my free time. Considering I paid my plumber 1/3 of my monthly income for 1 weeks work. And he only came over for 3 hours of the day and worked on other sites too. Granted he did an excellent job and was very professional.

Steel welding and fabrication will also earn you a great wage. Once you are skilled you can open your own shop. Could also get you a job in the petroleum industry.

Sometimes, the job doesn't have to be all that "glamorous" and "special". Its all about earning an honest living, a decent wage and having fun while doing it too.

If you want to know anything about aircraft maintenance engineering, shoot me a PM.

Good luck
Old 08-31-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I almost went to UTI over 15 years ago. Recruiter came over to the house and bla bla bla from there. I bailed at the last second, just didn;t feel right. They are salesman - plain and simple. You don't see a lot of ads for good colleges, but you see PLENTY for these guys.

I agree with college route. Having a real degree is always going to take you farther, it is something you earn and keep forever. A "certificate" under the education section of a resume is a complete joke to me and that res ussually gets thrown away. I am in a different field, but still. If you like working on cars then you like working on and building things. An engineering degree is a great way to do that, but you can still get pigeon holed into some BS you hate for the rest of your life making little money.......

Good people rise to the top. You can be a shitty mechanic or a good one. You can be a shitty engineer or a good one.
Old 12-14-2016, 10:52 AM
On The Tree

I went there and graduated valedictorian and was in the nascar spec engines class. In my opinion whe 45k would be better spent on some tools. And a race team is not what it's cracked up to be all the teachers there were on race teams and they all tell there stories of how terrible it is. You don't do it for the money was one of there biggest things and the fact that it's the race team before family. I can't count how many times a teacher told a story about how they were fired because they didn't devote 100%of there time to the team.

Quick Reply: Got accepted to the Nascar Tech Institute in Mooresville