Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2004, 09:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exclamation The Dodge Charger is Coming Back

Dodge set to revive Charger name for new rear-wheel-drive performance sedan

By Rick Kranz
Automotive News / March 08, 2004

Dodge will add a full-sized rear-wheel-drive sedan to its lineup next year, company sources said.

The car draws inspiration from the Dodge Charger muscle car of the late 1960s, said a person familiar with the program who spoke on condition that he not be identified. He said the car likely will be called the Charger.

Spokesman Jason Vines declined comment, citing the company's policy not to talk about future products.

Sources said the sedan will be developed off the automaker's rwd LX platform, which is shared by the 2005 Chrysler 300 sedan and the Dodge Magnum wagon.

At the Geneva auto show last week, Trevor Creed, Chrysler group's chief designer, hinted that such a vehicle was planned.

"We will be looking at a very sporty version of this platform for Dodge," he said.

"However, we will not do badge engineering anymore. You will not see a Dodge version" that shares sheet metal with the Chrysler 300.

He added: "You've got to have a four-door, (but) there's no market for a coupe."

The 300 and Magnum go on sale this spring. They share about 20 percent of their parts, in terms of value, with the Mercedes-Bends C and E classes.

The 340-hp 5.7-liter Hemi V-8 is the centerpiece of the LX models. While the Magnum has drawn favorable comments from the automotive press, some Dodge dealers are worried about marketing a wagon without a full-sized family sedan.

Intrepid production ended last summer, and dealers have been pressing the automaker for a sedan.

The Dodge sedan will be the third derivative based on the LX platform. At least one other LX derivative is planned, said a Chrysler group insider. In Chrysler parlance, LX derivatives are defined as models with extensive sheet metal differences.

Old 04-10-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Junkie

That is one good looking car!!! Wish they would make the Charger look like that!!!
Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by WECIV
Wish they would make the Charger look like that!!!
That is the Charger.

At least, it is pretty much what it will look like. Notice the four doors.
Old 04-13-2004, 08:17 PM
BMW ///M Nerd

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TriShield
That is the Charger.

At least, it is pretty much what it will look like. Notice the four doors.

Yep, worst part aboutt he car. I won't be buying one because of the 4 doors. The styling cues are awesome, but the Charger was never a 4 door, nor should it ever be.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

that charger pictured, is a concept car (also named Charger) that came out at least 4 years ago. It had a CNG powered motor in it, and was a complete turd
Old 04-14-2004, 01:40 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That charger pictured is pretty badass and I'd buy one if it wasen't a 4 door.
Old 04-14-2004, 03:59 PM
TECH Addict

Popular Hot Rodding's Concept Charger
From: http://www.popularhotrodding.com/fea...0404phr_dodge/

More Here
Old 04-15-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by onyxxtreme
that charger pictured, is a concept car (also named Charger) that came out at least 4 years ago. It had a CNG powered motor in it, and was a complete turd
They announced they're producing the concept. When the concept was conceived Chrysler did not have an appropriate V8 or RWD platform, now they have both.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by MadIceV8
That charger pictured is pretty badass and I'd buy one if it wasen't a 4 door.
I couldn't care less as long the performance is there, and judging by the 300C and Magnum's tests, it will be.
Old 04-15-2004, 12:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Adam Bruce
Popular Hot Rodding's Concept Charger
That's about as good as that modern Chevelle photoshop making the rounds, meaning it's not.

DCX says the Magnum and Charger will not share any styling cues or body panels, just the guts.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:28 PM
TECH Veteran

I think this is a better looking sedan than the CTS and CTS-V.
Old 05-19-2004, 12:54 PM
TECH Junkie

The popular hot rodding Charger is a POS!!! I like the old one (a.k.a. 99ish)!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 03:16 PM
Humanitarian

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

WECIV - If it was a two door I would agree. Pretty sharp looking and mild at the same time (expect for the front grille and headlights).
Old 05-21-2004, 09:11 PM
TECH Resident

I really wish Chrysler had the tooling, platform, and engine to work with at the time Tom Gale had dreamt up the Charger R/T concept. I'm not saying that the Magnum is ugly, but the Charger was just effin beautiful. Same thing goes for the 300 Hemi C convertible concept. While the 300 sedan isn't pug fugly, the convertible concept was also drop dead gorgeous and I wish that the sedan had received those styling cues. The only vehicle which I thought improved in terms of design from concept to production was/is the Crossfire, although I was upset that it received an all Mercedes drivetrain that would obviously prevent a 6 speed manual from being offered in the hi-po SRT-6 variant.
Old 05-21-2004, 11:21 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
I really wish Chrysler had the tooling, platform, and engine to work with at the time Tom Gale had dreamt up the Charger R/T concept. I'm not saying that the Magnum is ugly, but the Charger was just effin beautiful. Same thing goes for the 300 Hemi C convertible concept. While the 300 sedan isn't pug fugly, the convertible concept was also drop dead gorgeous and I wish that the sedan had received those styling cues. The only vehicle which I thought improved in terms of design from concept to production was/is the Crossfire, although I was upset that it received an all Mercedes drivetrain that would obviously prevent a 6 speed manual from being offered in the hi-po SRT-6 variant.
True, but if the SRT-6 even Equals the SLK32 AMG then we're looking at a car from Chrysler that actually equals the straight line acceleration of the C5. not too shabby. I'll be curious to see how much that car costs.

The car from Daimler that I'm really thinking is gonna be a success is the slingshot. Based on the Smart Roadster, they said if they bring it to production that they might make a turbo SRT version. 2-seat RWD turbo for under $20K? Thought those days were in the past. Good to keep the hope alive!
http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=134&i=7814

The rumors I've seen on Autoscoops.tk say the SRT version would have a ~150+hp turbo motor.
Old 05-22-2004, 04:12 AM
Launching!

I like the overall look of the new Charger, but here's my complaints

1. Too long

2. 4 doors (causing the symptom of being too long)

3. Putting small appearance things aside, it looks like the Dodge Intrepid from the side, except more defined. At least it isn't as bad that slop of a design, too-long-of-a-bubble with no definition look.

If it was shorter and it was a coupe, I would love this car.
Old 05-23-2004, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

If it was a coupe, that car would be badass!!!
Old 05-23-2004, 12:28 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

I must be the only one who actually likes the PHR mock up Charger concept.

I'd buy that car in a second. Keep it 2 doors, muscular looking, and I'll buy it

If it looks anything like the 99 concept pics Trishield posted with 4 doors, Dodge can beat feet. I think that the idea behind the car is great, but their current concept looks like ***. Those wheels are hideous, the side of the car jsut doesn't look right. As said above, it's too long, and Intrepid looking. I'll keep my TA until the Cobra is stepped up one more notch, or the Charger is released with a decent looking body.
Old 05-23-2004, 01:30 AM
TECH Veteran

I find it ironic that F-body owners are complaining about the percieved length of a sedan.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:46 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

At least they only have 2 doors! You won't find me buying a "Charger" with 4 doors anytime soon.

Quick Reply: The Dodge Charger is Coming Back