2015 mustang could be 400lbs less

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Default 2015 mustang could be 400lbs less

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...00-pounds.html

That would make the next stang the ultimate/performance car for the price

Maybe old news anyway...independant rear setup will make the new mustang 150-180lbs heavier IMO.
Old 08-20-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Wow that's really impressive. And there still planning to keep the same motors? I hope the interior doesn't get too much smaller though. Wonder if the camaro will be similar, needs to be.
Old 08-20-2013, 04:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is true I might be getting one of these. GM should have done the same with the new C7 (shrunk down all dimensions to lower weight) instead of having it gain more than 100lbs. There is no need for the foot print of a C6 to be as wide and long as it is, so why make the next generation even wider and longer??
Old 08-20-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Don't believe it until you see it. There's also more to car than just how fast it gets down the quarter, the quality, materials, build, nearly everything about the current car needs a big improvement for the next gen. I was excited to rent one for the Dream Cruise this year but was ready to get rid of it after driving it for about an hour into Detroit.
Old 08-21-2013, 10:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill00Formula
Wow that's really impressive. And there still planning to keep the same motors? I hope the interior doesn't get too much smaller though. Wonder if the camaro will be similar, needs to be.
Rumor is that it will have 450-475hp. I believe it will have around 440-450hp...
Old 08-21-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it. They'll likely be a lighter chassis/smaller car, but then add IRS so I doubt it'll even be at or below the 3,000 lb mark.

The Camaro, on the other hand, is rumored to be put onto the Cadillac ATS chassis for 2016. The current ATS Caddy's weigh in at 3,300-3,400 lbs. However, take into consideration that the ATS's only currently have 4 and 6 cylinder engine options, but aren't exactly designed to be the lightest performance cars on the road. I'm sure GM can wedge a V8 in there, make a few other things lighter in comparison, and get the 6th Gen down around 3,300 lbs as well.

Also take into consideration that GM will not have their base V8 Camaro out-do the base C7 corvette in any aspect, and we've got most the numbers on the C7. With that in mind, I'd figure a 440-ish horsepower 6.2L Gen 5 LT1 SS that weighs in at about 3,400 lbs.

I'd be surprised if there isn't some bone stock C7's dipping into the 11's by late fall 2013 in optimal conditions, and realistically the Camaro won't be much farther behind. The C7 will be a low 12's, high 11's car, and the 6th Gen Camaro will be a mid-low 12's car. All just speculation, of course.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:29 PM
TECH Regular

maybe on the moon it will.
Old 08-22-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MasterTomos
I'll believe it when I see it. They'll likely be a lighter chassis/smaller car, but then add IRS so I doubt it'll even be at or below the 3,000 lb mark.

The Camaro, on the other hand, is rumored to be put onto the Cadillac ATS chassis for 2016. The current ATS Caddy's weigh in at 3,300-3,400 lbs. However, take into consideration that the ATS's only currently have 4 and 6 cylinder engine options, but aren't exactly designed to be the lightest performance cars on the road. I'm sure GM can wedge a V8 in there, make a few other things lighter in comparison, and get the 6th Gen down around 3,300 lbs as well.

Also take into consideration that GM will not have their base V8 Camaro out-do the base C7 corvette in any aspect, and we've got most the numbers on the C7. With that in mind, I'd figure a 440-ish horsepower 6.2L Gen 5 LT1 SS that weighs in at about 3,400 lbs.

I'd be surprised if there isn't some bone stock C7's dipping into the 11's by late fall 2013 in optimal conditions, and realistically the Camaro won't be much farther behind. The C7 will be a low 12's, high 11's car, and the 6th Gen Camaro will be a mid-low 12's car. All just speculation, of course.
Not a rumor, the Camaro is being built on the same platform as the ATS. The Camaro will be a bit bigger than the ATS though, but should still save a lot of weight when compared to the 5th Gens. My guess is the 6th Gen Camaro will weigh in around 3700 and have the same HP/TQ rating as the Vette currently has. By that time, the Vette will have received a bump.

As you said though, all just speculation.
Old 08-22-2013, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TriShield
Don't believe it until you see it. There's also more to car than just how fast it gets down the quarter, the quality, materials, build, nearly everything about the current car needs a big improvement for the next gen. I was excited to rent one for the Dream Cruise this year but was ready to get rid of it after driving it for about an hour into Detroit.
say what? which model/trim did you rent? What were your complaints?

My car is adequately optioned, and while I wouldn't compare quality with a Mercedes, I would say it is a comfortable and pleasant car to drive both slow and fast. Arguably equivalent to anything in its price category.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by deft
say what? which model/trim did you rent? What were your complaints?

My car is adequately optioned, and while I wouldn't compare quality with a Mercedes, I would say it is a comfortable and pleasant car to drive both slow and fast. Arguably equivalent to anything in its price category.
The Camaro's interior is awful. Especially when compared with what Ford offers.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PhillyLS1
+1. One of the reasons I am glad I never got one. At least they fixed the steering wheel in recent years.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

I actually owned one for two years, and certainly didn't mind the interior. Don't quite understand the complaint.
Old 08-29-2013, 04:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 462 Likes on 361 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I thought quite the opposite. Flip the rear head rests up on the stang and try to look out the back of it. Most things in it feel cheap......the people riding in the back (if you can even fit) head is under the glass so the sun can beam the **** outta them. The mustang felt cramped to me and I'm not very big.

I could not for the life of me figure out why people complained about the 5th gen interior. Comfortable, thought out well enough, attractive and especially after the update it seemed very high quality.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HioSSilver
I thought quite the opposite. Flip the rear head rests up on the stang and try to look out the back of it. Most things in it feel cheap......the people riding in the back (if you can even fit) head is under the glass so the sun can beam the **** outta them. The mustang felt cramped to me and I'm not very big.

I could not for the life of me figure out why people complained about the 5th gen interior. Comfortable, thought out well enough, attractive and especially after the update it seemed very high quality.
I agree. I thought the interior was pretty comfy in the 5th gen. Ive driven a couple of 5.0's and I think they are different but comfy as well.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by HioSSilver

i would totally agree with you. i feel guilty hauling people in the back, and with the head rests up the visibility is probably worse than the camaro. That said, the front seats are pretty good. I would think a large person up front would be ok.

Quick Reply: 2015 mustang could be 400lbs less