Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Motor Trend Pits the Camaro Z/28 Against the Porsche 911 GT3

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor Trend Pits the Camaro Z/28 Against the Porsche 911 GT3

Motor Trend Pits the Camaro Z/28 Against the Porsche 911 GT3

I've got to hand it to Chevy. I knew the automaker pulled out all of the stops in making its 2015 Camaro Z/28, but, until today, I wasn't aware of how far doing allowed its car to go. Motor Trend chose the blue-collar bruiser as a competitor to the mighty Porsche 911 GT3 for a duel.

Read the rest on the LS1Tech.com homepage. >>

Last edited by DerekShiekhi; 12-29-2014 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 12-29-2014, 09:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 12-29-2014, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

The Z/28 is an awesome car. That said, if I was in a financial situation that allowed me to buy such a car, I'd spring the extra dough and get the Z06...
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

ok, what I got out of this.

a 4 liter 6 cylinder car with 500hp kills a 7 LITER CARWITH 505HP(EVERYONE SAYS THE Z28 IS UNDERRATED....EVERYONE)THE Z28 REALLY HAS 545 HP FROM ALL THE FORUMS.

so the z28 has gobs more power, is a track car. gave uo 8-10 mph on the straghts to a 6 cylinder 4 liter car.

4 liters. 7 liters.

4 liters.

the mighty z28 is after all a decent fastest pony car. nothing more.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by assasinator

a 4 liter 6 cylinder car with 500hp kills a 7 LITER CARWITH 505HP(EVERYONE SAYS THE Z28 IS UNDERRATED....EVERYONE)THE Z28 REALLY HAS 545 HP FROM ALL THE FORUMS.

so the z28 has gobs more power, is a track car. gave uo 8-10 mph on the straghts to a 6 cylinder 4 liter car.

4 liters. 7 liters.

4 liters.

AND A $70,000 price difference
Old 01-07-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

4 liters. 7 liters.

4 liters.

Thats because you can't see clearly with those rose tinted glasses you have on all the time. Take them off and READ THIS: DISPLACEMENT IS IRRELEVANT! GM CHOSE to use the lighter, smaller, cheaper LS7 that makes more power at a lower RPM with a lower compression ratio. If the Porsche had the LS7 it would be quicker and lighter, if the flat 6 would fit in the Camaro it would be heavier and slower.

The LS7 is a better engine all around.

Better engine.

Displacement is irrelevant.

Read that as many times as it takes to sink in (could be a while...)

Now that you have had your eyes opened (hopefully) continue reading.
You could own two

two

Camaro Z28s for the price of the 1 GT3.
So you could own 2 Camaro Z28s that will both hang with a Porsche 911 GT3 around a track despite is significant weight, and power to weight disadvantage. The Z28 is nothing less than a track (a real track, with turns) monster for a bargain price.
Yes its over weight, not the fastest out there and not perfect, but no one said it was.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 172 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Thats because you can't see clearly with those rose tinted glasses you have on all the time. Take them off and READ THIS: DISPLACEMENT IS IRRELEVANT! GM CHOSE to use the lighter, smaller, cheaper LS7 that makes more power at a lower RPM with a lower compression ratio. If the Porsche had the LS7 it would be quicker and lighter, if the flat 6 would fit in the Camaro it would be heavier and slower.

Better engine.

You could own two

two

So you could own 2 Camaro Z28s that will both hang with a Porsche 911 GT3 around a track despite is significant weight, and power to weight disadvantage. The Z28 is nothing less than a track (a real track, with turns) monster for a bargain price.
Yes its over weight, not the fastest out there and not perfect, but no one said it was.
This^

If arguing displacement, then cams, valves, fuel efficiency and all the other ricer BS must be considered as well.

On a side note, anyone looking for a Z/28 - I read that at certain dealers in the states, there are some big discounts over 20K for those sitting on the lots. 55K is a bargain for this type of car and equipment!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Better engine.

You could own two

two

after 100 laps is the Z really 'hanging with it'?

the z28 is surely one of the best cars in the world. price isnt in the discussion unless the Z gets a lap time handicap in racing.

i guess my point is, i see so many 'enthusiasts' exhaulting the Z into something it isn't. it is not a world beater, it is not a super car. to hear most talk about the car, it has 550hp 500 lb-ft and outruns everything in the world on every track. (for the price lol).

its the fastest ponycar in the planet.

woo hoo. pony cars arent really a measuring stick. standards are low.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

If the Porsche lasts that long, sure.
the z28 is surely one of the best cars in the world. price isnt in the discussion unless the Z gets a lap time handicap in racing.

i guess my point is, i see so many 'enthusiasts' exhaulting the Z into something it isn't. it is not a world beater, it is not a super car. to hear most talk about the car, it has 550hp 500 lb-ft and outruns everything in the world on every track. (for the price lol).

Specifically who says that? Can you actually name anyone, and give a direct link to the post?
Sounds like to me you are just pissed that the Camaro trumped the mustang again, figured the Mustang fanboys would be used to that by now though...
Old 01-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Why wouldn't the Z/28 hang lap after lap. Everything about it is pretty stout. Generally the only thing that quits on track days are the brakes...something tells me the Z's brakes are up to extended track duty.

I doubt any production car is up to 100 laps of hard track duty. Porsche, Camaro, or otherwise.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Specifically who says that? Can you actually name anyone, and give a direct link to the post?
Sounds like to me you are just pissed that the Camaro trumped the mustang again, figured the Mustang fanboys would be used to that by now though...
blah blah blah. mustang whut? who mentioned that car? you.

pissed a near useless car is worse that another near worthless car?

lolz. enjoy your rickety falling apart pony car.

i'll enjoy my 02 deville. mines quiet. mine rides like a pillow.

my brand has own chevy. will always be better. oh you have ONE model of vette that is faster. I have luxury that **** will never have.

my brand a 2015 cts-v. you have a Camaro. awesome. im jealous of a Camaro. so jealous I never bought one. wife has had two Camaros.

and a vette. ill pass I hate the cramped crapmaro.

yeah you hit a nerve. mustang is a piece of ****, Camaro is worse.

all of you wish you could afford a caddy. everyone looks at my car. they never notice that **** you like so much.

my friends are like, wow we are taking the Cadillac. never heard anyone say hey we are taking the mustang. cuz nobody wants to ride in one.

Last edited by assasinator; 01-08-2015 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...79&postcount=4

there is one. 476 rwhp. there are a million. the z28 has 550 hp. just ask ANYONE in Camaro5.

so it lost to a 500hp 6 cylinder. weight? wtf is wrong with you. engine weight makes the 7 liter better? who ******* says that?
Old 01-08-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by justin455
Why wouldn't the Z/28 hang lap after lap. Everything about it is pretty stout. Generally the only thing that quits on track days are the brakes...something tells me the Z's brakes are up to extended track duty.

I doubt any production car is up to 100 laps of hard track duty. Porsche, Camaro, or otherwise.
Don't go all logicky on him, poor guy
Old 01-08-2015, 09:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

blah blah blah. mustang whut? who mentioned that car? you.

pissed a near useless car is worse that another near worthless car?

lolz. enjoy your rickety falling apart pony car.

i'll enjoy my 02 deville. mines quiet. mine rides like a pillow.

my brand has own chevy. will always be better. oh you have ONE model of vette that is faster. I have luxury that **** will never have.

my brand a 2015 cts-v. you have a Camaro. awesome. im jealous of a Camaro. so jealous I never bought one. wife has had two Camaros.

and a vette. ill pass I hate the cramped crapmaro.

yeah you hit a nerve. mustang is a piece of ****, Camaro is worse.

all of you wish you could afford a caddy. everyone looks at my car. they never notice that **** you like so much.

my friends are like, wow we are taking the Cadillac. never heard anyone say hey we are taking the mustang. cuz nobody wants to ride in one.
lol drunk?
Bragging about a 02 deville? Cheap old grandma's car? Thats cool...
FYI the CTS-V is nothing like a traditional Cadillac, might as well be a 4 door Corvette (thats not a bad thing) - but couldn't be further from a POS like a Deville.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...79&postcount=4

there is one. 476 rwhp. there are a million. the z28 has 550 hp. just ask ANYONE in Camaro5.
You must have misunderstood my question, I was asking you to find me someone who thinks the Camaro is a "world beater" like you said here:
to hear most talk about the car, it has 550hp 500 lb-ft and outruns everything in the world on every track.
so it lost to a 500hp 6 cylinder.
500hp is 500hp is 500hp, why do cylinders matter now?
The Porsche is a smaller, lighter car thats double the price, I sure as hell hope it could beat a lowly pony car like a Camaro around a race track.

weight? wtf is wrong with you. engine weight makes the 7 liter better? who ******* says that?
Someone with some actual ******* logic?
How is a lighter engine not an advantage? Would the Camaro be faster if it were heavier?
Old 01-08-2015, 10:36 PM
***Repost Police***

The Z28 is an amazing car, and even more so for the price, but I doubt many people (besides maybe a few on this site) who would take it over the GT3. There is a reason it costs so much more than a Camaro.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:47 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money were no object: The GT3 hands down... But for most of us, cost matters, I could be perfectly happy with the Z having never driven the Porsche.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I wanted an all rounder I'd take the cheapest c7 I could find, tune it and strappa blower to get it in Z06 territory, then I could have a good interior / good looking car really good handling for track days for less than a porsche, also **** porsche/bmw/mercedes electronics / consumables
Old 01-08-2015, 10:52 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
If money were no object: The GT3 hands down... But for most of us, cost matters, I could be perfectly happy with the Z having never driven the Porsche.
To be perfectly honest, I don't imagine anybody would buy a Z28 because that's all they can afford. It's a $75k toy.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:57 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by CO_BlackHawk
This. If they're handed to me without ever needing out of my pocket expenses such as repairs, maintenance, registration, etc. then it's GT3 by a good margin. If the car is free but I'm on my own after that, I'm going Z/28...no brainer.
Registration would still be a bitch, but I can do all the maintenance myself quite easily and I know I could afford and change a clutch or rear diff or even an air filter. Z/28 probably has a better warranty too.
I don't even wanna know how much a DSG service costs. Not to mention the GT3 could have one of those engines that requires a top engine rebuild every 25k miles. Not saying it does, I'm just saying the LS7 is more than likely less "finicky".

Quick Reply: Motor Trend Pits the Camaro Z/28 Against the Porsche 911 GT3