Old 07-02-2004, 02:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Official BMW M5 Release

Source Autoweek: http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=02986726
[size](08:30 July 02, 2004)[/size]
Power Wars: BMW reaches new heights with next-generation M5

By GREG KABLE

When we gave you details on BMW’s new M5 due here next summer (Cover, April 26), we had to read between the lines to get the full picture. Now BMW has released the first official photos and more details.

At the new M5’s heart is a purpose-built 5.0-liter V10 delivering 507 hp. With individual throttle butterflies, BMW’s bi-Vanos variable valve timing, dual-flow stainless steel exhaust system and a stratospheric 8250-rpm redline, the BMW delivers its 507 hp at 7750 rpm and 383 lb-ft 6100 rpm. This is up 107 hp and 15 lb-ft on the outgoing model’s 4.9-liter V8 engine, making the new M5 is the most powerful road-going BMW ever.

The engine is mated to a third-generation version of BMW’s sequential manual gearbox (SMG), now boasting seven forward ratios and new electronics to speed shift times 20 percent. With 11 different shift programs, six in manual mode and five in automatic, the driver can tailor the gearbox’s action to suit the conditions. There’s even a launch control function.

Another new feature is the M5’s power button. At start up, the driver is given access to 400 hp in a default program, dubbed P400. Depressing the button unleashes P500 and the engine’s full 507 hp wallop along with a more responsive throttle. In P500 BMW says the new car will hit 60 mph in 4.7 seconds and its 155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec. With its speed-limiting chip removed, BMW says its new sedan will reach 205 mph, although company policy prohibits official modification, even at the dealer level.

Underpinning the new M5 is a modified version of the 5-series’ MacPherson strut (front) and multi-link (rear) suspension. While the geometry and pick-up points are the same, the ride height has been reduced and more negative camber added to handle cornering forces BMW claims can top 1.3 g.

The new car also adopts electronic damping control (EDC), providing the driver with three stiffness levels: comfort, normal and sport. The EDC is linked to the M5’s power steering system, which provides the driver two assistance levels.

There’s also two-stage dynamic stability control (DSC); the first stage with grip levels corresponding to a standard 5-series, the second stage, dubbed M Dynamic, allowing what BMW describes as “greater levels of slip.” Helping to rein the new M5 in are impressive looking 14.75-inch (front) and 14.5-inch (rear) ventilated and cross-drilled steel discs with twin-piston aluminum calipers. BMW says 62 to 0 mph takes less than 118 ft and 124 to 0 mph less than 460 ft.

BMW claims the new M5 can lap the Nürburgring, where much of its development was done, in 8 minutes, 25 seconds less than the outgoing M5.
Old 07-02-2004, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Source GermanCarFans.com
http://www.germancarfans.com/news.cf...007/bmw/1.html

New BMW M5 Unveiled
Text & photos courtesy BMW Great Britain
edited 07-02-2004

Over 100bhp per litre for the fourth generation super saloon
BMW Great Britain has announced first details of the forthcoming BMW M5. Faithfully resembling the Concept M5 revealed at the Geneva Motorshow in March 2004, the fourth generation of ‘businessman’s express’ will be the most powerful BMW road car ever built, generating 507bhp and surpassing the magical 100bhp per litre mark.

Translating BMW’s Formula 1 experience directly into a road car, the new BMW M5 is powered by a normally aspirated five-litre V10 engine – a first for BMW – with the two five-cylinder banks arranged at a 90-degree angle. Redlined at 8,250rpm, the 507bhp and 520Nm of torque propels the car from zero to 62mph in 4.7seconds and to 124mph in 15 seconds before reaching an electronically limited top speed of 155mph. Without the limiter, the new M5 would be capable of an awe-inspiring 205mph. These levels of performance, when combined with the lightweight aluminium chassis and body panels from the 5 Series, ensure the new M5 can lap the infamous ‘Nordschleife’ at the Nürburgring in approximately eight minutes – a time rarely achieved even by high performance sports cars.

The new BMW M5 produces over 25 per cent more power than the outgoing M5 that itself set the benchmark as the ultimate sports saloon. This is made possible, in part, by the bi-VANOS variable valve timing and individual throttle butterflies fitted to the new car. Ensuring an optimum charge from every combustion cycle these features increase performance, flexibility and responsiveness, offer inspired fuel consumption and emissions figures and ensure the car exceeds EU4 standards.

Power is transmitted through the world’s first production car seven-speed sequential gearbox with Drivelogic, changing gears 20 per cent faster than the previous generation SMG transmission. The gearbox offers eleven different change patterns, six of which allow the drive to vary the speed and response of gear change in the manual selection mode and five in the automatic mode. The sixth pattern in manual is reserved for the Launch Control function, giving the driver the fastest possible acceleration from standstill.

The new M5 also features a new DSC traction control system specifically developed for the car. Offering three settings, the default mode offers drivers the high levels of performance and stability you would expect of a car wearing the ‘M’ badge. But by pressing the DSC button once the car reverts to M Dynamic Mode to allow an enthusiastic driver the ability to push the M5 to the absolute limits of traction, even permitting some sideslip and countersteering. If the DSC button is pressed again and held down DSC is completely disengaged.

Assisting further with performance the BMW M5 also comes with an MDrive button on the steering wheel, offering a one-touch function that changes the settings on the car to an enhanced sporting character. This set-up is formatted via iDrive with the owner choosing the preferred SMG, Electronic Damper Control and DSC modes and, if specified, the rate of support the Active Seat Control side bolsters offer. Once programmed, the driver just presses the MDrive button on the steering wheel to transform the character of the M5.

The function of the standard fit Head-up Display is also altered when the MDrive button is activated. The default setting sees speed, navigation instructions, check control messages and cruise control settings projected onto the windscreen in the driver’s line of sight. However, if MDrive is activated the display changes to a rev counter including vehicle speed that both flash at the driver when the next gear needs to be selected.

While the chassis, suspension and steering of the M5 are based on the design of the 5 Series, almost all components are new. The M5 also features a variable M differential lock that offers a high level of driving stability and traction, especially when accelerating out of high-speed corners. Stopping power in the M5 is also enhanced courtesy of a high performance braking system with cross-drilled ventilated discs and twin-piston callipers. This braking system, in combination with the lightweight materials incorporated in the 1,755kgs car, ensures that the M5 decelerates from 62mph to zero in just 36 metres or 124mph to zero is reached in 140 metres.

Visually, the new M5 takes the distinctive looks of the 5 Series to another level, with modified front and rear aprons and side sills. For the first time on an M5, the front wings now incorporate an air duct, which helps keep the engine bay cool during operation, and a new door mirror design. Wider wheelarches house the exclusive 19-inch M5 wheel design while BMW M’s signature four tailpipes alert drivers behind to the potential of the car in front.

The BMW M5 will be launched in Europe in January 2005, while deliveries of right-hand-drive models in the UK start in spring 2005.

Old 07-02-2004, 03:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Even with all that power, it's still not nearly as handsome inside and out as the outgoing M5.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TriShield
Even with all that power, it's still not nearly as handsome inside and out as the outgoing M5.
I'm glad they came out with a new one, I've already seen 2000 Model M5s with low miles under $40K now. Hmmm... GTO or M5....GTO or M5.....

Serriously though I would love a 2001 since they have the Angel eyes, widescreen nav etc.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:10 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't like the 2000 models either, it's all about the 2001-2003s for me.
Old 07-02-2004, 03:18 PM
rwb
TECH Enthusiast

The question is "What will be the msrp vs actual price paid at dealer"?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:05 PM
TECH Resident

The Euro Spec E34 M5 and the previous gen E39 M5 were Gods gift to the wealthy who actually knew how to handle a clutch and a stick. Too many gimmicks on the E60 M5. I could give a rip about a stupid button that bumps hp from 400 to 507. While I-Drive isn't nearly as bad as those technical doofs at car mags make it out to be, it is not necessary. And The fact that Honda dialed back the redline on this years S2000 is a sign that according to Honda (maker of some of the most high revving street car motors in the world) most people don't want to be revving to the stratoshpere everyday. All that plus theres still the issue of the fact that some people want to shift for themselves and last but not least lets not forget the obvious... 507hp of pure ugly. Ok well maybe not ugly, the E60 is ok and nowhere near the disaster that is the E65 7er but the E39 was just pure handsome as was the E34 before it. Shame that awesome V10 has to be saddled with a souless car IMO. C'monnnnnnn CTS-V.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:43 AM
12 Second Club

I guess that BMW made all it could using the visually shitty 5-series as a starting point. The scary thing is how many levels of execs are silly enough to have approved that design for the 5... Kinda makes ya wonder. The last gen M5 was such a sleeper, great undersated looks.

The question is "What will be the msrp vs actual price paid at dealer"?
As with any other desireable new model, the guys that have to have it before anybody else are gonna pay for that luxury- supply vs. demand.

Last edited by baddogz28; 07-03-2004 at 09:53 AM.
Old 07-06-2004, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
The Euro Spec E34 M5 and the previous gen E39 M5 were Gods gift to the wealthy who actually knew how to handle a clutch and a stick. Too many gimmicks on the E60 M5. I could give a rip about a stupid button that bumps hp from 400 to 507. While I-Drive isn't nearly as bad as those technical doofs at car mags make it out to be, it is not necessary. And The fact that Honda dialed back the redline on this years S2000 is a sign that according to Honda (maker of some of the most high revving street car motors in the world) most people don't want to be revving to the stratoshpere everyday.
The S2000 has a new redline because they upped the stroke. _EVERYONE_ was complaining about a lack of low-end torque, so they increased the stroke and reaised displacement from 2.0 liters to 2.2 liters. HP stayed the same, but the Torque peek is now 1,000 RPM lower and 17 ft-lbs higher.

FWIW though, my bike redlines at 15,000 RPM
Old 07-07-2004, 03:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
The S2000 has a new redline because they upped the stroke. _EVERYONE_ was complaining about a lack of low-end torque, so they increased the stroke and reaised displacement from 2.0 liters to 2.2 liters. HP stayed the same, but the Torque peek is now 1,000 RPM lower and 17 ft-lbs higher.

FWIW though, my bike redlines at 15,000 RPM
Well I know about the bump in stroke. In fact the plan was to rename the car S2200 but Honda decided to just stick with S2000. My point was that the sky high redline and hp/l ratio are two things Honda touted when the S2000 originally came to market but eventually the realized through criticism that the car needed a bit more low end grunt and people were willing to sacrifice a few revs for a bit more user friendly torque.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bruddah_man_matt
Well I know about the bump in stroke. In fact the plan was to rename the car S2200 but Honda decided to just stick with S2000. My point was that the sky high redline and hp/l ratio are two things Honda touted when the S2000 originally came to market but eventually the realized through criticism that the car needed a bit more low end grunt and people were willing to sacrifice a few revs for a bit more user friendly torque.
Nah, I think it was just plain old fashion marketing. They had to rev the pee out of it to make any power, so they decided to play to that as an advantage. "look at our...er...uhm.... technology.....yea, highest red-line......er..uh.....torque?....uhm.... Look at the freekin redline man! 9000RPM!"
Old 07-07-2004, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Nah, I think it was just plain old fashion marketing. They had to rev the pee out of it to make any power, so they decided to play to that as an advantage. "look at our...er...uhm.... technology.....yea, highest red-line......er..uh.....torque?....uhm.... Look at the freekin redline man! 9000RPM!"
Exactly, the high redline and hp/l ratio were two things Honda touted as these awesome acheivements in the beginning of the cars life as I said. Me wonders which vehicle sore losers of the small displacement crowd will point to as being uber 1337 and having some awesome hp/l ratio now that the S2000 no longer sports 120 hp/l.
Old 07-07-2004, 05:08 PM
TECH Addict

eurotrash...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

''155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec''
i call BULLSHIT... where is the flag...
Old 07-08-2004, 09:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by markss2oo1
''155 mph top speed in 14.9 sec''
i call BULLSHIT... where is the flag...
It has a limiter at 155 thats why it gets to its top speed so quickly.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

''to 62mph in 4.7seconds and to 124mph in 15 seconds ''
man, im all confused now
still a fast nice car though
Old 07-09-2004, 09:30 AM
Launching!

I would give my left nut for that

Old 07-15-2004, 10:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

200+ MPH?

cadillac what?

a LUXURY sedan pulling 1.3s is plain Illegal. 8000 RPMS? is this a bmw f1 or a 4 door car?

as far as the high revvnig-ness...what do you think C5rs rev to? they are using a "de-stroked" v-10 to make HP, and rev high it's great.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

It has a limiter at 155 thats why it gets to its top speed so quickly.

.... a 650 hp custom turbo 911 can't even do 0-150 in under 15 seconds.
lol

so i still call BULLSHIT
Old 07-18-2004, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by markss2oo1
.... a 650 hp custom turbo 911 can't even do 0-150 in under 15 seconds.
lol

so i still call BULLSHIT

Yeah, 155 in 14.9 can't possibly be correct.

Quick Reply: Official BMW M5 Release