Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Formula 1 is dead to me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Formula 1 is dead to me.

I don't know what to say or think about yesterday's farce of a race, but I posted a long write up on StreetFire about it.
http://forums.streetfire.net/showthread.php?p=3483
Old 06-20-2005, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Weird? Never cared much for the open wheel stuff. I am a drag race fan. New race every 20-30 seconds
Old 06-20-2005, 10:01 AM
TECH Junkie

I hear ya Shinkaze, that was just ridiculous. I have just recently started following Formula 1, but up until yesterday I didn't even know that could happen (6 cars in 1 race). I figured they would have cancelled the race or something.
Old 06-20-2005, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

i was watching a F1 race a few years ago and in the first turn on the first lap like 15 cars were taken out and i think under 10 finished the race.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:01 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Doesn't the FIA saction the WRC? Just kinda nuts that they couldn't work out something that was showed good sportsmenship and would have made the fans happy. Best thing to have done would have been to cancel the race or postpone it. I'd have to think that's what NASCAR or the NHRA would have done because at this point, it isn't about racing or points or politics but it's about people's safety and giving the fans what they want and paid for, a good show.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Junkie

they are a bunch of arrogant rich europeans. probably french even
Old 06-20-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Addict

F1 has sucked for years. It died in the early 90's. There is always to much "politics" and not enough competition. The same goes for the IRL and/or CART if they're still around.

I turned on the race (by chance) and they were talking about the tires, but I didn't know that only six cars were running from the very beginning. I thought the others dropped out after the start.
Old 06-20-2005, 12:45 PM
Teching In

NASCAR same templating is dead to me also...
Old 06-20-2005, 01:27 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

http://msn.foxsports.com/

Read the headline quick before it changes. That's the LEAD TOO!
Old 06-20-2005, 02:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
http://msn.foxsports.com/

Read the headline quick before it changes. That's the LEAD TOO!
What kind of crap reporting is that?

I mean I was rather pissed by the whole thing, but that entire article doesn't do jack to explain what happened and why. This is the sumation of the reporting from that article.

Michelin, tire supplier for all of the withdrawals, blamed the FIA. The FIA blamed Michelin. Ferrari blamed the other teams. The other teams blamed Ferrari. The Speedway blamed the sanctioning body. The sanctioning body questioned The Speedway's layout.
Great coverage.

Articles like that are just looking to point the finger at someone rather than find a solution to the problem.

-Adam
Old 06-20-2005, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

>>>And so the royals of racing arrived ... and the complaining commenced. Turn 1 was too tight. Turns 12 and 13 were too fast. The newspapers weren't giving them enough ink. There was nowhere to eat. The strip clubs weren't up to European standards.<<<

Priceless.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by technical
>>>And so the royals of racing arrived ... and the complaining commenced. Turn 1 was too tight. Turns 12 and 13 were too fast. The newspapers weren't giving them enough ink. There was nowhere to eat. The strip clubs weren't up to European standards.<<<

Priceless.
No crap sensationilism reporting.

If Anyone is to blame it's Max Mosley for the dumb 2005 FIA rules designed to tie Ferraris hands and end the Schumaker dynasty. With mandates like a single tire for Race and qualification, it's created a compromised tire design that cannot handle the riggors of a true race, and the fans are the victoms.

More Crap reporting from ESPN..
INDIANAPOLIS -- Michael Schumacher climbed from his car to a chorus of boos, the die-hard Formula One fans unable to accept his first victory of the season after more than two-thirds of the field quit in protest over tire safety....
Like hell they quit in protest. Ralf Schumacher hit a wall in qualifying at 200mph due to a tire blow out. (the event that started the Michelin Investigation) They quit because the tires were blowing up, not some kind of political ***** ache, or Anti-American statement. This was a safety issue and I can't blame the teams for not wanting to kill their drivers.
Old 06-20-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Addict

More Drama, the 7 teams that "boycotted the race" are being called to a special hearing at the FIA to face, fines and penalties. This is the FIA trying to pin the blame on the Teams. What a crock is this. After Ralf Shumacher had a 200mph blow out and smacked the wall, it was Michelin that told the teams not to run. Who in their right mind would send driver's out after seeing a 200mph crash, knowing it would most likely happen to them too?

Michelin's suggestion was either reduce speed in turn 13 by 150kph. (probably getting smacked in the rear by one of the 6 brodgestone cars). or install a Chicane. FIA says they should have just told the drivers to slow down in turn 13.

Are you kidding me? What driver is gonna slow down by 150kph when your competition goes flying past you?

Again, IMOHO the fault is on Max Mosley for instituting the "single tire" rule for qualification and racing. It's obvious to me, it's forced the manufacturers to make itres unsuitable for racing. Let's see here.

Barcelona: The Bridgestone cars are out because of tire failures.
Nurburing: Kimi Raikoden almost dies when his tire blows off the strut.
Indy: Ralf Schumacher almost dies hitting a wall at 200mph after his tire blows.

This harkens back to my big issue with MAx Moself and Bernie making rules to slow the cars down by forcing them to use unsafe equipment. Utter BS.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok they can kiss my *** we should band their asses from the u.s all together.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by zamboxl
ok they can kiss my *** we should band their asses from the u.s all together.
Ban Who?

The 7 teams that didn't want their driver's to suffer the same fate as Ralf Schumacker?

Michelin for not being allowed to bend the rules and give the teams a proper tire?

Ferrari for refusing to add the Chicane, loose the FIA sanction and effectively making the Indy-race an "exhibition race".

The FIA for refusing to change the rules for the Michelin teams when they refused to change the rules for the Bridgestone teams in Spain?

It's a complex situation, the fans got screwed, but what's worse is you really can't point your finger at a single person and say you're to blame....so I'll blame Max Mosely at the FIA, because he's trying to ruin the sport with his damn spec-class rules.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bullshit.

Easy way to solve the problem.

Either
a) Adopt a single tire manufacturer and they bring the tires to the track (Like the entire NASCAR series)

b) Quit your bitching and set the car up to make it run the course. Turn 12 and 13 are too fast?? Slow down then if it is gonna make you crash.

F1 is an awesome almost unlimited motorsports division. It has gone to **** in the last 5-10 years because of the stupid bitching and politics.

The sad thing is that the US COULD be their biggest market if they did things to promote it here. They ran at Indy last year fine (Well except that one crash in turn 13 where he was in the car for about 3 minutes before rescue got there) why so many problems now?

Like I said NASCAR has tire problems but you know what not everyone has those problems. The tires shouldnt bail out a driver or team that cant set up the car correctly which is what is happening and when that driver doesnt have the ability to set up the car then you get uneven tire wear.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

Actually FIA has already begun setting the rules for the 2008 season and a single tire manufatcurer was one of their new regulations. (pending)

At least that's what I heard on the "tele."
Old 06-20-2005, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shinkaze
Ban Who?
Every single one of them. FIA, and every team. They need the US more than the US needs another shitty open wheel series.

They are going to come here, make MILLIONS and screw the 100,000 people that showed up out of seeing the race they paid for and drove/flew from all over the country for.

I almost went this year with a buddy of mine. He went last year and said it was awesome. I wanted to see a 19000rpm V10 3.8liter car with 900+rwhp run but after this I wouldnt go see them if they ran at Summit Point which is an hour from me.
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh and then they bitch cause the bridgestone was a safer/better tire?? Who picked to use the Michelin? It was their choice. They got BIG money for running that tire shut up and run what you brung
Old 06-20-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 93LS1RX7
Bullshit.

Easy way to solve the problem.

Either
a) Adopt a single tire manufacturer and they bring the tires to the track (Like the entire NASCAR series)
My problems with this, is it removes competition from the tire manufacturers, so there is no need to inovate. Everyone get's crap product.
b) Quit your bitching and set the car up to make it run the course. Turn 12 and 13 are too fast?? Slow down then if it is gonna make you crash.

F1 is an awesome almost unlimited motorsports division. It has gone to **** in the last 5-10 years because of the stupid bitching and politics.
This is all result from Schumacher being so dominating all these rules changes were designed to handicap Ferrari.
The sad thing is that the US COULD be their biggest market if they did things to promote it here. They ran at Indy last year fine (Well except that one crash in turn 13 where he was in the car for about 3 minutes before rescue got there) why so many problems now?
Because Max Mosley and BErnnie at the FIA have been trying to institute rules to slow the cars down. Their STUPID SUTPID STUPID solution to slow the cars down was to make it so you had to run the same tire in Qualifying as you run on the race. No tire changes. Because of this, Michelin and Bridgeston have to design tires hard enough to last 73 laps of the race, plus qualification, meaning they're crap. The reason this turn 13 became a problem is because it was more stress than the Michelin tire could handle because it's a banked turn. The tire is only designed for so much downforce,it's designed for maximum LATERAL G-Loading, but not Vertical downloading. The Banked Turn was, in effect, over-loading the tire weight capacity hitting a high bank at 200mph.
Like I said NASCAR has tire problems but you know what not everyone has those problems. The tires shouldnt bail out a driver or team that cant set up the car correctly which is what is happening and when that driver doesnt have the ability to set up the car then you get uneven tire wear.
Again NASCAR doesn't have this silly one tire per race rule, so you can swap out a bad set of tires as needed. F1 you can't. So you have situations like Indy where a failure is discovered in Qualifying, and by the time it's too late.

Quick Reply: Formula 1 is dead to me.