Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Anybody get both motor mounts when only one leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anybody get both motor mounts when only one leaks?

I have a bad motor mount on my '05 and a GM service contract. Only the passenger side seems to be leaking. Has anybody's dealer swapped them both under warranty repair without evidence that they're both leaking? Both are original with 60K on the car.
Old 08-29-2010, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should be replaced as a pair IMO, especially since the other is probably in its own wear pattern and if you keep it on, could cause some issues for the new one; affecting it to compensate for the other side, if that makes sense...Also, I personally believe the transmission mount should be changed at the same time, for the same reason (but in a triangle sort of way). Unfortunately with the dealer though, it's not so cut and dry, but hopefully they will, although you'd probably have to pay for the transmission mount. If they're a good dealer, perhaps they will give you a break, although again sometimes using a dealer sucks with flexibility and what makes sense, lol.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:18 PM
Launching!

GMPP will only service whatever is broken. If it was a factory warranty, they might have been able to do both. I agree that they should be replaced as a pair. I had one replaced under GMPP and then the other one went out on me a few weeks later. I ended up getting CS Black mounts and have been happy ever since.
Old 08-31-2010, 04:33 PM
TECH Resident

I agree, they should be replaced in a pair.....get the tech to compare a new one to the "good one". I thought the passenger side was the only one bad because it was the only one leaking and banging. Once I had it up on the lift and saw how much the d/s had compressed I sure was glad that I had both there to replace....Good luck and if you catch a cool service writer you should be okay...esp since it's not a high ticket item and won't require an adjuster to write up your order.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dropped it off tonight. Probably only going to get one. I have a $50 deductible, so by my logic changing both would save me $100-$150. I may just change the other myself so both are new.
Old 08-31-2010, 06:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
Dropped it off tonight. Probably only going to get one. I have a $50 deductible, so by my logic changing both would save me $100-$150. I may just change the other myself so both are new.
I can't believe that they had em in stock....I waited for about 5 weeks and still couldn't get any through GM. I ended up getting a set from a guy off here.... who had waited GM out for a couple months and ended up going with a CS set and had them on his garage shelf.....If you ask around on here you might be able to find one to replace the other side super cheap...I remember a few guys that had one they were willing to come off of reaaaaly reasonable. Good Luck.
Old 08-31-2010, 08:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bamacaddy

I can't believe that they had em in stock....I waited for about 5 weeks and still couldn't get any through GM.
Don't know if they had them in stock. Guess I'll find out tomorrow. The drivers mount seems ok. If I go through the trouble of changing it, I'm only going to put in a new or aftermarket one.
Old 08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
Launching!

I still have the stock mount that was replaced. Its in great shape and even has the factory gm stickers on it.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:57 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good news. They are changing both. The parts are in the local warehouse, so I'll get my car back before the weekend. They did want to sell me front brakes for $330 and 60,000 mile service for $800. I told them no thanks, just the warranty repairs. I will do the aftermarket trans mount after the car comes home.
Old 09-01-2010, 11:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
Good news. They are changing both. The parts are in the local warehouse, so I'll get my car back before the weekend. They did want to sell me front brakes for $330 and 60,000 mile service for $800. I told them no thanks, just the warranty repairs. I will do the aftermarket trans mount after the car comes home.
That's good to hear they're doing both, sometimes even though a mount isn't leaking doesn't mean its not caving in. What dealership did you go to?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
That's good to hear they're doing both, sometimes even though a mount isn't leaking doesn't mean its not caving in. What dealership did you go to?
Schepel Cadillac in Merriville. The have a lot of experience with V's. Probably one of the biggest V dealers in Chicagoland.