Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Exhaust options -- loudness

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 12:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust options -- loudness

I have been doing a lot of searching and asked questions about the "Muffler Delete" mod before.

My question now is, after seeing comments but no answers, my question is:

Compare the loudness of different company systems (i.e. borla, corsa, magnaflow, B&B, etc.) to muffler delete option (with or without stock res)?

Is the muffler delete louder than after market systems, quieter, and how do they compare to each other?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 05:52 AM
On The Tree

Bear in mind, the only one that is a step up in diameter over stock piping is B&B @ 3 inches. Without the resonator, members who have the B&B say its the loudest. Personally, I gutted the stock mufflers and carved them out a little bit and had them rewelded and fabbed in an X-pipe where the stock resonator is. Saves about $400 from the Magnaflow and even more on the other more expensive systems. Heres one vid of many on youtube that you can use to compare all the systems:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwirccdtMkw
Old 09-13-2010, 05:59 AM
On The Tree

oh and here is muffler delete with an x-pipe. Dont know if the vid does it justice though. It is VERY loud in person. Sorry, no vid of muffler delete w/ stock resonator though (it got thrown away at the shop).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAxcpcZC6J4
Old 09-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

With stock manifolds and resinators. The muffler delete isn't loud at all. I haven't put my headers on yet so can't say what it'll sound like. In my opinion just muffler delete isn't loud enough.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

As long as you have the factory exhaust manifolds and cats, an x-pipe with muffler delete is actually a REALLY nice sound. When I went to the headers, no cats and big cam, it is impossibly loud..haha. After that I added Magnaflow mufflers and the cab is quieter than before but still has a nice rumble. The down side is there is a TON of rasp right at 2k rpms, but smooth above or below that.

The only time I could get a good sounding video was of the headers, big cam, no mufflers...other than that, cameras just dont pick up the sound properly.

Before mufflers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQsRzWzx64A

After mufflers..it actually sounds REALLY good at idle, but I havent found a camera that can capture it.:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk-pslm8gyM

Anywho, the only way to find out what you might like is to try and hear different types of exhausts in person. Going to your local track is a good place to do that or some club meets or car shows.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want loud mufflers, look for 'chambered exhaust' mufflers (not chambered as in flowmaster; these look like straight pipe with crimps). Not as loud as open exhaust, but probably louder than any other type of muffller. Rememebr we have cats, so those act as mufflers in a way and of course there's the resonator too. Personally, I don't like loud exhausts anymore, unless the engine is built for the sound (think Big Block Chevy with big cam).

edit, here's a pic...note they are not glasspacks:

Old 09-13-2010, 06:03 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the reply's guys.

Honestly, I'm looking for a good sound without becoming insanely loud. I don't plan on doing headers or high flow cats. Only mods i plan are the DIY intake i did, some sort of exhaust mod, and some looks stuff. Not really looking to do a whole lot.

So with that said, would you guys say that the muffler delete keeping stock resonators would be a good first step for me? Then, if i want louder, replace resonators with x-pipe if i see so fit?

Thanks
Old 09-13-2010, 06:21 PM
On The Tree

I think thats a good way to go. Partly because if you dont like it, mufflers are probably cheaper to put back on than having the resonator welded back in.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you do a muffler delete + x-pipe, a cheaper option is to just gut the mufflers, cap the holes and add the x-pipe. It's what I did and am pretty happy with the results. Not too loud but loud enough for your neighbors.
Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Cam, headers, cat, xpipe , stock mufflers. I love the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZd5BWppaqw
Old 09-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Teching In

I put the spintech x pipe from my gto on my car and did the muffler delete. I have cats and manifolds. My gto with headers and spintech mufflers was louder. If I were you, I would put in an x pipe, look at spintechs, and put some super pro streets, or pro street mufflers from spintech on it. You will love the sound. search my name on youtube for clips of my ctsv and gto.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

bone stock exhaust except muffler delete
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Z0JOxRdlrI

kooks 1 7/8 with high flow cats, stock resonator, no mufflers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByooOUvrnf4

same exhaust as above but with a cam and tuned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4JU1sbSFjA
Old 09-14-2010, 11:45 PM
Teching In

I keep seeing the muffler delete is a popular way to go. Why the mufflers instead of the resonator? Is the resonator less restrictive? I don't plan on big HP, but would like a little more rumble? Also any improvements on acceleration, fuel mileage? There aren't many V's up this way where I can compare the sound. So far I've been trying chase down a guy in a red V that has an aftermarket exhaust, possibly Corsa. It had nice low rumble as he pulled away from a stop sign.
Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really any gains to be had with exhaust besides long tubes. The factory system flows very well until you start going big hp or forced induction. Main point of aftermarket exhaust on this car is sound. The stock resonator has an xpipe inside of the case already and is packed with glass so theres not a lot of restriction there as well.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

I need to pick some mufflers to buy also...I've been torn on this for a while now. Since I have xpipe and will have kooks with no cats, I will need something to quiet it down a bit. I like the low deep rumble, not the raspy sound. I'm not sure what muffler will give me as close to that sound as I can get.
Old 09-15-2010, 01:50 AM
TECH Regular

why not just do cutouts? then u pick and choose when to be loud
Old 09-15-2010, 05:58 PM
Staging Lane

i just did the muffler delete and have the stock manifolds and resonator and love it... there's no popping like u get with the x-pipe and it sounds awesome at WOT through the gears... i've had the magnaflow catback in the past but didn't like the tone... this has a nice deep idle, a slight bit of drone under 1900 which is not annoying at all, and like i said, sounds awesome when u get on it... i was surprised it wasn't louder to be honest with you, so as a first step, i say go for it... plus u can toss on a nice set of 4" tips to improve the look... all said and done, under 300 bucks
Old 09-16-2010, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Sounds like the muffler delete might be a good way to go since I won't be making big HP, not to mention it'll keep my costs down.
Old 09-18-2010, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't know how much it is enforced, but i know in AZ it is illegal to have any form of muffler cutout, or to run an exhaust without a muffler.

Now whether they would count the resonator as a muffler i do not know.

A stupid law in that the intent it to keep noise down, so why not make that the law.

I doubt it is enforced much, but if you ever caught a cop on a bad day he could add that ticket to your list.

I keep debating a muffler delete, but i have a feeling their is more drone then i care to have. I ran it around the block with the catback off, and wow that was Drone with a little bit of good noise in the background,makes me think i may need a muffler to whip the sound into shape
Old 09-18-2010, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I don't know how much it is enforced, but i know in AZ it is illegal to have any form of muffler cutout, or to run an exhaust without a muffler.

Now whether they would count the resonator as a muffler i do not know.

A stupid law in that the intent it to keep noise down, so why not make that the law.

I doubt it is enforced much, but if you ever caught a cop on a bad day he could add that ticket to your list.

I keep debating a muffler delete, but i have a feeling their is more drone then i care to have. I ran it around the block with the catback off, and wow that was Drone with a little bit of good noise in the background,makes me think i may need a muffler to whip the sound into shape
Speakin of AZ laws Fuzzy, I'm headin down there today to watch the Hawk / Cat game. Probably gonna score tickets via craigslist or scalper so do you know if its legal to open carry for Nevadans in AZ? Off topic sorry. I'll be in the platinum V with gun-metal chrome stockers if you wanna hear gutted mufflers with an X-pipe lol.

Quick Reply: Exhaust options -- loudness