Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

what cam for maggied 05 v

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what cam for maggied 05 v

hey guys looks like i have found the car im gonna buy. its a black 2005 with 43k miles. it has a maggie and exhaust done. really clean car. now the owner had all the work done 2 years ago but has very little miles on the car as he is in canada and the car doesnt see winter.
if i buy the car my winter project will be intsalling a blower cam. i want to keep the car very drivable and reliable. i just think a mild blower cam would have a great performance gain.would it?
so which cam would you suggest. i saw this one on a well known website;227/224 .569/.563 114 LSA. it says its a blower cam and that its not recommended for 1.8rr. has anyone used this cam or one similar?
also does the ls6 come with factory 1.7rr? if not, what are they? thanks guys im really hoping this deal falls thrugh. the cts-v crowd seems like really down to earth car guys. thanks guys
Old 10-27-2010, 08:57 PM
TECH Regular

Not sure about the reverse split cam and a blower but the rockers are 1.7's
Old 10-27-2010, 09:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

custom speced cam would be the best for your setup, call EPS, contact Pat G, or East coast supercharging and get one custom ground for you. I recommend EPS.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

-are the stock rockers roller or not?

-i guess you cant get any better than a custom cam eh. just thought an off the shelf cam would be good but whats the fun in that.

-also, would headers make a good power gain on this set-up? i heard mixed reviews about them. one being that the stock manifolds create higher torque. is this right?

-the car has the stock clutch in it and the owner says its holding fine. when the time comes to change it which is a good clutch for a daily driver. i have a mcloed twin clutch in my lt1 sc camaro and its great feels like a stock clutch but good to 1000hp. but that would be way overkill on the cts-v and really expensive for nothing in this case.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

id do some searchign on this site all your questions have been covered many times.

real quick, long tubes+blower= great gains for the money over 20rwhp all day long.

stock lsx rockers are about the best factory rockers ever put on a car and IMO unless you go to an extreeme setup i wouldnt bother with aftermarket rockers.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
stock lsx rockers are about the best factory rockers ever put on a car and IMO unless you go to an extreeme setup i wouldnt bother with aftermarket rockers.
this is correct. the shop that did the work on mine, when i talked to them about cam work. they said unless you just feel the need to replace the rockers, you wont have to. the stock rockers are very strong and can handle serious power. the only time you will need, IMO, to replace them is when you start going with forge internals.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM
Teching In

thats good news about the rockers. i could pay to have the cam installed with the money saved not buying new ones. if works stays steady this winter maybe id buy a set of lt headers. are there any good ones for reasonable money, as kooks are very exspensive.
keep the advide coming guys, i really appreciate it.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 9chevy7
thats good news about the rockers. i could pay to have the cam installed with the money saved not buying new ones. if works stays steady this winter maybe id buy a set of lt headers. are there any good ones for reasonable money, as kooks are very exspensive.
keep the advide coming guys, i really appreciate it.
you have 2 options:

Pacestter or Kooks. and there is a couple threads floating around where the difference and benefits of each of listed.

short version:

Pacesetter: 450 bucks coated for Jet Hot. you will need to buy the connection pipe on top. the headers are only offered in 1 3/4". and they are made from mild steel. Pacesetters are a good budget friendly LT.

Kooks: 900 from different places for the header not coated. mids vary from 200 for catless to 400 for catted. they are offered in 1 3/4" and 7/8". and they are made from stainless steel.

my set up, bought through MarylandSpeed:

Kooks 1 7/8" - $925
Catted Mids - $400
Jet Hot on both - $250
Shipping - $0
Install - $300
Total - $1875
Old 10-28-2010, 09:55 PM
Teching In

that much eh. that will cost me 2grand here in canada. thats alot of money for 20rwhp. if i was building a drag car or street racer then ok but i just wnat the car to run past stock m3's and c63 amg's. i dont want a money pit either, like my 97 lt1 became. this car will be daily driven in the summer so i dont want to get too greedy. im pretty sure the maggie alone will put me on top against these cars. i dont mind spending a few hundred bucks for a cam and headers, but into the thousands, no way. im sure in a few years ill be buying a v2 anyhow. so basic upgrades for this one.
Old 10-28-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

that much eh. that will cost me 2grand here in canada. thats alot of money for 20rwhp. if i was building a drag car or street racer then ok but i just wnat the car to run past stock m3's and c63 amg's. i dont want a money pit either, like my 97 lt1 became. this car will be daily driven in the summer so i dont want to get too greedy. im pretty sure the maggie alone will put me on top against these cars. i dont mind spending a few hundred bucks for a cam and headers, but into the thousands, no way. im sure in a few years ill be buying a v2 anyhow. so basic upgrades for this one.
if you want that, getting headers is a good idea. if you want to save some money, a set of pacesetters isnt bad. you will se about 5 to 7 in the at the wheels less. the other problem be since you are in Canada, the Pacesetters are more likely the rust, being they are mild steel and not stainless.
Old 10-29-2010, 12:10 AM
Teching In

this is true about the rust, but the car will not be winter driven. if lt headers are only good for 5-7rwhp thats not much. that little with a maggie and maybe a cam?
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

this is true about the rust, but the car will not be winter driven. if lt headers are only good for 5-7rwhp thats not much. that little with a maggie and maybe a cam?
miss type, pacesetter 5-7 less then kooks without a maggie and cam. with the Maggie and nice blower cam, the 3/4" will restirct you even more then a 7/8". and you HP loss could be closer to 10 or 12.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Even with the stock cats and manifolds a maggied V1 will easily pull an e92 M3 or a c63. Heck a full bolton V would prob get it done to be honest. That car should be making atleast 440rwhp.
Old 10-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Teching In

ya thats what i was thinking as well. and the owner told me that the car dynoed just over 500rwhp. he bought the car already modded the only thing he did was install a really good clutch from a local tranny guy. he said the stock one only lasted him 3 days and he has the receits for the new clutch and flywheel. he also said there might be a cam in it already, hes not sure but the car pulls like crazy. he ran into a 911 the other day on the highway and completely destroyed him.
is there any way of knowing if there is a cam without opening the motor?
Old 10-29-2010, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

ya thats what i was thinking as well. and the owner told me that the car dynoed just over 500rwhp. he bought the car already modded the only thing he did was install a really good clutch from a local tranny guy. he said the stock one only lasted him 3 days and he has the receits for the new clutch and flywheel. he also said there might be a cam in it already, hes not sure but the car pulls like crazy. he ran into a 911 the other day on the highway and completely destroyed him.
is there any way of knowing if there is a cam without opening the motor?
sound of the exhaust...youtube CST-V cam, and you can here the cam note. the more mild of a cam, the less lopey the exhaust note will be.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:18 PM
Teching In

ok ill have to check it out tomorrow when i go see the car to either buy it or not. i already have the money order in his name so if all goes well ill take it. it does have a corsa exhaust and gutted cats as well so the xhaust isnt like stock. anyhow ill put it on a dyno asap and get some #s and should be able to tell if has other mods besides the maggie and corsa.
so from what ive seen on the forum, this setup should net around 450rwhp right. closer to 500rwhp would likely have a cam or ported heads right?
Old 10-29-2010, 11:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok ill have to check it out tomorrow when i go see the car to either buy it or not. i already have the money order in his name so if all goes well ill take it. it does have a corsa exhaust and gutted cats as well so the xhaust isnt like stock. anyhow ill put it on a dyno asap and get some #s and should be able to tell if has other mods besides the maggie and corsa.
so from what ive seen on the forum, this setup should net around 450rwhp right. closer to 500rwhp would likely have a cam or ported heads right?
maggie+cam+stock manifolds= stupid IMO, all that air being pushed through the car and not letting the car exhale is dumb IMO.
Old 10-30-2010, 01:25 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Been a long time lurker on here, but have posted on the other site.

Anyhow, the cam you spec'ed will provide little noticeable improvement over the stock LS6 cam already installed. I would look into something along the lines of the GT-11 cam or the TR Cheater V3 cam to get the most out of the small displacement Maggie.

Call around and get an idea of what the cam manufacturer's recommend for you and then decide. Be prepared, they will advise you that headers are going to be required for maximum benefit.

Just to give you and idea, my Maggie and 1 7/8" Kooks made 487whp after tuning. Hoping the TR cam and home ported LS6 heads put me well over 500 for less than another $1k. Maybe then I'll be done!
Old 10-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Launching!

It has been said by many knowlegable people on both forums that the stock manifolds actually flow fairly well and the biggest restriction in the exhaust are the 'cats'.
The gain seen from headers are usually long tube headers with highflow cats or long tube headers with no 'cats'. These comparisons are always made against the stock manifolds with stock 'cats'.
We need to see some data on stock manifolds with high flow 'cats' vs long tubes with high flow 'cats'. All other parameters being equal, I beleive that the gain in horsepower & torque would not justify a $2000 expenditure vs the gain on just replacing the flywheel.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

I dropped $750+ for a set of RT cats. I gained maybe 5hp but gained a lot of volume from the exhaust. Most people with headers gain 20+rwhp or more depending on mods. The more you mod the more headers gain. The V does not go against what all other LSx vehicles have realized. I gained 78 rwhp on my SS from a cam and Pacesetter LT's. That was with a slipping clutch after the cam as I never redynoed the new clutch.

FYI I have a set of Kooks in my closet from Paschal along with a custom cam that I will be installing in the spring when the V comes out of storage. I bought into the whole cats are the real restriction bullshit as I did not want headers on my Caddie. After spending 750+ for 5hp, I realized that is BS.

Quick Reply: what cam for maggied 05 v