Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS6 CTS-V vs G8 GT Reliability/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My WRX is damn near the same in external dimensions (except width) and I have to slide the seat about halfway forward to reach the pedals. I'm 6' and have way more head room in the wrx than I do in any of my gm vehicles.

Subaru plug aside. I had no issue financing my V with the bank. I don't see why it would be a problem. I looked at some G8s. There are things I def like about them. Found the interior, ride, performance was better on the V. I don't think you will find a g8 in your price range.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

owned both, would buy the V over the G8 all day every day regardless of any above mentioned issues. even Honda's have problems lol
Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

He could find a g8 within his budget. My girl and i found her black 09 g8 gt loaded out with everything other than sunroof in minty clean condition at a local dealer and it had just 24k miles for $23k OTD and that was over a year ago.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I consider my V to be very reliable, even after all the modifications I've done. The only things I NEEDED to fix/address since I took ownership at 36k miles almost 5 years ago:

-Front Rotors and pads all around (standard maintenance)
-throttle body replaced (not common, I was unlucky and my actuator died)
-fuel pump sender & pump (not common, mine fried possibly related to the boost a pump)
-motor mounts (common, the stockers are ****)

I chose to replace the front diff bushing, dual mass flywheel and clutch, and some shifter bushings to reduce drivetrain play and clunk. None of those were necessary but it made everything feel better. The stock clutches are pretty strong and tend to last quite long for most - mine was still holding 450rwhp strong when I replaced it at 75k miles. Many others hit 100k + on the stock clutch without issues.

You can most certainly find a V with all of those things addressed for under $20k, which leaves room in your budget to save for the vette.

There is a lot of talk around here about the rear differentials, but I can tell you that I have daily driven my V for almost 5 years and 40k miles, most of which was at ~450 rwhp, and I've been to the track and have had zero issues with the differential. I did have my dealer replace the original diff with the latest version (4) back in '08 only because I had a hookup at the dealer and was able to basically tell them what I wanted replaced. I was about to put the supercharger on so I took the opportunity to replace the original diff for free. I also don't have wheel hop except maybe in the rain and I don't have any anti-wheelhop kits installed, just the FG2 upgraded factory shocks, which I believe help. I have relatively sticky tires and even with the VHT compound at Maple Grove, no wheel hop. I don't see the need to be driving fast enough in the rain to encounter wheelhop, and so have only seen it a couple of times over 5 years.

Maybe I'm lucky and have a one of a kind V without rear end problems, but I believe it is a lot about how you treat (and beat) your car. There are a whole bunch of people that have busted rears, but also a whole bunch that have never had a problem.

Regarding suspension, my original FG2 shocks were still in good shape after 75k miles, enough to sell to another forum member. Everyone may not get that life out of them because it seems like others have complained they die young, but it was not my experience. The sway bar bushings seem to get beat up over the years, but that's a $30 & 30 min fix that will probably last the rest of the time you have the car.

Electrically everything works fine still with no issues except the freak fuel pump issue I had that I mentioned earlier. The whole radio, nav, power heated seats, every button, I've never had a problem with any of them.

The NAV is not the most user friendly, but I've found that it works fine when I need it.

I can't comment on the G8 but I'm sure it's a great car too. I'd say you are at least down to a point where you can't really go wrong with either option. Once you've driven both you'll have a better idea of which way you want to lean.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
STI's are bad *** little cars. I just can't take them seriously when I'm looking for a new ride. Just too small and compact for me. I'm 6'0 and a solid 235 lbs. Me fitting in a little car like that (although I've driven them and they are fun) would be a major pain in the *** to do daily. Those cars are for the shorter and smaller folks.. Lol
Originally Posted by lollygagger8
^Yes, this^ lol
Totally agree, plus their interior looks super cheap and plain.

However where do they stand as far as reliability? You dont see many near 100k
Old 06-05-2012, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I bought an '04 LS6 CTS-V three years ago for $18,500. Today's bluebook on the car is $18,686 so I'm not sure I agree with the statement that it will not hold it's value, especially if you look for a car with the bushings replaced and even better an upgraded rear end.

I just replaced the motor mounts, trans mounts and shifter bushings on mine with RevShift mounts and it only set me back $250 ($200 for motor & trans, $50 for shifter bushings & T-56 cup). CS has rear trans mounts that are less than $100 so we're not talking big cash for some of the reliability work.

Only other issues I've had were one TPMS sensor went out which cost me $50 and a new radiator which was leaking at the seals (also a common issue). I did replace the NAV unit with an aftermarket one mainly because I tore all the BOSE crap out, but I agree with everyone else that the stock NAV system is completly worthless in terms of useability.

The main issue I see with these cars is the weak rear end. Although I've had zero issues mine, all the horror stories have me super paranoid about aggressive driving. I believe you can replace it with the later model improved rear end for like $1,500 but I could be wrong on that.

Everything else about the car I love 100%, just itching for when the V2 comes down into the $30k range so I can pick one up!
Old 06-05-2012, 02:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I vote for the V... I'd rather bear the caddy emblem over Pontiac, but that's just me... If you find one that isn't beat to hell and you don't drive like a jackass you should be fine in terms of reliability... Like the others said just look for one with the mentioned items addressed
Old 06-05-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd shop for both and get the one that was the best deal with the fewest miles. There are pros and cons to each.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Good point. I haven't seen too many STI's with higher mileage unless they've had the motor rebuilt at some point. Leads me to believe modding them shortens their life by a pretty good bit. And yes, their interiors are cheap and shitty looking.

The V's hold their value. Everything depreciates over time... just the way it goes but its not like value is tanking. I bought my original 04 V with 100k miles over 2 years ago for $12,100 and it came with an extra rear diff that i sold for $500 so i really bought the car for $11,600. Was not perfect by anymeans so i put some TLC into it and made it more than presentable. It was a solid problem free car. Everything worked as it should. Only issue it had was the carrier bearing would make noise every now and then. Had not a single problem and sold it a few months ago with 129k miles on it. Even after the mods i added and changes i made to it, i drove it for over two years and not only broke even but made money when i sold it. And i find it funny when i see threads with people saying they have nothing but problems with their cars. I take car of my stuff and my high mileage V never missed a beat. It was still on the original 04 diff too. lol So dont believe what u read about them being problematic. I think that depends on the way its being driven and how well the owner takes care of their car.

The V i have now i bought from a good buddy for a GREAT price considering all the mods it has. Got it for a lot less than blue book. The only unexpected expense i've had with it so far is the new OEM front bumper cover i ordered from the dealer to replace the one i had on it that was damaged at one point and wasn't repaired correctly. Pain in the *** for sure considering i thought it was gonna be an easy re-paint and done but now its going to be perfect so i really cant complain. I'll drive this one for a year or more and break even or make money on it as well.

Its all in shopping around and finding the right deal. I personally don't like to lose money on vehicles (not like anyone does) but i spend my time waiting for the right deal and don't just jump at the first thing i see. I've owned many many many cars, bikes, trucks, etc and i have yet to lose money on a single one. Always broke even or made a little money after driving them for awhile.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:58 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bought my '04 as a GM Certified vehicle in Dec 09 with 44k miles...NAV, radiator, GEN IV diff already installed. Original owner tracked the car and sent #1 rod through the block at 42k miles, so it had a brand new LS6 crate motor installed. I got it for $19,300 on Christmas eve, its been one of the best (and most fun) cars I've ever had.

I replaced motor mounts with solid CS, headers, installed a Maggie (then uninstalled it in hopes of something better), Magnaflow exhaust, etc. Sometimes I wish I had an auto, but I would not give up the V.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by odthetruth
450? try 250. I paid 250 for all 4 rotors and pads for this V from Brakemotive.
Damn, was it $250? That's even cheaper than I remember lol

I bought them a year ago... they're still in my living room!

I'm just gonna throw this out here for the OP.

http://www.asankacars.com/web/used/C...orida/3815124/

It's in Florida, but just to give him an idea of what the market's like.

-meaty
Old 06-06-2012, 01:25 AM
Staging Lane

My v is a 05 I think it is reliable at 142k.

That being said it has new motor/tranny mounts, diff out of a 07, new nav buttons etc.

I'd even sell it if your interested.
Old 06-06-2012, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've modded my V pretty well, and I'll have to say it's one of the most reliable cars I've ever owned, even modded as much as I have. I think the only real drawbacks are maybe the battery and the rear end. <- only because I've drained a few batteries over the winter (cuz I was stupid and left it in while car sits all winter) and I blew up the first gen diff (which several have because of wheelhop) but all you need to do is get Gforce axles, and rid yourself of the problem. Oh, and the Nav sucks, but who doesn't just use their phone for that nowadays?

What car doesn't have drawbacks though, really?

I love my V, and for the price they can be had nowadays.....you cannot go wrong with one. Others have said it already, and I'll confirm.....most fun I've ever had with a car. Plus the ladies love it, and that's all that really matters lol.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

My V has been solid just little things like the diff whines(3rd and 4th diff variants). 5 gear whines(rebuilt then later replaced trans).

Anybody know how to keep the getrag from whining between 55 and 70mph in top gear?
Old 06-06-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Veteran

The Nav sucks *****. I dont even attempt to use it anymore. My iphone does a much better job of getting me where i want to go.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by garrettg
Anybody know how to keep the getrag from whining between 55 and 70mph in top gear?
Ya, replace it.
Old 06-06-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Ya, replace it.
Or turn the radio up...
Old 06-06-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heat shielding from the exhaust helped mine, but that's not guaranteed for all diffs.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ya, replace it.
The 4th gen has 20k on it and it's less than a year old. I got more mileage out of my last set of summer tires.

I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow since it was installed as a warranty fix but dang 15k when the whine started which is barely any miles for somebody who drives the car on the highway a lot.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Heat shielding from the exhaust helped mine, but that's not guaranteed for all diffs.
Any links to what heat shielding you speak of? I remember seeing a picture on a random post of this concept but if you have the info handy.

Quick Reply: LS6 CTS-V vs G8 GT Reliability/Maintenance