Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replace that driveshaft bearing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Twitch1
Hey guys
Started reading the posts from 2014 before I realized how long this thread was lol. So I skipped to the last three pages.
I found the website through google and see the core option is no longer available.
Also considered the rock auto driveshaft (to save down time) but I'm worried about it's quality.

I guess the DIY option would be best for me as I'm quite handy. My problem is that the vibration got very bad last night (I'll know better when I get under the car tonight) and I'm worried that I might cause other damage if I continue driving the car.
Personally, I prefer renting any specialty tools with a refundable deposit. Do we have an eta on availability yet?

Also, the coupler from post 545. Is it the same part number for front and rear?

Thanks
Tony
What is this Rock Auto driveshaft? I see a couple of parts listed, but not the whole driveshaft. The "carrier" bushing is the differential bushing, and the driveshaft center support listed is not for the V.

The rubber coupler is only located up front at the transmission output. The rear is a CV bolted directly to the differential pinion flange.

Unfortunately, outside of sourcing a replacement driveshaft, you're looking at some down time.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They have a dorman driveshaft. But it may also be listed wrong and not for the V. It's about $430 with free shipping

I'll wait for his reply on the DIY and do what must be done.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea that shaft is also the same part number as the v6 manual and it's not compatible. It was 550 to have mine shipped out and rebuilt as no one stocks them (they are a unicorn) so you are left with a couple options.
1. Gforce 1 piece (only aftermarket shaft I would consider)
2. New one from gm, it will fail again.
3. Rebuild yours and it will fail again.
4. The voodoo option. This one is the only one of the 4 that is guaranteed not to give you vibrations, it is not going to fail in the same manner and it also happens to be the cheapest.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With all the trouble others have had trying to retrofit a single piece driveshaft into these cars, I think the Voodoo option is the least invasive to a setup that is prone to vibrations.

However, the trouble with the single pieces may not be the driveshaft at all. It's likely the t-56 mainshaft issues (that was redesigned in the TR6060).

reference: https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-tr...vibration.html
Old 02-14-2017, 02:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Eta on the diy kit is very soon. We are building stock at the moment and plan to roll out tax return sale with new stock and diy.

The doorman shaft is absolutely wrong, it's for CTS.
While our stiffer (than stock) poly carrier will not cause new vibrations on its own.. anytime you add a stiffer mount where a previously soft or worn mount was, you run the risk of being aware of a previously unknown vibration. There's always a chance you have something else in your driveline causing noise. We highly suggest if going with a poly carrier to atleast have your engine and transmission mounts newly replaced or upgraded to poly as well to maintain a good alignment.

On another note, driveline vibrations are not always caused by a failed carrier. Can be trans issues, flex disc issues, sever misalignment, rear driveshaft CV joint problems, differential issues, bent axles, axle CV joint problems, hubs, wheel balance, and the list goes on.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:01 PM
On The Tree

Old 02-14-2017, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

It's not as bad as I thought it would be. I was expecting to find it shredded lol
But clearly it's sagging down quite a bit.
From what you guys see, would you think that's most likely my problem?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Look at it from the other side. The cap on the back of it is larger in diameter and is making contact with the heat shield when torque is applied
Old 02-14-2017, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Garage is tight and couldn't get a view from the rear. I do get a bit of a bump (almost like a pop) as I start rolling.
But to be clear, I should move forward with replacing the carrier, correct?
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM
On The Tree

I can move things around to get another view if you think it's necessary
Old 02-14-2017, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

Whew that is a sagged out bitch..

I'll say this an unbiased as I can lol...

It's always an upgrade to get rid of sagging rubber.. will it solve your vibration problems? Only if the misalignment caused by the sagging carrier is the cause.. we can also look at your rear joint (if you sent it in)... But specifically stating that replacing your sagging carrier will fix your vibes... I cannot say that.
Old 02-14-2017, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

While I can't promise you it sounds like it, what's your mileage? If it's remotely high-ish it going to have to be done at some point if you keep the car for a while. It is clearly sagging in the picture though
Old 02-15-2017, 04:55 AM
On The Tree

She just past 80K, so certainly due for replacement. I figure even if I have other issues this exaggerates the problem. I'll get in touch with the op and set it up

Thank you for the help
Old 02-15-2017, 07:34 AM

I would also be very interested in a DIY kit, and can get a cv boot clamp tool locally, so an option for the tool, I think would be best, but however you spec it is gonna work...will the DIY kit be posted on the webpage?
Old 02-15-2017, 08:26 AM
TECH Resident

You're mistaken sir. The CV boot clamp tool we designed and produce is not for clamping the rubber boot down which many tools are available for that... Our tool is specifically designed to clamp the steel boot cap down while you hammer the ceimp edge down to seal the unit. Noone else makes these but us.
Old 02-15-2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
You're mistaken sir. The CV boot clamp tool we designed and produce is not for clamping the rubber boot down which many tools are available for that... Our tool is specifically designed to clamp the steel boot cap down while you hammer the ceimp edge down to seal the unit. Noone else makes these but us.
My bad, I apologize...I didnt read that far into it. At any rate I am definitely interested in the product. Will you be posting the finished kit on the webpage?
Old 02-15-2017, 09:33 AM
Teching In

Default Can't wait!!!

Well, I've finally gotten my driveshaft out (it's been too damn cold), and just placed my order on the site!

Thanks for what you do!

Can't wait to tighten this old girl up!

Thanks again!
Matt
Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you! And yes updates will be on the site.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Jig plans are done. Instruction set done. Getting stocked back up right now. Availability 2.5 weeks!!!
Old 02-25-2017, 06:08 PM
TECH Resident

OK... So we sat down and went over the cost of everything as we haven't done an evaluation of cost on everything for almost 2years (minus the bearing units, which went up as well).. materials have gone up, shipping has increased almost $10 on average per box over the last year, like mentioned bearings have risen slightly, utilities, packaging, basically everything slowly gets more expensive.

​​​​​​We will have to raise the cost slightly to maintain this venture. However this increase will not take effect until after our Tax Return Sale which will run through the month of March.

​​​​​​10% off site wide

Status of the DIY kit is complete and awaiting injection onto the site with attractive pricing. We decided to always include our clamp tool and have a refundable deposit for tool return within a set time.

DIY kit contents:
VDC 30a Polyurethane Carrier Unit.
CTS-V CV-Joint O-Ring.
Kerbid.com steel bearing spacer.
kerbid.com CV-Joint Clamp Tool (rental)
Kerbid.com CTS-V driveshaft service instructions (full color).
Kerbid.com CTS-V driveshaft service jig plans (full color).
VooDooChikin Decal (Optional)

Quick Reply: Replace that driveshaft bearing!!!