Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gen 3 diff plus upgrades for 550whp street car?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 07:42 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gen 3 diff plus upgrades for 550whp street car?

I can't help, even after reading the archives on cadillac forums, if you did the bmr pinion brace and their anti hop kit w/tr arm brace plus a gen 3 getrag diff if it may be a high horsepower street car option. Of course I would say add a nice revshift ds coupler plus a set of dss or Gforce axles.
1500 on diff, 300 (maybe more like 500) bmr parts, 1500 complete axles=3300...which puts you 1400 away from flogging it like you stole it with a cs8.8. But it does save $1400.
I haven't found that many stories of folks with problems from the 08 gen 3 getrag revision of our diff. I don't plan to drag race the car, but I want to drive it hard and not worry. If I was going to drag it I would for sure get the cs8.8...plus a 4l80 conversion.
Old 04-19-2014, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My opinion is this:

You've invested a substantial amount of hard earned time and $ in to building a beast of a street car. You now have 550whp on tap, and you've spent a pretty substantial amount of $ on all the 'band-aides' for the rear end. But there's still one problem, it will always be in the back of your mind that you could break it if you start beating on the car, and of course you're going to want to. You'll be $1400 from having a bomb proof machine, that if you WANTED to track, you could all day long, that if you randomly decided you wanted to do the most obnoxious burnout in the world followed by powershifting through 4-5 gears you could. To me that's worth the additional coin.

That said, I have the latest gen diff, all the band-aide stuff and it has been "holding" 800whp for some time now. On normal street tires it would spin them so fast it wouldn't wheel hop at all in 1st or 2nd, or 3rd... sometimes 4th would hop.

I put my Mickey Thompson ET Streets on last weekend and have full traction in 3rd gear, no issues. i am terrified to go WOT in 1st or 2nd though, and that is why the 8.8 is on the way!
Old 04-19-2014, 09:35 AM
On The Tree

Agreed, whats the point in having all that power if you can't put it down? Like I said before, with all your bandaids, would you feel safe trying to do a burnout or launch the car 100+ miles away from home praying you won't grenade the rear end? I know damn sure I wouldn't.

Not to hijack but what are your mods where your making 800whp?
Old 04-19-2014, 09:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

LS7, 2.9 Liter Whipple, Cam…etc
Old 04-19-2014, 10:03 AM
FormerVendor

I have a guy that's wanting to bail out of an 8.8 kit that he bought a year ago. He says that he's been chasing a vibration that he just can't find and that he is tired of working on the car. So, he want's to put it all back to stock so he can sell the car.
I'm not sure what to think about the whole situation. I've talked to him a number of times on the phone and always hang-up scratching my head. There just isn't that much in an 8.8 swap that can cause vibration. He say's that he has taken the drive shaft (one piece aluminum) to a local shop to make sure it was balanced (UPS has damaged a few), it check-out OK.

I was going to send the OP a PM to see if he was interested in the kit, but then thought there might be someone else that could want it if he doesn't so that's why I'm posting it here.

This kit consists of our partial kit, which means the differential DID NOT come from us. The customer also chose NOT to get the upgraded outer CV's.
If one of you guys has been thinking about an 8.8 and would like more information about this situation send me a PM with your name and phone number. I will forward it to the guy with the parts. The two of you can work out the details about price and what specific parts you would like to buy.

I don't want anything out of this, just trying to put the right two guys together.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:18 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by gtistile
My opinion is this:

You've invested a substantial amount of hard earned time and $ in to building a beast of a street car. You now have 550whp on tap, and you've spent a pretty substantial amount of $ on all the 'band-aides' for the rear end. But there's still one problem, it will always be in the back of your mind that you could break it if you start beating on the car, and of course you're going to want to. You'll be $1400 from having a bomb proof machine, that if you WANTED to track, you could all day long, that if you randomly decided you wanted to do the most obnoxious burnout in the world followed by powershifting through 4-5 gears you could. To me that's worth the additional coin.

That said, I have the latest gen diff, all the band-aide stuff and it has been "holding" 800whp for some time now. On normal street tires it would spin them so fast it wouldn't wheel hop at all in 1st or 2nd, or 3rd... sometimes 4th would hop.

I put my Mickey Thompson ET Streets on last weekend and have full traction in 3rd gear, no issues. i am terrified to go WOT in 1st or 2nd though, and that is why the 8.8 is on the way!
After reading this.......Maybe sending you an 8.8 is a bad idea.....how about a refund and we call it even?
I am Not serious !! You better get Mickey Thompson himself on "Speed Dial".
Old 04-19-2014, 10:26 AM
TECH Regular

I appreciate the info CS...I think I would rather start from new with the upgraded axles and a diff from u guys,if I go this route. You know what I'm saying.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:57 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by grocerygetter
I appreciate the info CS...I think I would rather start from new with the upgraded axles and a diff from u guys,if I go this route. You know what I'm saying.
Completely understand 100%. Just wanted to throw out another possible solution for anybody trying to save a buck. To be truthful, not trying to "sell" you something. I am with the other guys that posted before me. The reason that you are asking about those other parts is that you want a diff that will stand up. The Getrag diff is a turd when it comes to launching the car from a stop. Plain and simple, it wasn't meant to be a street fighter.
Analyze how long you plan to keep the car and how you want to drive it before spending a dime. Money is a bitch, there is never enough of it. Just do some heavy duty soul searching before making a decision. You can only spend it once.

Last edited by Creative Steel; 04-19-2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Regular

Love all my cs parts... 8.8 is expensive, and piece of mind is nice.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gen3 diff came on the '06 and '07 cars. Gen4 diff was a later revision and is what is available new. Not sure on the difference between 3/4.

If you are into beating on it and doing really hard launches I'd go with the 8.8 kit because it comes with the axles and everything. If you're more of a roadcourse or smoother driving type I'd just stick with the current diff if it is in good condition.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
After reading this.......Maybe sending you an 8.8 is a bad idea.....how about a refund and we call it even?
I am Not serious !! You better get Mickey Thompson himself on "Speed Dial".

Orrrr...maybe you should start selling Mickeys...
Old 04-19-2014, 01:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and that is why the 8.8 is on the way!
Let me know if you decide to sell your axles.
Old 04-19-2014, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Will do. I have a buddy that has told me he wants them. If that falls through i'll get in touch
Old 04-21-2014, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

so still reading and learning...
The wheel hop force is splitting the diff because the diff case is weak. So, lock the cradle down and put a set of full axles ($1600 options from DSS or GForce) in the car and run a newest version of the differential. For a street car, why not? Honest question.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

For one simple reason oem diff is not rebuildable and you will twist the casing its a matter of time and it will howl like a bitch. And now you are 2600 into it said and done and still have to baby it. So why go that route?
Old 04-21-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
Gen3 diff came on the '06 and '07 cars. Gen4 diff was a later revision and is what is available new. Not sure on the difference between 3/4. .
Short answer is likely: 'if the V3 was good enough, the V4 probably wouldn't exist'
Old 04-21-2014, 04:53 PM
Teching In

Just throwing it out there...I've blown 2 diffs and one was a Gen4. The Gen4 twisted the case apart at the pinion on merely a hard 1-2 shift in damp conditions.

I'm saving up for a 8.8 because I know the junkyard diff I have in there now is only a matter of time before it goes...and that's with GeForce axle. The peace of mind of an 8.8 will be soooo worth it.
Old 04-21-2014, 05:03 PM
FormerVendor

and that is why the 8.8 is on the way!
Anybody wanna guess who's 8.8 diff just got picked up by UPS?
Old 04-21-2014, 06:22 PM
TECH Regular

So still killing diffs with good axles. That answers that I guess. My plan is pull out all the stops NA then spray 100...so I am thinking now that my only option is going to be the 8.8 or 9". That sucks that we have to do this with this car but it's awesome that the options are there.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Creative Steel
Anybody wanna guess who's 8.8 diff just got picked up by UPS?
Just got the tracking info email!

I'll report back with how fun it is to beat on this thing like it has always wanted...

Quick Reply: Gen 3 diff plus upgrades for 550whp street car?