Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

B&B Resonator Catback VS. Muffler Delete

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:13 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default B&B Resonator Catback VS. Muffler Delete

OK Guys, I’m sick of my v-twin Kawasaki lawn mower being the best sounding motor I own. I’ve listened to every Youtube video. I’ve read damn near every thread I can find on every forum. Yet, I’m still undecided on what to do for the best sound on my stock 04 V. At the moment I’m not willing to invest the cash in headers and hi-flow cats and I really just want to get a nice deep sounding exhaust note without being totally obnoxious.

I do not know of any other V1’s in the MA area that I could listen to in person, so I apologize for ‘another’ exhaust thread. I’ve never been a huge fan of the Corsa sound, and if Magnaflow is recommended, I’d probably just replace the stock mufflers. After doing all the research, I’m leaning towards a simple muffler delete or the B&B resonator catback.

Has anyone heard both of these exhausts options in real life on a V1 with stock manifolds? My preference leans towards a deep throaty sound and I’m trying to figure out which of these options is louder, deeper, etc. and I believe the few videos I could find probably don’t do the sound justice. I’m OK with some minor drone, but would be curious which option is worse. Any you guys in the MA area with a relatively stock V1? I’d hate to spend $200+ bucks on a muffler delete just to end up buying the B&B later. I just can’t take lack of sound on this car anymore.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Muffler delete with stock cat and resonator isnt TOO loud. You may want to put on some j pipes to reduce drone. I have cat-less obx, a borla glass glass pack and muffler deletes. I like the sound, just sucks around 1500 until i get the j pipes on.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:09 PM
On The Tree

Unless B&B came out with something other than the original 2 cat-back options the 'resonator' designation only refers to the center section of the exhaust. Both of the cat-back options have mufflers; one has an x-pipe and the other a large resonator.

I have the resonator...its about as deep of tone as I've heard. The 3-inch piping really plays up the bass in the exhaust note.
Old 05-12-2014, 01:37 PM
Teching In

I did a muffler delete a few weeks back and love it. (stock cats and resonator). It's not a whole lot louder but definately better than stock, with minor drone. Also used a set of stock 3.5 inch exhaust tips from a 2011 camaro ss. Muffler shop charged me $60 to add pipes, hangers, and weld on the tips
Old 05-12-2014, 01:51 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spin2nd
Unless B&B came out with something other than the original 2 cat-back options the 'resonator' designation only refers to the center section of the exhaust. Both of the cat-back options have mufflers; one has an x-pipe and the other a large resonator.

I have the resonator...its about as deep of tone as I've heard. The 3-inch piping really plays up the bass in the exhaust note.
Spin2nd,

I’m definitely talking about the full 3” B&B catback that uses the large center resonator like you have. How loud would you say the system is in general? Any comments on the drone or the sound level in comparison to anything else you’ve heard? I’m assuming you have the stock manifolds and cats in place. Thanks
Old 05-12-2014, 01:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have B&B without the resonators and it is very deep but also can get loud but not raspy loud. Very deep and subtle when cruising but it also gets nice a open at WOT
Old 05-12-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a B&B resonator I'd be willing to let go. PM if interested
Old 05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Teching In

It seems to me that everyone agrees that B&B sounds the best and the only negative comments are those complaining of drone. I used to drive a truck with flowmasters so I'm hoping it won't bother me much.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Go with the B&B, it sounds amazing, you wont be disappointed. I have full B&B headers all the way back and love every minute of it.
Old 05-13-2014, 10:04 AM
TECH Resident

cjmV - Where are you located? There's a used B&B catback for sale on craigslist in the Detroit metro area.
Old 05-13-2014, 07:54 PM
Teching In

I'm in MA. Thanks for the heads up though. Not a lot of V's around and the sound on most videos doesn't seem to help much.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

B&B sounds the best fo sho.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:53 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cjmV
Spin2nd,

I’m definitely talking about the full 3” B&B catback that uses the large center resonator like you have. How loud would you say the system is in general? Any comments on the drone or the sound level in comparison to anything else you’ve heard? I’m assuming you have the stock manifolds and cats in place. Thanks
Sorry, been away a couple of days. I do have stock cats/manifolds (and currently an exhaust leak). Car sounds awesome, by NO means too loud. Very deep sound, a surprising amount of bass considering it's still stock otherwise. It's not too quiet per-se, but if you let the RPMs drop you can drive by without someone really noticing its not stock. Come by wide-open and they'll notice for sure.

Very little drone with my personal driving style...really only get a little when i get lazy and let it get too low in the RPM range while still in a high-gear...I feel like the 'drone range' on this setup is more narrow than other cars/exhausts I've had in the past so its pretty easy to avoid...especially with 6 gears to chose from.

All of that being said...buy the X version and let me switch with you

Last edited by spin2nd; 05-15-2014 at 02:59 PM. Reason: iz cayn't spel gud
Old 05-15-2014, 08:49 PM
Teching In

I will be in the Ayer area on Saturday at an auto-x. I have the Magnaflow catback. I like the sound but it does drone at 2000rpm. I was going to just add the mufflers to the stock pipes but I found the catback on CL and got it for $175.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my full b&b exhaust with x pipe at idle... this is with high flow cats

Old 06-05-2014, 08:30 AM
Teching In

Well, I finally broke down and ordered the B&B (resonator) cat back last weekend. Hopefully I’ll have it in a week or two. The studs in my cat flanges look awfully rusty and it sounds like the getting the joints at the cats sealed can be tricky. Did you guys leave the donut in place?
Old 06-05-2014, 10:56 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by cjmV
Well, I finally broke down and ordered the B&B (resonator) cat back last weekend. Hopefully I’ll have it in a week or two. The studs in my cat flanges look awfully rusty and it sounds like the getting the joints at the cats sealed can be tricky. Did you guys leave the donut in place?
I had to leave the donut b/c the stock bolts/studs have that 'built in' nut on them so the flat B&B flange wont meet up with the one off the cat. As far as trouble...oh yeah, I have major exhaust leaks at the joint. I'm waiting to run to a muffler shop and I'm going to just have them put flanges on the stock cats to get me through until I get headers. I stayed sealed for a while but eventually gave-up.I'd almost think you could get away with finding a 3 inch rubber donuts or something and adding those to the 'sandwich' on top of the factory GM 2.5 ones.
Old 06-05-2014, 05:19 PM
Launching!

I've got my mufflers deleted, and an X pipe. I'm very happy. I might need mufflers once I get some headers tho.
Old 10-10-2015, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by spin2nd
I had to leave the donut b/c the stock bolts/studs have that 'built in' nut on them so the flat B&B flange wont meet up with the one off the cat. As far as trouble...oh yeah, I have major exhaust leaks at the joint. I'm waiting to run to a muffler shop and I'm going to just have them put flanges on the stock cats to get me through until I get headers. I stayed sealed for a while but eventually gave-up.I'd almost think you could get away with finding a 3 inch rubber donuts or something and adding those to the 'sandwich' on top of the factory GM 2.5 ones.
Resurrecting this thread instead of making a new one. I wonder if anyone's tried these to seal the 3" B&B to a stock style flange:

http://store.mooreperformanceparts.com/exhaust-systems/grimmspeed-subaru-3-downpipe-to-stock-cat-back-adapter/

Sorry about the copy/paste. My phone crashes if I hit the hyperlink button.

The Subaru stock catback has a similar donut/ball socket as the V cat-pipes. I dunno about $80 to try it out tho.
Old 10-11-2015, 12:05 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by isis
The Subaru stock catback has a similar donut/ball socket as the V cat-pipes. I dunno about $80 to try it out tho.
Ah, the Subaru donut gasket. Fond memories.

Quick Reply: B&B Resonator Catback VS. Muffler Delete