Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

First gen CTS V engine swap questions LS6-LS2

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2014, 10:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First gen CTS V engine swap questions LS6-LS2

05 CTS V LS6 5.7L

so i just recently bought a ls2 to replace my blown ls6
but i just heard that i need a couple of things done before i can get it running.
like:
cam-sensor extension harness
crank-sensor extension and adapter harness
Tune to account for the extra cubicinches,witch is no problem,i already had that on my to do list.

but other than that i should be good right? or is there something else i don't know about ?

thanks for all the help and heads up
Old 10-13-2014, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The knock sensors on the ls2 are in a different location, the ls6 has it in the valley cover while the ls2 have them on the side of the engine if i remember correctly.
Old 10-14-2014, 12:15 PM
Teching In

ooo i see, thanks..

but is that all i need to extend on the harness?
Old 10-14-2014, 12:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What vehicle is the LS2 out of? You have to make sure the reluctor wheels match.
Old 10-14-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mud flaps.

Get the naked lady ones.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bmylez
what vehicle is the ls2 out of? You have to make sure the reluctor wheels match.

so i did a bit more research, called rpm in california

the wheels are different and i bought the converter kit for it for lingfelter or whatever cost 300 bucks shipped from summit ,came in the next day so hopefully that goes well ,still need to drop the engine is and all . Thanks for all the help guys
Old 10-16-2014, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Using that converter is not ideal, at all. Heard of a lot of people having issues with it. If it ***** the bed, car won't run for ****. I personally would have the reluctor changed since the motor is already out of the car. It's a pain, but it makes life way easier.
Old 10-16-2014, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bmylez
Using that converter is not ideal, at all. Heard of a lot of people having issues with it. If it ***** the bed, car won't run for ****. I personally would have the reluctor changed since the motor is already out of the car. It's a pain, but it makes life way easier.
While I'd be wary of 'heard people having issues' but if you do it right once, you don't have to do it wrong 10 times. Seriously. Don't cut corners or be in a hurry with equipment from which you desire 10+ years of service.
Old 10-17-2014, 04:51 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Lingenfelter box is garbage. Avoid it at all cost.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:52 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Trg-002

Care to elaborate?

We have shipped over two thousand of these with many of them being used by people every day on daily driver vehicles and others being used on 8000 RPM drag racing engines.

Like any product, potential failures occur - some of them the fault of the device itself and others due to installation related problems (melted wires, poor power or ground connection etc.).

If a failure occurs and it is due to the product itself, we stand behind our product with a year warranty. Not many products in the aftermarket have any warranty let alone a full year.

Regards,

Originally Posted by DMM
The Lingenfelter box is garbage. Avoid it at all cost.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Knock sensors and other related conversion parts

Originally Posted by jcmorenols6
ooo i see, thanks..

but is that all i need to extend on the harness?
You can't use the LS2 knock sensors with the LS6 engine management because they are a different type of knock sensor (from a signal output standpoint) so the PCM on the 2004-2005 CTS-V won't recognize the signals from the LS2 knock sensors. You need to mount the LS6 knock sensors (that are in the valley of the LS6) in the sides of the LS2 block. Racetronix and others sell an extension harness. Make sure you get the harness that is just a knock sensor relocation harness and not the combined cam/knock sensor harness if your are using the TRG-002 module.

If you change the crank/cam reluctor you will need an extension harness due to the cam sensor location (front of engine vs top rear of engine). If you are using the LPE TRG-002 conversion module then you do NOT use an extension harness as that is built into the TRG-002 harness. If you use the extension harness with the TRG-002 the pin-outs will be wrong because the extension harness is also an adapter harness (pins are swapped).

I haven't seen a crank sensor extension and adapter harness before for the LSx engines but do not use that either. If you are using the TRG-002 module then our module has the correct connector for the 58x LS2 crank trigger sensor.

If you are switching to the LS2 intake manifold and fuel rails/fuel injectors you will also need to switch your fuel injector connectors. You can get adapter harnesses/adapter plugs or you can just get the correct connectors and change them on your harness itself (cleaner/more reliable).

If you are switching to the LS2 intake you will also have to change the throttle body.

The different injectors, throttle body and, to a much lesser extent, the increased engine displacement will require PCM calibration changes as well. The LS6 and LS2 cylinder heads are basically the same cylinder head so the ignition timing (spark) calibration is basically the same between the two unless you change other things that impact the engine timing requirements.

The LS6 intake will bolt to the LS2 heads/engine so if you keep the LS6 intake you can then keep your LS6 fuel rails, injectors and throttle body. If you also keep your stock air intake and stock MAF sensor then you may be able to get away without doing calibration work since the LS6 and the LS2 are so similar. It might not be 100% perfect but the LS6 calibration will run an LS2 with LS6 intake/injectors/throttle pretty well.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
You can't use the LS2 knock sensors with the LS6 engine management because they are a different type of knock sensor (from a signal output standpoint) so the PCM on the 2004-2005 CTS-V won't recognize the signals from the LS2 knock sensors. You need to mount the LS6 knock sensors (that are in the valley of the LS6) in the sides of the LS2 block. Racetronix and others sell an extension harness. Make sure you get the harness that is just a knock sensor relocation harness and not the combined cam/knock sensor harness if your are using the TRG-002 module.

If you change the crank/cam reluctor you will need an extension harness due to the cam sensor location (front of engine vs top rear of engine). If you are using the LPE TRG-002 conversion module then you do NOT use an extension harness as that is built into the TRG-002 harness. If you use the extension harness with the TRG-002 the pin-outs will be wrong because the extension harness is also an adapter harness (pins are swapped).

I haven't seen a crank sensor extension and adapter harness before for the LSx engines but do not use that either. If you are using the TRG-002 module then our module has the correct connector for the 58x LS2 crank trigger sensor.

If you are switching to the LS2 intake manifold and fuel rails/fuel injectors you will also need to switch your fuel injector connectors. You can get adapter harnesses/adapter plugs or you can just get the correct connectors and change them on your harness itself (cleaner/more reliable).

If you are switching to the LS2 intake you will also have to change the throttle body.

The different injectors, throttle body and, to a much lesser extent, the increased engine displacement will require PCM calibration changes as well. The LS6 and LS2 cylinder heads are basically the same cylinder head so the ignition timing (spark) calibration is basically the same between the two unless you change other things that impact the engine timing requirements.

The LS6 intake will bolt to the LS2 heads/engine so if you keep the LS6 intake you can then keep your LS6 fuel rails, injectors and throttle body. If you also keep your stock air intake and stock MAF sensor then you may be able to get away without doing calibration work since the LS6 and the LS2 are so similar. It might not be 100% perfect but the LS6 calibration will run an LS2 with LS6 intake/injectors/throttle pretty well.
Buncha good info right there.
Old 10-18-2014, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you keeping the heads from the LS6? I'll take em off your hands if you want to sell them.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:17 AM
Teching In

yeah i still got them, shoot me an offer.
i live in southern california
Old 10-20-2014, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE

wow thanks a BUNCH!!!!!!!!!!

ill probable ask more questions once i get to them ha
Old 04-16-2015, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS2 swap

I know this thread is old, but I'm about to embark on the same swap in a few weeks and I wanna make sure I have everything needed to finish it in a timely manner..gonna tune knock sensor out so don't need that...how was the TRG-002 install? Other than that, gaskets, LS2 injector adapters, what else did you encounter?
Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gonna tune knock sensor out so don't need that...
Well my first suggestion would be don't tune the knock sensors out. I know they can be a pain but if this is a daily driver or your not testing your fuel on every fill up then they can save an engine quickly.

The LS6 intake outflows the LS2 so I would stick with it and the rails, injectors, etc. While I have no experience with the Lingenfelter product I much prefer a simple solution where possible. IMO replacing the reluctor and extending a harness is much simpler.
Old 04-16-2015, 05:44 PM
Staging Lane

Default LS2 swap

My LS6 intake and TB are going to be used in this, but will be using LS2 injectors (just bought the conversion kit) I may be lucky on the Reluctor wheel, so that LPE thing might not be needed...is it safe to assume I can use my LS6 water pump, balancer, and other miscellaneous front end stuff?

Quick Reply: First gen CTS V engine swap questions LS6-LS2