Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

SMH... Clockspring...

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy SMH... Clockspring...

So, long story short I had to get an Auto Zone rack and pinion and I've gone through two of them already. This last one failed entirely and I spun my steering wheel around way too many times. I'm sure that the clockspring will need replaced. Are the clocksprings the same for CTS and CTS-V's? Also, does anyone have a spare rack they want to sell by any chance? Any comments or info is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:17 PM
Teching In

By the way the company that does the remans for Auto Zone is called 3F and they have a terrible reputation for their rebuilds. Because the rack TOTALLY failed it cause my clock spring to go due to the rack being straight garbage.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I recently replaced my clockspring in my 04 V... I replaced it with a used steering wheel harness (because the clockspring unit is part of the entire steering column harness)... it was all the same EXCEPT... I removed the wire and pins from my V harness for the fog lights (orange wire I believe[one of a million]).. and I had to jump a ground inside the steering wheel harness because the Base CTS clockspring doesnt have a ground wire for the traction control ON/OFF... it was no biggie. I just spliced into a ground wire next to it and hooked it up in the connector ( I sort of remember salvaging a ground wire with pin from the broken harness and using that to splice into the ground I needed, that was it had the pin to plug into the connector perfectly). All the connectors were the same and had provisions for all the wiring. Those were the only two differences. I had used all kinds of extremely hard to find diagrams that I spent days finding on my own. Ultimately what really made all the difference was physically comparing the two harnesses side by side and seeing what I actually needed to swap over. Those are the only two.

Last edited by voodoochikin04; 01-27-2015 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:33 PM
Teching In

Was it hard to do? How much was the part?
Old 01-27-2015, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

I found my part used on ebay for $50 shipped....VS $260 from dealer with my discount. It wasnt near as bad as it looked.. I just took pics of where the column harness ran around the column. IDK if youve ever pulled the steering wheel before but It can be a hassle. you have to unhook all the little clips from the ignition, passkey, everything because its all part of that harness. Then you have to add that fog light wire into the CTS harness if thats what you use.. and then make the ground splice in the steering wheel harness.

how hard was it? is way to relative to go by.... I dont know your mechaical capabilites. Ive done a clutch swap on this car, and just finished a heater core replacement which involves removing the entire dash and ****... so to me, the clockspring- while appearing intimidating and daunting...in hindsight isnt that bad. I can have the airbag removed, and steering wheel off in about 5 minutes now.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:05 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a BAD overwound clock spring. I popped mine apart to verify that it was trashed. I had one circuit of the ribbon cable that didnt have connection anymore. I even unhooked the ribbon internally, tried cutting the bad end off, stripping the circuits and reattaching. Which in theory should have worked but didnt for me. Then the matter of rewinding it properly---ugh.. On the left side connection are two pink wires and a black ground on the end.. thats the ground for the traction control ON/OFF...IIRC... its missing on the Base CTS unit.. which is why I had to splice another ground wire in the steering wheel harness.

If you have never removed the plastic trim around the steering column and around the ignition switch.. its tricky. the ignition switch must be removed via sticking a long skinny rod into a release hole underneath it in the plastic bezel, while turning the ignition with the key in... the whole cylinder will pop out. then remove two torx screws from the bottom plastic bezel and maneuver it off.. then there is a single inverted torx screw from underneath that holds the top plastic bezel on... a 4mm socket works for that one.. and wha la!! exposed steering column.!!
Old 01-27-2015, 04:06 PM
Teching In

ok cool. I'm going to look for a clock spring. Someone told me all the manual CTS's use the same one V or not. Can you confirm or deny that?
Old 01-27-2015, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

I can confirm that the dealer had a different part # for the V harness. I can confirm that the CTS harness I purchased was missing those circuits I stated. No matter what you buy, youre going to want to compare your existing harness to the replacement one to make sure your not missing things you need. None of the CTS cars ive seen have traction control on the steering wheel.. so right there means any CTS harness will be slightly different.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Teching In

I just found out that all manual CTS's use the same one. Thanks again for all the info.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:24 PM
TECH Resident

How do you figure? the steering wheel controls of a CTS manual or not are different than a V steering wheel controls.. which is why you need to modify things a little... So if you this is for a V.. they are not the same and your source is wrong.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:34 PM
Teching In

My source is darkman from the caddy forums. he even gave me a part number that was for both cts and cts v manual and someone else from another page also said the same thing.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:03 PM
TECH Resident

I guess we will see. they have different controls. Either way, the most youd have to do is modify two wires.. make sure to take pics and post them!
Old 01-27-2015, 05:09 PM
Teching In

i won't be doing it myself. I work so much I don't have time but my buddy's shop will help me and discount the labor.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

http://www.gmpartscenter.net/oe-gm/26103421
Old 01-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Teching In

thats the same part number i got from darkman. thanks guys!

Quick Reply: SMH... Clockspring...