Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Question about heads

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2015, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about heads

So i have to pull the heads to change lifters because i have one starting to take a ****. If i'm pulling the heads i'd like to get some work done, i have a spare set of 5.3 2.5 stage PRC heads fairly new that i'd like to throw in there. I looked at the flow charts for the 5.3's and the ported 243's and the difference is very minimal. If i send the 243's to get ported i'm looking at over $1000 with new valves and springs, i'd really like not to throw down 1k at the moment if i have a nice set of heads just sitting around.....Yay? Nay? Thoughs? I'll also be getting a new cam but i can figure that one out on my own :p
Old 04-03-2015, 12:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Damn. I was really looking forward to this thread and

How many miles on the 5.3's? putting springs on those? Springs are never something to skimp on. And depending on the size of the cam, need (or should) be changed every 25-35k miles. But if they flow better the answer is obvious, why not put them on? they will make more power than unported 243's for sure. Only other thing I see is your heads have the hollow valves which are discontinued. So if you were looking for 7k rpm I'd keep the light valves.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can probably swap your valves into the PRCs unless they did an aggressive 3 or 5 angle seat grind on them... If you're worried about the weight. The PRC valves will probably be fine in there. What CC combustion chamber is machined in them?
Old 04-03-2015, 09:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Damn. I was really looking forward to this thread and

How many miles on the 5.3's? putting springs on those? Springs are never something to skimp on. And depending on the size of the cam, need (or should) be changed every 25-35k miles. But if they flow better the answer is obvious, why not put them on? they will make more power than unported 243's for sure. Only other thing I see is your heads have the hollow valves which are discontinued. So if you were looking for 7k rpm I'd keep the light valves.

The heads have maybe 1000 miles on them and they were purchased from Texas Speed with all the goodies

https://www.texas-speed.com/p-4345-p...-outright.aspx

2.02"/1.575" Stainless Steel Valves
PRC .650" Lift Dual Valve Spring Kit Complete with Dual
Springs, Titanium Retainers, Seats, & Seals
58-63cc Chambers

Part of my old setup on the Camaro, might as well put them into some good use. Cam i'm still researching, i need some self control and not go with something crazy, pretty tempting though. It's my DD so i'll probably go with a 224/228 114LSA, still researching....

Thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Question about heads