Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help Diagnose Clicking Noise from Rear End

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2015, 03:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Diagnose Clicking Noise from Rear End

Here's a video of the noise happening:

I only notice it happening when I begin moving slowly from a stop.

For reference, this started happening a week after I had the fuel pump/brake line recall completed at the dealer. While at the dealer, they told me my rear driver side hub had some play in it and needed to be replaced. I order a Timken hub and replaced it myself the following weekend. A few days later, this noise started happening on the passenger side and got worse as the week went on. The video represents the loudest I've heard it. After I took the video, I got under the car to check for loose bolts.

The rear trailing arm bolts were on basically finger tight. I retorqued them to 129 ft/lbs and it got rid of the noise. I drove the car the following week and after a couple days the noise started coming back. The bolts were still tight this time so I figured the bushing were worn out. I ordered some Creative Steel trailing arm bushings and installed them yesterday. To my surprise the noise was still there, just as prevalent on the first test drive. So now I'm pretty stumped.

The hub bearing on the passenger side has no play. Axle nuts and hub bolts are torqued to spec, trailing arm bolts are torqued to spec with new bushings. I have a 95A Revshift diff bushing and red CS cradle bushings installed with only ~2k miles on them, also torqued to spec. Any idea what could be causing it?
Old 07-13-2015, 07:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hard to hear exactly, but I had a similar noise, ended up being a bad outer CV. Can you reproduce it be brake torquing the rear end? If I held the brake pedal down, engaged 1st or rear and gave it a little gas without moving the car, I could reliably reproduce the noise.
Old 07-15-2015, 02:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Hard to hear exactly, but I had a similar noise, ended up being a bad outer CV. Can you reproduce it be brake torquing the rear end? If I held the brake pedal down, engaged 1st or rear and gave it a little gas without moving the car, I could reliably reproduce the noise.
Thanks for the response. After finding some threads about CVs failing on the cadillac forums, looks like this is the issue.

I can replicate the noise by brake torquing the rear like you said.

Did you replace or rebuild your outer CV to fix it?
Old 07-15-2015, 06:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I took the opportunity to install upgraded axels. Reused my good CV's and swapped in a low mileage used CV I bought locally to replace the bad one. New boots, new grease.

Quick Reply: Help Diagnose Clicking Noise from Rear End