Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Radiator??

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Radiator??

I have an 04 V that I've just bought a couple months ago....the longer that I own it the more little problems that begin to plague me. Now that it's begging to warm up I can smell coolant after driving it a lil. The check coolant light has came on once, so I topped it off.....I've searched the entire engine compartment over and can't find anything but a very little moisture along the top of the radiator...right where the plastic meets the aluminum, seems that it's evaporating for the most part......anyone had any radiator issues?? and if so what's a good route for a fix/replacement.....thanks in advance, BAMA
Old 06-03-2010, 04:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Radiators are a known problem for these cars. As far as a fix, make sure the radiator cap on the res isn't stuck closed and put a new radiator in it. Most likely it will begin to leak in the future as well. You can spend 800 for a Ron Davis radiator from Luke at Lindsay Cadillac if he still has access to them. Just google Lindsay Cadillac. Should be in VA.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Staging Lane

I think the Ron Davis is the way to go! I am still under warranty, but was on my fourth radiator at 26k miles.
Old 06-03-2010, 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

I would love a RD rad but with some of the stuff I have done, it won't fit in there anymore. Sucks for me. If they made a direct replacment that was the same core and tank size only with aluminum tanks, that would be sweet and I'd be all over that.
Old 06-06-2010, 10:29 PM
TECH Resident

You can get an OEM replacement, with ltd. lifetime warranty, from Autozone for $250. I'm sure some would advise against it, being an "OEM replacement", but for the price I think it would be worth a shot ... especially given the warranty.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

I have an aftermarket radiator from rock auto for $175. No leaks yet, but it's only been on a few weeks.

OP, if you can live with the smell, it shouldn't get worse. I think it sprays out a little when the RPMs/pressure goes up. My stocker was leaking for about two years. I only had to add fluid once or twice a year. Only when I started messing with it did it get worse.

Tony
Old 06-10-2010, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Ooops!! I forgot about the Rock Auto one that I put Twitch onto ... yah ... get that one (if you're looking to save some money and get the OEM replacement).
Old 06-13-2010, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Have the cooling system pressure tested, that's the only way to find out where it's leaking. I believe a lot of places do it for free.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this may be a dumb question, but could we add a weld strip to the 2 weak points in the stock rad to prevent leaking or at least extend life? i dont see how the guys who track dont eat a radiator each trip...

i had the intermittent smell on and off for 2 yrs . dealer did the pressure test at least 4 times and found no issues. im not convinced the avg pressure tester can hit ls6 levels?....or im just telling myself that so i dont think they are just lying ********. how could it leak on the road and NOT at the dealer...

anyway, im not sure where the my leak was originating (bottom hose connection or top seam), but it took a big crap on me at a light 2 wks ago and steamed real bad this time...popped the hood and it was spewing from the passenger side top seam that points directly at the engine. no big deal, im under warranty. i take it in and of course, now its "covered".

they replaced it, but it still smells every time i drive it...im not sure if thats because they test drove it 20 miles to check for the 6th gear vibration BEFORE replacing the radiator?? (the geniuses they are). now my engine bay is green ( not just a bit like when i dropped it off, more ike chartreuse. ive not had the time to personally thank them, but i will
Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Well i put a bottle of that $2.69 stop leak in....I know of the repercussions but after having it tested they found no leaks as well. I topped it off and proceeded to drive it 1,500 miles including a trip to the beach @ 105 degrees....I was super paranoid and kept my display on the water temp the entire time.....hasn't dropped the level in the reservoir a bit as of yet. Thanks for all the leads on a new one cause I'm sure I'll need one at some point.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
I have an 04 V that I've just bought a couple months ago....the longer that I own it the more little problems that begin to plague me. Now that it's begging to warm up I can smell coolant after driving it a lil. The check coolant light has came on once, so I topped it off.....I've searched the entire engine compartment over and can't find anything but a very little moisture along the top of the radiator...right where the plastic meets the aluminum, seems that it's evaporating for the most part......anyone had any radiator issues?? and if so what's a good route for a fix/replacement.....thanks in advance, BAMA
And you will continue to have issues come up as you own this car. They are expensive to own. I spent a quick $2,000 within the first few months of ownership, that did not include any mods except for the Creative Steel motor mounts.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Goats
And you will continue to have issues come up as you own this car. They are expensive to own. I spent a quick $2,000 within the first few months of ownership, that did not include any mods except for the Creative Steel motor mounts.
It's not that bad man. $2,000 within a few months of buying the car - yah, that's a little much. But in the big picture, these cars require little more maintenance than any other car that's more than a few years old. Sure, they have their issues (rear end, motor mounts, rads...), but so do many other vehicles. The fact that our V's are driven a lot more 'enthusiastically' than many other vehicles out there (as they should be!) just exacerbates the issues though. The only common issue that's gonna cost you good $$ to fix is the rear end. And if you buy a used V and aren't aware that you should be listening/feeling for any possible rear end issues, then you almost deserve to have to fix it...ya know?

Sorry...just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=wes8398;13471957]It's not that bad man. $2,000 within a few months of buying the car - yah, that's a little much. But in the big picture, these cars require little more maintenance than any other car that's more than a few years old. Sure, they have their issues (rear end, motor mounts, rads...), but so do many other vehicles. The fact that our V's are driven a lot more 'enthusiastically' than many other vehicles out there (as they should be!) just exacerbates the issues though. The only common issue that's gonna cost you good $$ to fix is the rear end. And if you buy a used V and aren't aware that you should be listening/feeling for any possible rear end issues, then you almost deserve to have to fix it...ya know?

Sorry...just my 2 cents.[/QUOTE

you must not have had a head light go out yet. I am happy to own the car and I enjoy driving it. But if someone bought the car and doesn't have the budget room they are in for a big surprise. The motor and the trans are basically bomb proof, that being said if a head light goes out or you need brakes=rotors every time, new tires, you need to have the money ready to spend. There is a reason that these cars have depreciated as much as they have compared to other cars of competing model types from the same years. I have an 04 with 81,XXX what does your garage queen 06 have on it.

My car is a DD that I have put 10,000+/- miles on since Nov 09' Yeah that's through a MI winter.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:35 PM
TECH Resident

You can put brakes on the car for the same price as any other comparable car, dude. You don't have to do rotors every time you do pads, either. Regardless, if you do your shopping outside of the dealership, you can get all said parts for relatively reasonable prices.

You're buying a somewhat higher-end sport sedan (that's also a Caddy)!! If you expect to get brakes, tires, etc for the same price as a dime-a-dozen daily driver like a Civic then you're sadly mistaken. Anyone who doesn't take that into account before buying the car is definitely in for a rude awakening; but that's not the car's fault!!

And my "garage queen 06", as you called it, has 58K on it and it's also my daily driver (through the same winters you get in Michigan). So "Yeah".

Anyway. Getting off topic. Sorry to the OP. I'm done on that point.