Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

04 cts-v cam question

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 cts-v cam question

I just bought a 04 cts-v and I need some help on what cam I should go with. So far the car has: magnaflow catback, underdrive pully and Lingfelter air filter upgrade. This will be my everday driver and sometimes the wife and kids will be with me. I am leaning towards a mild cam with a set of Long tube headers. My goal is to get 400 RWHP. Any Suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

As soon as I get a free weekend, I am going with the RapTr cam from Thunder Racing, but that might be a bit more than you are looking for.
Old 07-18-2010, 08:43 AM
Launching!

To get 400WHP by way of a cam will affect the drivability of the vehicle. You will also need high flow cats with the headers and depending on the cam, it may be neccessary for valve train upgrades.
Depending on your wife's attitude toward this, it would be much easier to obtain drivabilty with the HP your're looking for by way of a maggie. You will maintain fuel mileage, also. Remember: You feel torque, Not horsepower, and a maggie will get you there.
Either way, you will have the expense to have it tuned.
Good Luck
Old 07-18-2010, 10:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Stepside
To get 400WHP by way of a cam will affect the drivability of the vehicle. You will also need high flow cats with the headers and depending on the cam, it may be neccessary for valve train upgrades.
Depending on your wife's attitude toward this, it would be much easier to obtain drivabilty with the HP your're looking for by way of a maggie. You will maintain fuel mileage, also. Remember: You feel torque, Not horsepower, and a maggie will get you there.
Either way, you will have the expense to have it tuned.
Good Luck
WRONG^^^^^

My car drives like stock and still makes 400rwhp on motor. You may feel the torque down low but once your rolling its HP that keeps you going, I wouldnt pick up 4mph in the 1/4 with a cam and longtubes by gaining 7rwtq and 50 rwhp(literally).

maggie= 4500+install
cam and l/ts= 1800+install

you may get more power from a maggie but it is more money. and if you have that cash to throw down then do it....if you dont there is nothign wrong with a cam setup.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM
TECH Resident

or just do maggie + cam and l/ts...hehe
Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're just going to cam it, investigate the torque curves of the cams your looking at (in a car with basically the same mods/configuration).

If you're looking for tractability, you'll want a torque curve that would resemble a sideways parentheses (wide and evenly shaped) with the beginning (lower end) in area just below the minimum cruise rpm range that you use. This will assure no bucking and surging in the range where it would be immediately noticed. The upper end should also be a gradual slope as well. This will provide a broad range of usable power.

With tractability in mind, the Honda VTEC is an example of the kind of power you don't want. Being caught in the wrong gear spells doom for any hopes of immediate acceleration ("hmmm.., let's see, I'm in 4th, do I need to go to 2nd or will 3rd do the trick and hit the curve") .

A fresh tune by a competent tuner can't be overstressed. Everything works in concert (cam, headers, flywheel weight, gearing, etc.) Don't cut corners here!

Remember, driveability is different things it different folks. You will be driving the car, so it should fit your requirements.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
or just do maggie + cam and l/ts...hehe
Thats what I did! lol
Old 07-18-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by scatillac
A fresh tune by a competent tuner can't be overstressed.

Remember, driveability is different things it different folks. You will be driving the car, so it should fit your requirements.
Well put. A good tuner can make almost any cam on the market "streetable". Some people daily drive an MS4...others wont daily drive anything with an aftermarket cam.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by itsslow98
WRONG^^^^^

My car drives like stock and still makes 400rwhp on motor. You may feel the torque down low but once your rolling its HP that keeps you going, I wouldnt pick up 4mph in the 1/4 with a cam and longtubes by gaining 7rwtq and 50 rwhp(literally).

maggie= 4500+install
cam and l/ts= 1800+install

you may get more power from a maggie but it is more money. and if you have that cash to throw down then do it....if you dont there is nothign wrong with a cam setup.
Stating an opinion is not helping the new guy.
Everything I stated in my post is accurate.
Like Carl said, Drivability is subjective. "It's didifferent for different people"
Ageed . . a maggie cost more . . more like $5.5k to $6k + install.
But, a mild cam, as he stated in his post is not going to get him where you are . . and your mods are alot more than $2k.
Interesting profile on your cam and that two degrees advance helps your bottom end. Maybe adding another two degrees and your MPG for city driving would increase, but you would lose some of your top end drivablity . . . see . . totally subjective.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I was really wanting to know what cam i should go with such as a G5X2 from LG motorsports or etc. Who out there has somewhat of a mild cam but still makes good hp. I have been going to youtube to get an idea of how different cams and exhaust sound. Its really hard to know what cam to go with based off someones opinion unless I can hear it but any opinion would help.
Old 07-19-2010, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTS_V LS6
Who out there has somewhat of a mild cam but still makes good hp.
I do (504 rwhp with a 218*/232* grind) but it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison.

LPE is know for good power with conservative grinds and Katech had what was basically an LS6 (5308) grind on a 112* lobe separation that bumps up the bottom end punch. Shawn Miller at Virginia Speed could also fix you up with very satisfactory results, especially if Ed tunes it.

Also, Patrick G. (one of the moderators) will spec a cam for you for ~$25. He also has a good reputation for results.
Old 07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
Well put. A good tuner can make almost any cam on the market "streetable". Some people daily drive an MS4...others wont daily drive anything with an aftermarket cam.
I daily drive a MS4 without a problem.. its all in the tune!

Quick Reply: 04 cts-v cam question