Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just bought an 05 V

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought an 05 V

Well...

Just traded in a Bullitt for a 2005 CTS-V with 37K on the clock.
I like it and have been wanting one for awhile. The car is amazing and I got a great deal due to a friend working at the dealership.

There is a few minor issues with the car and I would like to be pointed in the right direction from people more knowledge than myself with this car.

The headlights have glazed - yellowish film on them and not sure if I will be able to polish them back to normal. - Where is a good place to find replacements?

The Oem V badges have faded for some reason - looking for a cheap place to get replacements or just stripping them off.

The center console arm rest just flops all the way down... I believe it supposed to be notched up or something?

When driving and shifting there is some clunking... I have read around and seen BMR makes a brace to help with that noise... Any other parts suggested?

When shutting it off there is a slight shudder...which I think might be the motor mounts - Best place and prices for those??

I'm also interesting in doing the Clutch / Flywheel / and getting a short throw shifter just to get the car feeling a little better. Best places for that? Any recommendations on brands?

Anything else I should look into or be aware of?

The car feels great, the interior is almost perfect except for the center console. The seats are so comfortable and she is bat **** fast.

Even at the dealership I paid just over 20K so I feel I did pretty well...
If not oh well its my baby now.

Old 07-21-2010, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for any help in advance.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by willsol
The headlights have glazed - yellowish film on them and not sure if I will be able to polish them back to normal. - Where is a good place to find replacements?

Congrats on the car, looks great. I'm looking for a CTS-V too.

About the headlights...I've heard the first 2 products on this page work wonders.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well...

I like it and have been wanting one for awhile. The car is amazing and I got a great deal due to a friend working at the dealership.

There is a few minor issues with the car and I would like to be pointed in the right direction from people more knowledge than myself with this car.

Try your best to clean them up, they are pricey new because they have the headlight washer nozzle in them
The Oem V badges have faded for some reason - looking for a cheap place to get replacements or just stripping them off.
not sure, i got mine of ebay for a steal and havent even put them on the car yet but id check there first
The center console arm rest just flops all the way down... I believe it supposed to be notched up or something?
Many upgrade to the higher CTS armrest which is taller and gives you more storage, once again ebay
When driving and shifting there is some clunking... I have read around and seen BMR makes a brace to help with that noise... Any other parts suggested?
this is a mix of the dual mass flywheel and the diff bushing, contact max at creative steel hes makes the best moutns and bushings for the v, just do a search on here for his contact info
When shutting it off there is a slight shudder...which I think might be the motor mounts - Best place and prices for those??
this is normal once again thanks to the heavy *** dual mass flywheel and motor mounts, look underneath and if the mount are cracked and leaking brownish fluid they are shiot and contact max at creative steel again, dont waste your time with factory replacements. a little diesling at shutoff is normal for a stock car though
I'm also interesting in doing the Clutch / Flywheel / and getting a short throw shifter just to get the car feeling a little better. Best places for that? Any recommendations on brands?
do a search for clutch reviews on here, the monster stage 2 is a great buy and drives like stock, i boguth a b&m shifter off ebay for like 230 and am very happy with it, dont forget to contact luke at lindsay cadillac in VA for shifter bushings while your doing it.
Anything else I should look into or be aware of?

The car feels great, the interior is almost perfect except for the center console. The seats are so comfortable and she is bat **** fast.

Even at the dealership I paid just over 20K so I feel I did pretty well...
If not oh well its my baby now.

hope that anserws your questions, all of this has been covered before so if you do a search youll get much more info as well.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:33 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info!

I will def check things out.

Sorry for not doing more research... Just excited to get this thing yet nervous about the little stuff.
Old 07-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Launching!

First of all congrats.

Second the center consoles in these suck. I had mine replaced under warranty.

And third, just get a short shifter. Best little mod to date on mine.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

you should also check the rear diff to make sure it is the Gen 3 or 4 and not the Gen 1 or 2. those had some major (and major as in they would just completely fail at random times) issues reported by drivers. most of the 04 05 Vs had the diff replaced, but there are still some floating around out there.

everything else was pretty well covered by itsslow. good luck and enjoy the hell out of her. and Luke at Lindsay Cadillac (in Alexandria, VA) or Creative Steel will get you the hook up on all the mounts and bushings you need.
Old 07-22-2010, 09:18 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well...

Wet sand and polish them, they'll clean up just like new.

Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac

Call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac, may want to switch to base CTS console.

Most likely a combination of your differential bushing and dual mass flywheel. I installed an an LS7 clutch and flywheel and still had the clunk. After I installed a UUC polyurethane bushing it was gone.

Do research here and on the other forum, seems that there have been at least one issue will all brands at one point or another.

Research again on the clutch. I have an LS7 and besides burning up one pressure plate on the track, I haven't had any issues. Buy a PISNUOFF short shifter, only $110, shortest throw, no noise or vibration transmitted into the cabin.
See comments above.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I see VA plates on the car, are you also in VA. If you are I would recommend a trip to the V mecca (Lindsay Cadillac) to have Bill give the car a once over.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rjoffe
I see VA plates on the car, are you also in VA. If you are I would recommend a trip to the V mecca (Lindsay Cadillac) to have Bill give the car a once over.
Yeah thats a 3 hour drive... Im on leave from the Desert right now before going back for another 105 days. Not sure if the wifey wants to spend a day doing that. especially if I decide to have them keep it if it needs anything.

I will check with him though on the other things or go there when i get back in November.

How do I check the rear diff to ensure its been changed out?
Is there a Recall on the diffs or would I have to pay out of pocket?

Thanks again for the help
Old 07-22-2010, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

you will have to look at the rear diff label and see what part number it is (thread is on here with full info). also, that will show up on the CarFax. my V had the sun roof recall fix in there. this is the bit i saved from it on my computer so i can check what generation my diff is when i get home:

There are four different part numbers for a V1.
1st --- 10361308
2nd--- 12378261
3rd--- 15793756 installed in '06 & '07.
4th--- 25873498 was released in 2008 for a slight improvement over 15793756 which was installed in the '06 &'07.
Most '04 & '05 have the 2nd part number. Both the 1st and the 2nd are considered inferior to the 3rd and especially the 4th.

with the age of the car, i am not sure home GM would work that if the diff hasnt been changed.

Quick Reply: Just bought an 05 V