Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trailer hitch took a bite out of my bumper ... suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer hitch took a bite out of my bumper ... suggestions?

I'm incredibly bummed out about this, so I'll just let the picture speak for itself. I'm just looking for suggestions on how this might be repaired, or where I might find a rear bumper fascia for really cheap. I took a quick look on Ebay and saw that new, painted rear fascias go for around $800 ... that's WAAAY too much for me right now. I guess I might just have to deal with the blemish and remain totally bummed until I find an affordable fix.
Attached Thumbnails Trailer hitch took a bite out of my bumper ... suggestions?-p1020934.jpg  
Old 08-03-2010, 09:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Ouch! Sorry to hear about that. Honestly you may consider salvage... find a wrecked car of the same color and make an offer. I'm a DIYer so I'd fix it myself... if you don't have the equipment ask around and see if you can borrow it from a friend.

That kind of thing would kill me...
Old 08-05-2010, 02:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just check with a body shop. They may be able to patch it and repaint for less than $800...

When some douche tapped me coming into the post gate his POS (State Farm) insurance only gave me $400. It is only paint striations and slight dent and they said a body shop could heat the plastic and get rid of the dent and repaint. I still haven't fixed it because it is not really noticeable so I don't know if the $400 will cover or not. But ya when a new cover is $800+ I guess they will try and salvage.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:26 PM
TECH Resident

I actually got in touch with a local ma 'n' pa body shop that's been around for donkey's years. He's taken a look at the cut in the plastic and quoted me $250 (Canadian $$) to repair the plastic, prep and repaint, blend, re-clear coat, etc, etc. Sounds pretty reasonable to me. And they stand behind their work, so I'm feeling pretty comfortable with it. Problem is that he needs my car (my DD) for 2 days. So I'll have to figure that one out. But at least it's not a bad price tag to get this blemish off my baby!!
Old 08-06-2010, 11:00 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome, good find. Will he let you just remove the bumper so you can keep the car for those 2 days?
Old 08-07-2010, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

I would be too ashamed to drive my baby around without a rear bumper cover on her anyway, so I'll figure something out to leave the car with him.

Hey, by the way, did you tint your own tail lights? Is it vinyl or spray? I bought vinyl cutouts and did the reverse lights with no problem, but I put a huge zipper in the one tail light film when I was trying to put it on, so have to order another one for try # 2.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:25 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wes8398
Hey, by the way, did you tint your own tail lights? Is it vinyl or spray? I bought vinyl cutouts and did the reverse lights with no problem, but I put a huge zipper in the one tail light film when I was trying to put it on, so have to order another one for try # 2.
Spray. Honestly they're too dark... almost dangerously so. One of these days I'll get a replacement set and try again, but this time go a little lighter.

But Damn do they look good (IMO)
Old 08-09-2010, 01:42 AM
TECH Resident

Damn ... I'm really not looking forward to doing these tail lights with the vinyl. Depending on how much $ they want, maybe I'll take it to a tint shop and let the pros do them. Before that though, this bumper's getting fixed! Hope it all works out!