Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

OEM wheels with non-oem tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM wheels with non-oem tires

Ok I recently bought my 05 and the tires needed replaced badly.

I went with tires that werent run flats but the same size as the oems

Will this work on the rim? Cause one of the tires has a slow leak according to my wife ( Im deployed back to the desert now)

Im not sure if its from the tire not being put on correctly or if she ran over something.

Any input on switching from run flats to reg tires that might cause issues with oem rims would be greatly appreciated.

I've never dealt with run flats before.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

tires are tires, I have trouble with leaking tires around the bead since I've chromed my stockers. The bead may need to be sealed on yours, or possibly a nail in the tire.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

yeah not sure. I thought so but like I said I know nothing about run flats.
Old 08-04-2010, 05:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt the wheels are "run flat specific", so may be another issue. In fact, I've read some forum members (and other sites) running 'regular' tires without problems. I will probably do the same when the time comes, but thankfully these F1's are essentially new so hopefully that'll be a couple years away.

Just make sure you're carrying a spare though I believe a standard CTS-V wheel will fit in the turnk housing, and you can use a regular cts jack and other stuff to hold it down...
Old 08-04-2010, 05:47 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah, there must be something wrong with the tire. You don't need to run specific tires. Really you don't even need to run 245/45/18's. Tire must be punctured or be leaking at the bead.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:21 AM
Launching!

I am currently running non-runflat tires. Have been since I bought the car. I had a slow leak in a tire when I bought the car...took it to get looked at and it was the valve stem had the o-ring missing. New valve stem and it was all fixed.

Side question...does the computer need to know if it is running run-flat vs non-run-flat tires? I thought I had read a technincal report about that....
Old 08-05-2010, 07:45 AM
TECH Addict

It doesn't matter what tire you run. It's a wheel just like every other wheel and no the car doesn't care what is on it. If you have non run flats just be prepared to buy a spare or get a tow for a flat. My car had non run flats when I bought it and it hasn't had a single run flat on since I have owned it. Juat keep an eye on the tpms.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Instead of a spare tire, another option would be a portable air compressor that runs off of the 12v outlet, and some type of tire sealant. Just be sure the sealant won't harm your TPMS sensors.

I had an '06 Viper that had runflats - Damn I hated those tires... Switched to PS2's after 400 miles and sold the runflats.

My '08 Viper came from the factory with Michelin PS2's and the compressor/sealant in case of a flat.

Anybody looking to buy a set of of factory runflats off my '05 V w/ 3,000 miles so I can replace them with a set of non-runflats?
Old 08-06-2010, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Turned out to be a loose valve stem. All is good.

Quick Reply: OEM wheels with non-oem tires