Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Methanol Injection for Maggied V1s

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Methanol Injection for Maggied V1s

I have seen a few post they are running kits, does anyone have a before and after dyno? IAT comparison? How many mpg are you getting with the methanol? Any issues after install? Where are you injecting?
I have never played with meth injection but have read many times of the claimed results. I like the possibility of running a race gas tune while running pump gas and the additional safety net of the reduction in possible detonation. Just trying to get some info together and have been unable too through searches here and on CF.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to be careful with meth its addictive , but in all seriousness meth is a beautiful thing, just lowering you IAT's alone its worth it and then not to mention you can run more boost and timing its like running race gas.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No experience on a V but my brother runs it on his grand national. On pump gas before meth he was running a max of 17-18psi before hed get detonation. On meth hes running 28psi. So pump gas hes making a ton more power with zero detonation. I would reccomend alkycontrol's kit they are top notch.

BTW meth has nothing to do with mpg its not like E85.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I use an Alkycontrol.Com kit on my turbo Buick and I run 22 PSI of boost on the street. They just designed a kit of '09 & up CTS-V's, but I don't know if that kit can be adapted to the earlier V-1's. I have his kit for my V2, just not installed yet. One of the guys over on the other forum got about 20 RWHP & RWTQ out of his V2 kit, but I think that he is running a modded Snow methanol kit. Ask any of the turbo Buick guys, they all run meth.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

^^^ what size turbo on the buick? My brother just put on a new Precision Billet 5657.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't mind a meth kit, but I already have an *** load of timing from the E85, would it be safe to turn it up more? or will I even gain anything from that? Perhaps just the cooling ability itself would be nice.
Old 09-02-2010, 10:29 PM
On The Tree

I dynoed before and after. Before was 45deg in the winter after was 95deg in the summer. Picked up 2hp and 25tq. Tuner retuned fuel map and added timing. Alkycontrol kit for a C5 vette. Setting is at 4.5, nozzle is at the TB. I will dyno it this winter.

Remo
Old 09-03-2010, 06:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
^^^ what size turbo on the buick? My brother just put on a new Precision Billet 5657.
I'm running a TA49, the next size up from stock, and a few bolt-ons. Car runs 12.8 on street tires. 28K mile car.

http://www.scandc.com/images/New%20p...tall%20001.jpg

I love Alkycontrol.Com & I love my methanol set-up. I used to run 100 octane VP unleaded but the cost keep increasing. I believe that 100 octane unleaded is now about $ 8.00 a gal. (in Kali). The way that most peeps look at it is with meth you will get a few more RWHP & RWTQ than race gas with the same settings or you can run a few more PSI with meth than you can with race fuel due to the cooling effect. That's everything else being equal.

Last edited by Gary Wells; 09-03-2010 at 07:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:20 AM
TECH Regular

I have always heard that spraying meth pre blower will wear the teflon off your rotors and cause the blower to become very inefficient, can anyone verify if this is true or internet rumor.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Launching!

thanks for the input so far, what i meant by mpg above was how many miles per gallon of meth, not fuel efficiency just wondering if anyone has this in a DD and would need to pay attention to that. I wrote alkycontrol to see if they have worked with a v1 before, waiting on a response. 25 ft/lbs is a nice pick-up. I have read for best results to install post blower as well. Gary where does the nozzle install with your v2 kit?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by GulfM3
I have always heard that spraying meth pre blower will wear the teflon off your rotors and cause the blower to become very inefficient, can anyone verify if this is true or internet rumor.
I was just about to post this. Pre blower most Cobra guys saw no real gain due to the compressing effect of placing before the blower and heating up the air. Most standard meth kits are done on Centri blower cars and Turbo cars. They are placed before the TB after the intercooler and compressor ie Turbo or SC. Meth will wear the coating on rotors and Whipple actually recommends against it last I checked when I had mine.

A few guys tried plumbing meth in the intake manifold after the blower and IC but I dont think it worked very well on the positive displacement units atleast not enough to be worth the effort anyway.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Launching!

Meth and a cam really helped the top end of my maggied V. After it was totaled I got another maggied V w/out meth. Haven't transferred the kit over but I can remember how the top end felt better while spraying meth.

Just a little added protection against detonation. I called Maggie and snow performance about the rotor issue and they said it could be a problem with poor quality materials etc..... On turbos and centis, they inject it post-compressor because the blades will get damaged at the speeds they travel. Not so with PD blowers.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:58 PM
Teching In

I'm new to this game but is the meth injection used all the time, only on a WOT switch, or when you want like nitrous? And what product do you actually buy and how often do you refill? Every tank of gas, more, less?
Old 09-03-2010, 03:08 PM
Launching!

tex what kind of #s did you see with your previous V? good input on the rotor issue, so i assume yours was sprayed pre-blower then?
tshort - i don't have much info, but from some friends who ran it in f-bodies they would get approx 2500 miles out of 3 gallons, but it all depends on how you drive. i'm not sure if all kits are progressively controlled, but the kit i was looking at activates depending on throttle position. in other words the injected amount depended on throttle amount, so not necessarily a microswitch for WOT like some nitrous kits but more of a progressive meth unit with a controller. i'm sure the wizards have better input for you
Old 09-03-2010, 04:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Can u use meth N/A? Can't hurt right? Like just for the hell of it.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

My alkycontrol kit is not installed yet (on my '09 CTS-V). Alkycontrol is a supply on demand system. It comes on at about 5 PSI, & increases in strength or amount sprayed as the boost increases. A bud of mine and I split a 5 gal can about every 9 months or so, sometimes a year. I put about 3500 miles on my car in a years time. My bud might use a little more than I do as he runs a 10 sec GN on the street and has it dialed in at about flat 11's for the street. He dynos 510 RWHP & 520 RWTQ. He probably gets in his a little more than I do. There is a wealth of information on turbobuick.Com, "Nitrous, Propane, and alky section". There is also a wealth of info on alkycontrol.com. Read, learn, & decide for yourself if it is for you. I would never leave home without it.

Last edited by Gary Wells; 09-03-2010 at 04:55 PM.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Unless your car is a track only car it's not worth the risk/hassle IMO.
Old 09-03-2010, 08:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by zinner
Unless your car is a track only car it's not worth the risk/hassle IMO.
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable, but how many alky-meth systems have you run, and on what vehicles?
Old 09-03-2010, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

my kit comes on at 3psi of boost. The kit comes with MAP sen. the more boost the more it sprays.
Old 09-04-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SoJersey05V
Can u use meth N/A? Can't hurt right? Like just for the hell of it.
Never heard of anyone running it n/a. I cant imagine youd gain anything, itd be very minimal if any for the cost of the kit and install, not to mention most of the kits are set to come on at a certain psi.

To Zinner, meth is like 30 for 5 gallons, lasts months, and gets you a decent amount of power(not nearly as much as a turbo car or other platforms) but come on track only? thats BS. Wish you could have ridden in my brothers GN pre meth and post meth. Itd sure make a believer out of you. And also meth is perfect for cars that see the street a lot, it allows them to run race settings on pump gas. If anything id say meth is for the street, race gas for the track.

Quick Reply: Methanol Injection for Maggied V1s