Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

tips&tricks for eng/trans removal-post'em

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tips&tricks for eng/trans removal-post'em

Finally got the CTS-V home and on the road to return to normal however I need to remove engine and trans to facilitate other maintenace. I have no lift to raise body. DO have cherry picker and other normal garage tools.
What are some of you guys using to do the trick ie:
what height did you raise the car
what did you use to support the car etc??
Has anyone used a cherry picker to raise car by shock towers??
Thanks
BobH

Old 06-29-2011, 10:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A lot of the fbody guys use the cherrypicker to pick up the body off the front subframe. Problem is gonna be how high you can pick the body up.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another option is obviously to lift the body off the subframe with a lift, just watch out for a heavy *** end when you start lifting.

I'm going to be removing the engine in a couple months for a rebuild for boost. Hopefully we get some more posts in here with tips!!
Old 06-29-2011, 10:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

check the harness and ground conenctions at least 5 times to make sure everything is disconnected as well and try to label everything. you dont want that nightmare when you get it all back together where you miss a ground or connection and you spend the next week searching for it.

remember to put somethign behind the back tires when you lift it so it doesnt roll.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:20 AM
TECH Addict

I pulled the trans from the bottom first then pulled the engine from the top. When it went back in, I bolted the trans to the engine and set it all in from the top.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I pulled mine from the top, engine and trans connected. If I had to do it over I would remove the maggie first, cause to get the drain pan to clear the subframe required the engine to have to come up really high and at a steep angle that was a b*tch. The extra clearance up top would really help.

I remove the radiator & fans etc (obviously), the plastic windchield things etc to give extra clearance at the cowl. My engine harness had been routed through the AC lines , so I had to cut the AC lines to get the engine out... my original plan was to leave the AC system in-tact. (Note... DO NOT cut the AC lines while laying across a suspended engine in an enclosed garage... it sucks)

Someone said it before... label everything, and take lots of pics for when you forget something during re-installation!

Have fun!
Old 06-30-2011, 03:56 PM
12 Second Club

Without a car lift, engine out the top is easier IMO. I might have missed somebody saying it but I'd pull the hood too.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Derek98z
Without a car lift, engine out the top is easier IMO. I might have missed somebody saying it but I'd pull the hood too.
I was gonna mention it for if you pull it out the top but i figured it was self explanatory if you did it that way lol......and dont forget to remove the shifter if you pull it as an engine/trans

Quick Reply: tips&tricks for eng/trans removal-post'em