Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Pop goes the rear

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 09:43 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pop goes the rear

so during the week I finally had time to take the car out and get some base times. I only did 3 runs, but my best time was a 12.82 on a set of drag radials,cai, and tune. On my third run i noticed the rear was banging like crazy so i had to let off and coast the V. After that i decided to just load it up and call it a night. Today on the way to work the V drove normal. I figured maybe it was just the wheel hop screaming at the track cause surely nothing felt wrong. well as i came to a sharp turn i downshifted as turning and the car kinda fish tailed due to me releasing the clutch so quickly lol. BOOM! the car was still going but was banging as if my drive shaft was hitting over and over. I pulled over right away and took a look to notice my driver side shaft was just yanked out of its position. Immediately oil started dripping so i had to call the tow truck. is there anything i can do to strengthen the rear besides the gforce shafts? Id like to buy them but not until later on. Too expensive for me to just buy without putting away some cash for a while.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

At least YOU got runs in!

-meaty
Old 11-04-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am just waiting for mine to do this. I know it's coming but whereI live I know it's gonna be very hard to find a 4th gen rear.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Staging Lane

So did you break an axle or did your Diff blow up?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Gforce shafts don't strengthen the rear at all, they just make it less susceptible to wheel hop. The real fix to these rear ends is a scrap heap. Replacing it with a ford rear end with a custom bracket seems to be the most stout way to do it.

What I'm assuming happened is that you cracked the case at the track and the downshift was the straw that broke the camel's back.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

either the ford rear, or i still salivate at the g-force rear end, to be quite honest.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Regular

A solid axle 12 bolt. 1.5 60fts easy. **** irs
Old 11-05-2011, 01:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sinistersilverado
I only did 3 runs, but my best time was a 12.82 on a set of drag radials,cai, and tune.
timeslip or it didnt happen!!
Old 11-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Launching!

If the V1's could hook without hopping, it would be a high 12 car w/o drag radials. Most of the cars are trapping the mph for a high 12 from what I've seen.

Sucks that the diff went out, was it still a Gen I Diff?
Old 11-05-2011, 01:25 PM
Launching!

Not that mileage seems to matter, but how many miles on your '05?
Old 11-05-2011, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kjr6306
So did you break an axle or did your Diff blow up?
I broke a axle and cracked the diff.
Old 11-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
timeslip or it didnt happen!!
Lol I knew someone would throw that at me. I honestly dont care to keep the slips, but ill tell u wat pal. When I fix the rear and install headers ill post the slip with a video. Should be in about 2 weeks.

As for miles I have 66,000.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
A solid axle 12 bolt. 1.5 60fts easy. **** irs
Exactly, but id rather do an 8.8 or 9" over a 12 bolt. IRS for a strip car is NEVER gonna handle the abuse that a solid axle will. Ive said it before also, with modern coilovers and suspension components you can easily make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS on the street. A road course would be a different story though.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sinistersilverado
I broke a axle and cracked the diff.

I have axles and a rear diff with cradle for sale....just put in the GForce. Rear has 32,000 miles on it....
Old 11-09-2011, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Exactly, but id rather do an 8.8 or 9" over a 12 bolt. IRS for a strip car is NEVER gonna handle the abuse that a solid axle will. Ive said it before also, with modern coilovers and suspension components you can easily make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS on the street. A road course would be a different story though.
Actually you have that backwards as evidenced bu the new 5.0 GT. A solid rear is great on a nice smooth track and can perform as well as a IRS, however they show their downside on bumpy/uneven streets and cant put the power down as well...
Old 11-09-2011, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by a4rings
Actually you have that backwards as evidenced bu the new 5.0 GT. A solid rear is great on a nice smooth track and can perform as well as a IRS, however they show their downside on bumpy/uneven streets and cant put the power down as well...
Agreed the IRS outshines the solid rear in bumpy situations/canyons/not so smooth tracks etc.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could try the TA Girdle. I have it on mine and it seems to be helping.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

So your saying strait axle cars don't put the power down as well as IRS cars? Uh huh

And what do I have backwards?
Old 11-09-2011, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by itsslow98
So your saying strait axle cars don't put the power down as well as IRS cars? Uh huh

And what do I have backwards?
Did you read the post right after mine agreeing with me? i said solid rear axels don't put power down well on bumpy uneven roads where one tire hits a rut in the road and it affects the other wheel as well. On a smooth track with not bumps etc (like the one at a 1/4 or circuit) the solid rear will put power down very well.

get it? i wasnt trying to offend you but i obviously did, sorry

"with modern coilovers and suspension components you can easily make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS on the street. A road course would be a different story though."

this should read: "with modern coilovers and suspension components you can easily make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS on the TRACK. On the STREET would be a different story though.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Did you read the post right after mine agreeing with me? i said solid rear axels don't put power down well on bumpy uneven roads where one tire hits a rut in the road and it affects the other wheel as well. On a smooth track with not bumps etc (like the one at a 1/4 or circuit) the solid rear will put power down very well.

get it? i wasnt trying to offend you but i obviously did, sorry

"with modern coilovers and suspension components you can easily make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS on the street. A road course would be a different story though."

this should read: "with modern coilovers and suspension components you can easily make a straight axle handle just as well as an IRS on the TRACK. On the STREET would be a different story though.
Who argues about putting power to the ground on a bumpy street? lol

Quick Reply: Pop goes the rear