Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh I'm not emotional about it at all. I just listed why it's a waste of time. And if the OP is not going to make an all out V clone out of it... than why choose the heavy and ugly standard CTS to do a motor swap on to begin with??
Old 05-13-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no idea why he/she wants a cts to build....
Old 05-13-2012, 03:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm not trying to be rude but rather be blunt as to why it's a waste of time. Lots of better chassis's out there to put a nice motor/tranny in and it can be done for a lot less. The idea of the V is to get the total package of luxury and performance.
Old 05-13-2012, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you want a project car thats for you and you do not plan on selling it r title imo is the only way to go. Buy this and call it a day if you can gut a car and swap everything im sure you can putty up a fender) http://www.copart.com/c2/homeSearch....SEARCH_RESULTS
Old 05-13-2012, 03:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I would never buy a salvaged/rebuilt title car. Thing change regardless how much u intend to keep it and that alone is enough to turn away 90% of the market and to sell it, u gotta pretty much give the car away regardless what's been invested in it. To each their own though.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The biggest mistake is calling a car like a V or a conversion an investment.

MONEY PIT, HOBBY, whatever.

Maybe "bad" investment.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! I don't know. Bought my 04 V for $12k two and a half years ago and granted I put money in it... I sold it for $15,500 a couple months ago. Bought my 05 for less than its worth with lots of good mods (thanks to a good buddy) so I'll make money on it as well when its time to let it go. I don't buy anything to lose money. Not saying it works out that way every time but every vehicle I've owned... Ive come out even or made money. I'm just smart and wait for the right deal.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
none taken, but if he is for some reason a cts fan and isnt looking for the handling aspect of the V.... not sure what is so hard in dropping a motor into a car. people drop GM motors into all sorts of random vehicles.
I came from an Eibach swayed CTS to a CTS-V stock... and the handling was about the same. Same platform too.

The issue with a build always ends up being time and money. More time to wire crap in with new harnesses, etc... more money to be spent on stuff... Easier to recoup money sellin an LS engine, then selling an LY7. Easier to wire with the stock harnesses from a V. More money on working accessories...

A V6 wouldn't be worth the money saved between the two IMO.

[edit]
Oh, and if you think the stock V radiator is bad... ROFLMAO @ the V6 ones, which snap at the bottom end fittings, puke trans fluid all over the place, and occasionally suck in coolant and grenade.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm with heavy.... this chassis is far from being a good investment
Old 05-14-2012, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Exactly. If this car didn't have the LSx already in it, I would have never been interested.
Old 05-14-2012, 10:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

[QUOTE=BudRacing;16308576]Exactly. If this car didn't have the LSx already in it, I would have never been interested.[/QUOTE

Tru dat!!! I would have bought an m5. Only bought it cause its a fast 4 door manual car...hard to come by those these days since people are getting lazier and most dont even know how to drive a manual. Manual will always allow you better control of your vehicle and is a must in any performance car imo. Obviously the absurdly fast cars wont even allow you time to shift and there an auto makes sense. As far as from the factory though...(m5, v, and gxp few of them that have manual) are about your only choices. Pretty sad
Old 08-24-2012, 02:54 PM

to kind of bring this thread back, i have to agree and disagree with alot of comments. i will agree there is no comparison between a regular cts and a v, thats why GM built it. but i see the point. even though you should start with a v it would be pretty neat to see someone do the swap. in my case i need to build a fun fast car that can drive my newborn son around and stomp the local ricers and mustangs. it would problably cost a bit more money in the long run but hear my logic.

2006 cts-v around $12k, high miles, high as **** insurance, 400 or so horses, gm ls engine that costs a left nut to buy any parts for. great car dont get me wrong.

2006 cts 3.6 6-spd around $6k, built LQ4 around $4k, trans and rear and rest of the driveline crap another $2-$3k. ok so it doesnt have the style of a v or the brakes/suspention set up.... but it does still say crappy v6 on the insurance and the title. its the same reason people didnt buy v8 camaros and novas just swapped them.

anybody agree? feel free to comment harshly if i am wrong because im seriously considering this.

oh yeah and you can still drive the car while collecting parts for it.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You'll also need to consider all the time you'll spend on such a swap. Time is money. What's yours worth to you? A couple bucks for insurance?
Old 08-24-2012, 03:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Arthur Kohler
to kind of bring this thread back, i have to agree and disagree with alot of comments. i will agree there is no comparison between a regular cts and a v, thats why GM built it. but i see the point. even though you should start with a v it would be pretty neat to see someone do the swap. in my case i need to build a fun fast car that can drive my newborn son around and stomp the local ricers and mustangs. it would problably cost a bit more money in the long run but hear my logic.

2006 cts-v around $12k, high miles, high as **** insurance, 400 or so horses, gm ls engine that costs a left nut to buy any parts for. great car dont get me wrong.

2006 cts 3.6 6-spd around $6k, built LQ4 around $4k, trans and rear and rest of the driveline crap another $2-$3k. ok so it doesnt have the style of a v or the brakes/suspention set up.... but it does still say crappy v6 on the insurance and the title. its the same reason people didnt buy v8 camaros and novas just swapped them.

anybody agree? feel free to comment harshly if i am wrong because im seriously considering this.

oh yeah and you can still drive the car while collecting parts for it.

Harsh comment #1: I don't know who the hell you have insurance with, but the insurance on my 2005 V is definitly not high. Hell if I bought a V2, my insurance would only go up 96.00 every 6 mo. And no, I'm not old as youre thinking I am.

Harsh comment #2: Maybe you haven't been around here a while, but you may wanna go back to whoever you're giving your nuts to for parts for the LS6. Maybe you haven't looked into how much commonality there is between these LS engines. EVERYTHING will cost more going through a dealer, but that is why there are other sources.

Harsh comment #3: If you're referring to the old school Camaro and Novas, last I checked, there were stripped down, strip ready versions with the biggest motor you could get out of the GM parts bin stuffed in them from the dealership. Yea, some people bought the V6 because the insurance is cheaper. Big deal. I'm sure there aren't ALOT of people on here that bought a V6 Camaro because the insurance is cheaper. If you haven't realized, insurance companies see a sports car, as a sports car. Do you classify a 2 door, 2.4L Cavalier as a sports car? Hell no, but insurance companies do!Alot of people bought them because the OVERALL platform was cheaper and aftermarket support is plentiful. 1997 V6 Camaro-2500.00 (running) LQ4/LS1/LS6 engine (1500-3k) suspension/rear (3k), around the same amount a clean decent mileage LS1 Camaro would cost you.

I'm done shooting holes in your theory now. Feel free to retaliate.
Old 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This is just a BS/what if thread.

Come back and show it off after you have it done.
Old 08-24-2012, 04:36 PM
On The Tree

just buy a cts 3.6 sport and slap a turbo on it, the 3.6 cts's go pretty good, i bet you could fab up a turbo to give it a bit more hp
Old 08-24-2012, 05:03 PM

I see your points, but for some with a not so good driving record cant afford a payment on a car plus full coverage every month. So buying a clean cts outright and not needing full coverage helps. I completely agree with your comments, just trying to say that some people cant afford a cts-v right away. As for the comments about just get an f body that others had, have you ever put a carseat in the "backseat"? It sucks. As for the time, i do this for a hobby so as long as i have a beer in one hand and rachet in another im happy.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is there really that much difference in insurance? I mean I don't pay that much for my V... Driving record does matter, but that affects you no matter what... I don't see the justification of building a junk *** base CTS to save on initial cost and insurance
Old 08-24-2012, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Arthur Kohler
I see your points, but for some with a not so good driving record cant afford a payment on a car plus full coverage every month. So buying a clean cts outright and not needing full coverage helps. I completely agree with your comments, just trying to say that some people cant afford a cts-v right away. As for the comments about just get an f body that others had, have you ever put a carseat in the "backseat"? It sucks. As for the time, i do this for a hobby so as long as i have a beer in one hand and rachet in another im happy.
If you can't afford insurance on a V... then you can't afford the swap. Thats probably as honest as I can put it. There's plenty of other cars you can get into cheap if moneys an issue. Because money WILL be an issue trying to do a swap into an LS from a V6
Old 08-25-2012, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Can I put this hammer in your ***?

Oh, I know it won't fit and I can't even afford a hammer, but if it could and I could?

Quick Reply: Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?