Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

4L80E In A CTS-V...Fits Better Than You'd Think

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 10:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The whole reason I got the V was because it is a stick and the wifey can't drive it. Though if you are going to run drags, I don't think anyone can argue that an Auto is way better
Old 06-21-2013, 04:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
Yeah I'm stuck on this issue too, it will be extremely difficult to get passed mid 10's with the manual, but I'm told that the autos will make my car **** from roll races...

I want to go tear **** up at TX2k next year, so not sure what I wanna do...

I had my eye on the TCI Sixshooter with paddle shifters: http://www.tciauto.com/tc/6x-six-spe...e-shifter.html

But dont wanna lose my roll power or ability for road track....
I plan on being there as well. In my up coming setup or maybe even something a little different but what ever it is I don't plan on being the slowest four door by any stretch. Would be cool to meet up and get a run in and then maybe tackle the rest if Houston 4 doors at a time or at least try!
Old 06-23-2013, 05:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default 4l80e

I got my V running with the manual but just too much damn wheelhoop and I am still getting vibs....We bled the Mcleod rxt twin...Got all my gears now and reverse...but NOW at 3/4 throttle 4th gear pops out...I was going to sell thr V, but I can't till I get that fixed...A 4L80E even stock would help..I have the 06 with 58x reluctor....What all electronically would I need to put the automatic in. I was going to have a local give me a price but never talked to him for I think with his Ford 4 link and auto with cage, carpet, and a show piece type shifter is gonna cost me a bundle...Just might take off the tags cause of insurance prices and put it on my lift and get some help for my new project.

Thanks DMM for doing what I never got around to doing...great job. Nice pics..
Old 06-23-2013, 08:13 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Greg - If your trans is popping out of 4th gear under load you have internal trans problems...most likely excessive bearing clearance from the description you provided being that 4th gear is the input shaft on the T56. All the torque you have probably beat the hell out of the input shaft bearing causing excessive clearance. It could also be the actual gear itself, the shift fork pads, or the synchronizer keys. Whatever the culprit is, it lies within your trans.

The 4L80E can be controlled by your existing PCM, however it may require a segment swap. I am still trying to find out if the 4L80 can be controlled by the PCM on the 04-05's with the LS6 and older PCM, although I'm pretty sure they can be. The 4L80E harness would have to be pinned to the existing PCM harness which is time consuming but pretty easy.

I know you've been going trough hell with this thing, if you still have my number give me a shout.
Old 06-23-2013, 03:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default tranny

Originally Posted by DMM
Greg - If your trans is popping out of 4th gear under load you have internal trans problems...most likely excessive bearing clearance from the description you provided being that 4th gear is the input shaft on the T56. All the torque you have probably beat the hell out of the input shaft bearing causing excessive clearance. It could also be the actual gear itself, the shift fork pads, or the synchronizer keys. Whatever the culprit is, it lies within your trans.

The 4L80E can be controlled by your existing PCM, however it may require a segment swap. I am still trying to find out if the 4L80 can be controlled by the PCM on the 04-05's with the LS6 and older PCM, although I'm pretty sure they can be. The 4L80E harness would have to be pinned to the existing PCM harness which is time consuming but pretty easy.

I know you've been going trough hell with this thing, if you still have my number give me a shout.
Thanks man, It hasn't been right since the install...The shop pulled my motor away from tranny and out the top..With my iron block after install oil was speweing severely from the rear main seal area...Was told my Katech new ZRI clutch was a pos...So to make a long story short the motor was in and out 4 times and I am thinking he ruined the pilot bearing. causing shaft damage and 4th to pop out...Soon, or sometime, some friends of mine and I will take a look at the mess...I drove it Sat. but with the wheels spinning and wheelhop, 4th poping out. the V is not much fun to drive..... and I think from the oil that leaked during installs might have caused damage to the discs..cause I have slipage...Anyway, thanks for your input....DMM always nice to hear from ya....
call u later.....
Old 12-23-2013, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone know what all would be involved in getting Speedo and interior electronics to function correctly with either stand alone controller or segment swap with the 80e?
Old 12-23-2013, 12:38 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarg
Anyone know what all would be involved in getting Speedo and interior electronics to function correctly with either stand alone controller or segment swap with the 80e?
As long as you retain the OE PCM, there is nothing to be done. The stand alone controller would be the easy route, although you may be able to do the segment swap and re-pin the harness to control the 4L80E. The stand alone controller would not be integrated with anything else, so the PCM would assume the T-56 is still in place.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

What about the speedo? Does that not come from the transmission on the v?
Old 12-23-2013, 02:46 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

What about the speedo? Does that not come from the transmission on the v?
Yes, it does. All you have to do is splice the signal wires so the PCM gets the reference. You also have to go into the tune and change the VSS pulses per mile and trans revolutions etc...but that's easy to do with any tuning software and you just have to pull the data from a 2wd truck/van.

If you need a file to pull the VSS data from, PM me...I have a 2001 2wd Silverado file with the appropriate data.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:12 PM
TECH Addict

Just looking into this for the wife. I have a 4l80e in my LS mustang as well. But she asked how hard it would be to slap an auto in her V. I decided to look into it. So in theory with the stand alone, you would just plug up the stand alone, bypass the clutch switch and tap into the VSS?
Old 01-02-2014, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

will have pictures of this soon enough. my 80e been at teh shop for a while now waiting to get put in. as soon as the 4 link is done then its trans time. will all be ready by march
Old 01-02-2014, 07:19 PM
TECH Addict

What does a used higher mileage cts-v 6 speed sell for? Clutch, short shifter, the whole 9? One thing we are considering is how much selling off her 6 speed stuff would offset the costs.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Smile 4l480e

Originally Posted by 04Vguy
will have pictures of this soon enough. my 80e been at teh shop for a while now waiting to get put in. as soon as the 4 link is done then its trans time. will all be ready by march
Good job DMM and 04Vguy Glad u are getting it done...My builder bailed out...so I put a freakin new LS-7 slave and clutch ambly.for now, and having problems disengageing.. V is still in the enclosed trl. I have been laid up with a severe hip and knee injury after an accident...Should be back to normal by April..If u are done by then I just might use a built 80..I have the 58X relucter..Might be a little different situation...but again, thanks for all the pics and info...well done young man

Last edited by GREG O.; 01-02-2014 at 10:14 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

What does a used higher mileage cts-v 6 speed sell for? Clutch, short shifter, the whole 9? One thing we are considering is how much selling off her 6 speed stuff would offset the costs.
Probably around $1500 IMO. If you can sell it before pulling it'll help resale with them knowing it functions fine. No one in their right mind would put the stock dual mass clutch back in a car.
Originally Posted by GREG O.
Good job 04guy Glad u are getting it done...My builder bailed out...so I put a freakin new LS-7 slave and clutch ambly.for now, and having problems disengageing.. V is still in the enclosed trl. I have been laid up with a severe hip and knee injury after an accident...Should be back to normal by April..If u are done by then I just might use a built 80..I have the 58X relucter..Might be a little different situation...but again, thanks for all the pics and info...well done young man
Sorry to hear, there are some shops local that would take on the auto swap for sure. As you know its labor intensive which gets expensive.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Bump to the top! Found a guy by the name of Yanick Dumont that did a successful job of putting an auto (700r4) into his V! Come check out the thread on my group (pinned to the top)... BTW, anyone speak French? He’s in Quebec and doesn’t speak English! I've been talking to his friend who speaks some English who is going to try and translate the build and give it to me!
https://www.facebook.com/groups/575785459109536/
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

haha yeah, I was suing the facebook translate yesterday for him
Old 01-23-2014, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
haha yeah, I was suing the facebook translate yesterday for him
lol, im sure I will also be using it if I speak to Yanick directly.. His friend isnt that bad at English so we shall see... Im actually excited to see the build info and price for everything...
Old 01-23-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Makes we wanna learn French if thats what it takes to go automatic. lol
Old 01-23-2014, 09:01 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

A 700R4 (4L60) may live behind a stock V1, however a modded V will make short work of it. With the weight and performance potential of our cars the 60, 65, 70, 75 series transmissions simply do not have the strength to last for very long.

If you're going to go through the process to get an auto trans in there, you might as well use something that will last.
Old 01-23-2014, 10:17 PM
TECH Regular

i heard the V2 guys pushing in excess of 1000HP have switched to the truck tranny 4l60. pretty sure the 1300+ HP twin turbo V's are both running this same trans. no paddle shifters though

Quick Reply: 4L80E In A CTS-V...Fits Better Than You'd Think