Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Nope. I still think the original setup was a flaming pile. You need to recognize that criticism is a valuable contribution to any discussion. Many car people are so accustomed to having others blow smoke up their a**, regardless of the quality of their work, that it freaks them out when someone criticizes their design. Personally, I shrug off complements because they don't teach me anything--the people that give me crap for not doing a better job are the people whose opinion I value.

If I thought the shop or the design wasn't amenable to improvement, I wouldn't bother saying anything. My silence (or lack of willingness to engage in debate) is a clearer indication of disgust than any criticism you'll see me write. Also, for the record, people need to stop strongly attaching their sense of self worth to others' perception of their car. Some of the best people I know drive bad cars, or don't know how to maintain their cars.
Your problem is that you provide no actual creative criticism. I have built turbo vehicles before and I didnt start attacking the quality of something i have no first had experience in. Having a level of disgust is useless when it comes to the development of a product. Getting the turbo kit to function out weighs its ability to look pretty. once the bugs are ironed out they would be able to make it look nice when people gawk at it.

thats the point we are no, its past visual appeal would need to be addressed for it to go forward. thats a given that anyone who understands the development process.

Be critical all you want, but have it be useful. So far what i have seen it hasnt been. It just seemed like you wanted to tear something down. Also the current kit it more power than 99% of people would ever need. You could build the motor, and plan for better charge air cooling and turn the boost up until you get financially nervous. This is why a turbo kit would also be better and more flexible than a s/c
Old 11-05-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Just a fyi I find for our cars 750rwhp is about the useful limit for our cars on the steey with big DRs.
Any more power is "track use only"

To gain some ground clearnce u should look in to somthing like the pte 5858s with vband in and out. They anr small and make good power
Old 11-05-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 81LS1Camaro
I just saw 3 out of 5 fail in short order is all. I don't want to take over this thread though. Here's where its talked about. Both my brother (supershift67) and my friend Bill were told it must be their wiring. I know Bill was not offered support after the warranty period was up. https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagn...band-inop.html

I not just talking about Innovate stuff either. I read a magazine article about a TKO 600 install, it had shifting problems at over 6k rpm and they said it just needed break in and left it at that, with no follow up of course. A friend of mine has the same trans, bought brand new, in his Camaro. Like most people he expected to be able to shift it at 6500 like the old muncie that was in it. Well at those kind of rpms the trans acted like 3rd wasnt even there and after sending it back to D&D for work (who did there best to take care of him) he still had issues and contacted Liberty gear. He ended up have Liberty do some syncro work to it so he could use it and works great now, he's actually running a 10.30 in the quarter right now. I asked a Tremec rep at the power tour about the situation, he said "Oh no, they wont shift quickly above 6k rpm." Now I have never seen anything in their literature or magazine articles stating that they are not ok for high rpm shifts. There are complaints all over the internet about it, but vendors act like its the best transmission ever. The rep told me to get a t56 for that kind of use.

I guess I feel like alot of people leave out important information for marketing purposes, and welcome people that question the quality and design of new parts. As long as its constructive and not just blind bashing of a product of course.
I gotcha. Was curious since I have had pretty much the opposite experience. I get your point tho.
Old 11-05-2013, 12:50 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
Just a fyi I find for our cars 750rwhp is about the useful limit for our cars on the steey with big DRs.
Any more power is "track use only"

To gain some ground clearnce u should look in to somthing like the pte 5858s with vband in and out. They anr small and make good power
Do you know if it's possible to run an electronic boost solenoid controlled by HPTuners? Trying to get an idea how these wastegates would be operated.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sadly tge factoy ecu can't be made to control boost
Old 11-05-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

couldnt you do a voltage out from the HPtuners unit ( not the ECU)? Have that let you switch from a high to low boost setting for protection situations or maybe enable a high boost setting if it detects you running on the hi octane table.

Just a thought, i havent messed with the HPtuners unit for some time.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:23 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The 04/05's do not have the same options as the 06/07 models. This screen shot was taken from an 07 and has Boost control limits (supercharger, but boost is boost) in the "Torque Management" section of the tune. So, it may actually be possible to not only control a bypass device (wastegate) but also control ramp in, boost by TPS, MPH, etc. I have no idea what pins on the ECM would have to be used to drive these functions, however. Maybe someone at HP Tuners could answer this.

I had to include the file since photobucket is down....
Attached Thumbnails New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit-ctsv_boost.jpg  
Old 11-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a ton of good info and ideas in here. I think mid 6's would hit the spot for almost anyone considering once you get to mid 7's I think a good chunk of people will jump out. 1k may not seem like all that much but realize tuning and miscellaneous is going to run you close to another 750 or more depending so your 1k is right there.
Old 11-05-2013, 05:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I hope this kit makes it to production, I love options!
Old 11-05-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by DMM
The 04/05's do not have the same options as the 06/07 models. This screen shot was taken from an 07 and has Boost control limits (supercharger, but boost is boost) in the "Torque Management" section of the tune. So, it may actually be possible to not only control a bypass device (wastegate) but also control ramp in, boost by TPS, MPH, etc. I have no idea what pins on the ECM would have to be used to drive these functions, however. Maybe someone at HP Tuners could answer this.

I had to include the file since photobucket is down....
Yeah gonna have to do some digging. While on the subject of HP Tuners do you know if the 04-07 fuel regulation is controlled via PWM - I'm guessing yes. Also is the 'Pro' edition required to integrate a wideband? I don't mind it being independent but it's worth the extra coin to have the datalogs include AFR.

I'm a fan of PLX and they just released a new wideband and I'm about a month from fabbing a pod in the ashtray.
Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by philistine
Yeah gonna have to do some digging. While on the subject of HP Tuners do you know if the 04-07 fuel regulation is controlled via PWM - I'm guessing yes. Also is the 'Pro' edition required to integrate a wideband? I don't mind it being independent but it's worth the extra coin to have the datalogs include AFR.

I'm a fan of PLX and they just released a new wideband and I'm about a month from fabbing a pod in the ashtray.
While we're off on this ECM tangent, do you know whether or not we can rip out the terrible E40 ECM in the 06-07 and replace it with a more modern, user-friendly ECM such as the E67? I'd love to make the switch during my motor swap, but I'm concerned that the rest of the car might not be able to communicate with it.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:08 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by philistine

No, there is no PWM. This was started on the 2009+ V2's. All V1's have a simple on/off command and the regulation is done by the regulator attached to the fuel pump module.

The Pro is worth the money, but you don't want to tune by AFR. Tuning in lambda is the correct way to do this.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Just had a beer with Nick, showed me what he is working on... I think all the guys who have showed interest in this kit and going turbo period are gonna be more than interested with what he is going to put together. Unlike anything anyone else has done for this car!

Thats all I can say though...
Old 11-05-2013, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by B_ROCKS_IT
Just had a beer with Nick, showed me what he is working on... I think all the guys who have showed interest in this kit and going turbo period are gonna be blown away with what he is going to put together! Unlike anything anyone else has done on this car!

Thats all I can say though...
Hear this from you gives me confidence. Is he close to being able to take some pictures?
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

If it were me, I would build a DIY kit.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:08 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 54inches
If it were me, I would build a DIY kit.
I thought that's what we were talking about this whole time...no?
Old 11-05-2013, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kaddo101
Hear this from you gives me confidence. Is he close to being able to take some pictures?
No still designing, and working on getting a donor V, mine is too far from stock to use as a template builder.

And yes we have been talking about a diy bolt-on kit.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Two, general, business ideas that might make this kit particularly interesting:
  1. Financing options (e.g. Paypal offers an easy 6 month option) or the ability to buy and install the kit in modular chunks.
.................. is this a serious suggestion?

Please refer me to a site where there is financing options for a FREAKING TURBO KIT.

This isn't a friggen Rent-and-roll or other wheel rent-to-own place.

Seriously... WTF???
Old 11-05-2013, 09:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
.................. is this a serious suggestion?

Please refer me to a site where there is financing options for a FREAKING TURBO KIT.

This isn't a friggen Rent-and-roll or other wheel rent-to-own place.

Seriously... WTF???
https://financing.paypal.com/ppfinportal
Old 11-06-2013, 09:25 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I think financing is a great idea.......or buying piece by piece.......

Quick Reply: New V1 Bolt on Twin Turbo Kit