Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

a very COLD yet HOT morning for my V

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool a very COLD yet HOT morning for my V

Well I just got to work here in chilly pennsylvania the temp got down to -5 last night with some serious wind chill. Anyways, i went out and started my 2005 V about fifteen minutes before i would leave for work. She started right up instantly like usual. Very noisy power steering pump. I turned on the heat and went back inside my house to brush my teeth.. Come back outside fifteen min later and the Coolant temparature is up to 214 which is out of the norm for it to reach in such a short time especially because its 3 Degrees below zero zero. Normally it would only reach about 130-140 degrees coolant temp by then.

So i proceed on my way to work when i hear ding ding ding and the nav screen says engine coolant overheating - Idle Engine
so i do that for about Five min and the coolant temp is stuck at about 269.

Then the nav screen says engine overheating shut engine off and then i check my oil temp.
128 degrees???

Shut the car off, pop the hood and start inspecting.
The top of my shitty (but brand new) plastic radiator is cool to the touch. Yet the fans are working full time because of the supposed hot coolant.

So cliffnotes my car goes into limpmode (power reduced mode) while on my way to work due to supposedly very hot coolant.

And if i could i would buy a beater car to drive in the winter but i cant the V is my DD and at age 21 im looking to keep this car for many years to come. I do all the work on the car myself. It just got a new radiator about three months ago. Over Xmas it took me on a flawless 2050 mile round trip to florida and back kickin *** getting 28 mpg

Is it possible that my T-stat stuck and wouldnt release the coolant into the radiator to get cooled? Or do you fellas think its my coolant temp sensor acting up? Sorry for the book, ive been on the tech for awhile mostly just lurking filling my brain.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Your thermostat is not opening. The fact it was cold outside was probably a huge help and kept you from damaging your motor. oil temp and coolant are not relative. The coolant in the block will heat way quicker than the oil will. Just a couple of minutes and you can have over heated coolant if it is not circulating. A bad T-stat is just one of those things really. Good luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you should try to acquire a beater car for in the future ; I personally refused to even bother with my v this week as I am also in pa
Old 01-07-2014, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Second that. Replace your T-stat.

How many miles on your car? May as well replace the whole water pump, because those fail around 80K miles.
Old 01-07-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The thermostat was probably working pretty hard this morning so it could have gotten stuck...usually they open once and stay that way unless its really cold...like this morning.

I had one stick on me one time and I was on the road in the middle of nowhere in my GTO, long before we had cell phones. I let it cool down, took the upper hose loose and punched a hole in the thermostat with a screwdriver. I don't know if you could get away with that these days but I drove it like that for a few days.

Better change the PS fluid with some synthetic. That's how you blow steering rack seals!

Good Luck!
Old 01-07-2014, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DACTARI
Second that. Replace your T-stat.

How many miles on your car? May as well replace the whole water pump, because those fail around 80K miles.
Mine failed right at 100k miles, I agree with this statement. New waterpump and tstat!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

I think you should try to acquire a beater car for in the future ; I personally refused to even bother with my v this week as I am also in pa
Old 01-07-2014, 09:12 AM
Teching In

thanks for the help fellas. New waterpump and t stat will be ordered today!
Old 01-07-2014, 09:24 AM
On The Tree

This is the pump I bought, Fuzzy I believe sent me this link. Seems to be identical to the original, this is stock for C6 Vettes. Comes with thermostat. It's even cheaper now than when I bought it 4 months ago at $188.

ACDelco 89018052 Water Pump Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive ACDelco 89018052 Water Pump Assembly : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old 01-07-2014, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by johnny2343
Hey, do you think he should try to acquire a beater car? And do you still live in PA?
Old 01-07-2014, 09:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Double post twenty minutes apart? Weird.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:14 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the help guys, I knew this is the forum to ask this question on.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
Double post twenty minutes apart? Weird.
Probably on mobile... It's happened to me before.

I too have to replace my water pump and TStat. But I wouldn't want to work with coolant system when it's below freezing.
Old 01-07-2014, 11:22 AM
On The Tree

Yes and yes ; you can blame my phone for the double post,and how do we feel it is overheating and still having such a low oil temp ???
Old 01-07-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the t stat isnt openning then the coolant in the block will super heat while the radiator coolant is still ice cold. oil has nothing to do with coolant and heats up much slower. it is possible the sensor went bad but usually if it was the sensor it would throw a code for an open circuit or the guage would show would either max out or show low temps. if the gauge is reading the temp and is going up and down then most likly its a mechanical problem
Old 01-07-2014, 11:43 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Your thermostat is not opening. The fact it was cold outside was probably a huge help and kept you from damaging your motor. oil temp and coolant are not relative. The coolant in the block will heat way quicker than the oil will. Just a couple of minutes and you can have over heated coolant if it is not circulating. A bad T-stat is just one of those things really. Good luck!
Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
if the t stat isnt openning then the coolant in the block will super heat while the radiator coolant is still ice cold. oil has nothing to do with coolant and heats up much slower. it is possible the sensor went bad but usually if it was the sensor it would throw a code for an open circuit or the guage would show would either max out or show low temps. if the gauge is reading the temp and is going up and down then most likly its a mechanical problem
Yup^

Yes and yes ; you can blame my phone for the double post,and how do we feel it is overheating and still having such a low oil temp ???
Answered in the very 1st post.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

So I'm to assume just the coolant in the block got hot and the motor and oil stayed cool weird I don't think it works that way
Old 01-07-2014, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

So I'm to assume just the coolant in the block got hot and the motor and oil stayed cool weird I don't think it works that way
Just watch your temps in the DIC next time you start your car in the cold. Case in point, started my car this morning, oil and coolant at 28 degrees. By the time the coolant was at 170 the oil was at 68. If that does not do enough for you just think that coolant is meant to keep the engine cool while oil just lubricates (although in high performance applications oil can help cool pistons and reduce frictional heat yada yada yada). If oil got as hot as fast as coolant there would be a factory oil cooler.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

the stat is there to block coolant flow until a certain temp is reached then it opens and mixes with the rest. its a simple temp valve.
in the block your coolant jackets suround the cylinders(which get hot very fast)the oil on the other hand is under of all this and does not see that direct heat.
Old 01-07-2014, 02:56 PM
On The Tree

the stat is there to block coolant flow until a certain temp is reached then it opens and mixes with the rest. its a simple temp valve.
in the block your coolant jackets suround the cylinders(which get hot very fast)the oil on the other hand is under of all this and does not see that direct heat.
I do understand all that ; I guess it wasn't hot for very long

Quick Reply: a very COLD yet HOT morning for my V