Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Creative Steel: CTS-V 5 Lug Swap

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:14 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
does the larger camaro parking brake work better than the stock v1 setup?
Don't know if it works "better" or not. My original parking brake worked fine.

I have heard of guys complaining that their parking brake didn't hold the car very well, on a hill a presume. I would think it's just that the parking brake must have been out of adjustment. Not sure how you would wear down the shoes on a foot operated parking brake.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think this is a good option. By the way CS are you all having problems with your website because I can't get to it anymore.
Old 04-17-2014, 10:26 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by kpforce1
I think this is a good option. By the way CS are you all having problems with your website because I can't get to it anymore.
Yes, we apologize for the inconvenience. Our servers for website and emails are down. We will have them up as soon as possible.
Old 07-30-2014, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

sooooo, has anyone here tried this out yet?
Old 07-31-2014, 07:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's not even available from CS yet.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bio248
it's not even available from CS yet.
Are you sure? did you call and ask?
Old 07-31-2014, 09:22 AM
TECH Resident

it's not on the website, so i figured it wasn't fully offered yet.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

it's not on the website, so i figured it wasn't fully offered yet.
I find their website is not always current and if you want to know what is current its best to just call and ask them.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:19 AM
FormerVendor

We've had a hang up because GM stopped making parts, had them on backorder(6months out), and they were expensive. We've had to replicate these parts to get the kit rolling again. It should be out within a month! I'll keep the thread updated.

-Jordan
Old 08-01-2014, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

I like what Max / CS has done here.

But, I just have to point out that there are two varieties of front XLR/C6 hubs. Look close before buying, the correct one fits right into the V carrier.

FWIW I did the el cheapo swap and it has been fine for about a year now. XLR hubs. Re-drilled rear V rotor for new bolt pattern (retains P brake). Front Camaro SS rotors with opened up center hub bore. And a set of "close enough" TSW 5x120 blot pattern wheels. But I am a streeter, so I am not worried about track issues. But I do drive hard in turns.

The CS rear trailing arms and toe rods are a must for large rear wheels! 9.5" joy out back, love it.
Old 08-01-2014, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by APillow
FWIW I did the el cheapo swap and it has been fine for about a year now. XLR hubs. Re-drilled rear V rotor for new bolt pattern (retains P brake). Front Camaro SS rotors with opened up center hub bore. And a set of "close enough" TSW 5x120 blot pattern wheels. But I am a streeter, so I am not worried about track issues. But I do drive hard in turns.
Do you have any pics of your setup?
Old 08-01-2014, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by garrettg
What is the reason why the 2nd gen CTS-V/5th gen Camaro/Pontiac G8/Chevy SS hubs won't just bolt up directly. Is this a sensor or axle spline issue or something else?
Originally Posted by Creative Steel
All the above. Sensors and axle diameter/spline count are different.
Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Which all can be solved when swapping out axles, like saaaay when you get an 8.8 rear end. Take half the car apart, might as well do it up right with the front half

For example, say when you order something from GForce for a GTO, I would imagine if you could just get their CVs for the rear, you would be ok or maybe you'd have to get the whole axle. But either way, it can be done. They are 5 lug and I think 5x120 as well. And as I recall their frames are even somewhat similar to ours in width? Could be wrong there... But that's the route I was hoping for before this thread started
ryridesmotox brings up an excellent point. I would'nt change axles to do a 5-lug, but if I was changing them anyway for an 8.8....then there could be a better option for the rears, that might not be compatible with the stock outer axle stubs.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:09 PM
On The Tree

update?
Old 11-04-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ive been spacers away from completing this swap. $1500 is a retarded price! I had maybe 600 in my swap...
Old 06-03-2015, 10:40 AM
FormerVendor

We are happy to announce this is now ready to order!

Creative Steel 5 Lug Swap
Old 06-03-2015, 10:55 AM
TECH Resident

why did you guys make custom backing plates for the ebrake assembly when the stock stuff from the V2/camaro is already a bolt in part so long as you're using the V2/camaro rotors?

and it's actually 5x120 versus 5x120.65 (4.75)? why? 5x120/5x120.65 are already interchangeable bolt patterns. wheel tolerances aren't tight enough for it to matter with conical seat lug nuts and hub rings.
Old 06-03-2015, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

why did you guys make custom backing plates for the ebrake assembly when the stock stuff from the V2/camaro is already a bolt in part so long as you're using the V2/camaro rotors?

and it's actually 5x120 versus 5x120.65 (4.75)? why? 5x120/5x120.65 are already interchangeable bolt patterns. wheel tolerances aren't tight enough for it to matter with conical seat lug nuts and hub rings.
I am glad you asked this, as we have had to state it a few times to people over the phone.

We had found that a lot of the e-brake assembly was on backorder from gm. We waited over two months for some parts that eventually was cancelled. And paying over $80 per backing plate (and still needing other parts) didn't seem very cost effective for the customer when we could make it cheaper and faster.

As a company we decided to do the 120mm over 4.75" because it was the proper way to do it. Yes, if you are doing the swap on your own vehicle and want to risk it, fine. But we don't need a lawsuit if wheel studs break as a guy is doing 75mph+ on the interstate. I have seen a lot of people not even use hub centric rings; you add that to an incorrect bolt pattern and problems can occur that I don't need a phone call for.
Old 06-03-2015, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am glad you asked this, as we have had to state it a few times to people over the phone.

We had found that a lot of the e-brake assembly was on backorder from gm. We waited over two months for some parts that eventually was cancelled. And paying over $80 per backing plate (and still needing other parts) didn't seem very cost effective for the customer when we could make it cheaper and faster.

As a company we decided to do the 120mm over 4.75" because it was the proper way to do it. Yes, if you are doing the swap on your own vehicle and want to risk it, fine. But we don't need a lawsuit if wheel studs break as a guy is doing 75mph+ on the interstate. I have seen a lot of people not even use hub centric rings; you add that to an incorrect bolt pattern and problems can occur that I don't need a phone call for.
good answer
Old 06-03-2015, 02:07 PM
TECH Resident

yeah, i spent about $325ish on my ebrake assemblies so i could see where that adds cost and if it's all back ordered then that's a good reason to just make your own backing plates. there's not a whole lot to them anyway.

i figured that was the answer. i just didn't know if you had a good reason to do the 5x120 versus the 5x120.65 because most of the guys with these cars tend to want to run vette wheels anyway. at least that's what i've noticed.

i'm currently running a set of 5x120 wheels with some, rather tight fitting, hub rings and am totally comfortable with it. i understand the liability point you have to be worried about, though.
Old 06-04-2015, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love that this is offered, so badass! but man that pricetag is steep.. Im using the 40$ 6 lugs from rockauto for abot 25k miles now or so, anyway that could be added on as a future option instead of timken?

Quick Reply: Creative Steel: CTS-V 5 Lug Swap