Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

the v1 reverse fix

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oh i forgot, u have to take this snap ring off. the reverse fork comes off with the synchro
Old 04-12-2014, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

and this,my friends, is the issue, well part of it. the fork pads are severely worn
Old 04-12-2014, 06:17 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm. I wont be attempting this on jack stands in my garage.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

now i read in corvette forms, corvettes t56 share alot of the same components, that the forks arent really placed in the "best" location on the rail and with a little machine work u can move them for optimum operation. so i figured what the hell, i bought a new fork before i got started so i have my old fork as an extra if i **** up. so i basically ground off 3/32" (the thickness of a washer) from the rearmost side of the fork and put the washer on the forward most side. now what this does is allow for a more positive engagement of tbe syncro into the reverse gear so u dont have to push the shifter as far. for anybody wanting to do this the washer has to have an inside diameter of 15mm. thats the diameter of the shift rail.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

i highly recommmend the upgraded fork pads. hopefully in the next few months im gonna be doing a rebuild/upgrade of the t56 and every fork will be wearing upgraded pads. the reassembly is basically the reverse of everything thats been shown. i made this writeup bc i kept seeing people askin if reverse could be fixed without pullin the trans. alot of people said yes but didnt say what was involved so there ya go. it can be done. i know alot of people dont have access to a nice lift. but ut could be done on pavement if need be if the car was up about 18" or so.
Old 04-12-2014, 10:01 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, not where I thought this was going. Impressive work with the trans still in the car. Did you get it all back together? Reverse silky smooth now?
Old 04-12-2014, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

kudos to you sir. nice job. i get scared when it comes to opening up the trans.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Wow, not where I thought this was going. Impressive work with the trans still in the car. Did you get it all back together? Reverse silky smooth now?
yes sir. trans is back in car. took approximately 4-5hrs but i did a couple extra things like cleanin and painting some stuff. reverse is now the tightest feeling gear in the trans lol. it just clicks in like a nicely built t56. where the fork is modded it now requires a about the shifter travel as the 1 3 5 gears but engagement is super positive! totally worth my afternoon time to do it!
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bigti99a
kudos to you sir. nice job. i get scared when it comes to opening up the trans.
if your not that comfortable doing this type of work then ya probably shouldnt but i dont think it takes a whole lot of skill, just a whole lot of patience lol. im sure u could probably do it if you put hour mind to it lol
Old 04-13-2014, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Nice job....you should post a copy of this up in the manual transmission forum.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

i dont know how to transfer it over if somebody wants to request a moderator to do it or make it a sticky somewhere im ok with that lol. just tryin to help everybody out
Old 04-13-2014, 11:02 AM
TECH Resident

Followed you here from the F body section. I might just give this a try. Did you reverse the syncro or no? Is a new fork necessary or are the pads a replacement item? Sorry to stalk you with questions but, I'm at everyone's mercy. It makes total sense in your write up. Thanks for sharing!
Old 04-13-2014, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2nd Gen Fl 'bird
Followed you here from the F body section. I might just give this a try. Did you reverse the syncro or no? Is a new fork necessary or are the pads a replacement item? Sorry to stalk you with questions but, I'm at everyone's mercy. It makes total sense in your write up. Thanks for sharing!
i had already bought a new fork, pads, syncro and gear before i tore mine down bc i didnt know for sure what id need. the gear was fine. the fork was fine. the pads were gone and i could flipped the syncro but i put the new one in since i already had it. u can buy just the pads. spend the money and get the upgraded ones and only have to do it once.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:30 PM
TECH Resident

I just dropped my V off at the shop yesterday. While the trans is out for a clutch install, they're sending it to Finish Line Transmissions. My primary complaint being reverse. While the trans is open, they're upgrading the fork pads, replacing the reverse syncro, and anything else that's is worn.

Do you feel the fork modification and shim helped with the improved feel, or was that more attributable to the new pads and syncro? Curious if I should have them modify and shim my reverse fork too.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fweasel
I just dropped my V off at the shop yesterday. While the trans is out for a clutch install, they're sending it to Finish Line Transmissions. My primary complaint being reverse. While the trans is open, they're upgrading the fork pads, replacing the reverse syncro, and anything else that's is worn.

Do you feel the fork modification and shim helped with the improved feel, or was that more attributable to the new pads and syncro? Curious if I should have them modify and shim my reverse fork too.
honestly, id have to drive a stock ctsv without an unmodded reverse to be able to answer that. mine has been messed up the entire time ive owned it and at first i thought it was just a shifter/bushing issue, but after i replaced that with no significant change i knew it was internal. the best way i can answer the question is to recommend that u have them measure the position with the syncro engaged and see if there is room left over for a more positive engagement. you cant really measure it in the car bc of the shafts sagging so i didnt measure mine but i can tell you that mine feels excellent now! if you want the mod done and they wont do it u can ship it to me and ill do it for u. in either event i feel like its definitely a worth while mod
Old 04-13-2014, 01:28 PM
TECH Resident

FLT is a race trans oriented shop, I'm sure it's an easy mod for them. So do I understand it correctly, you shimmed the fork so it pushed of the reverse syncro further into the reverse gear, and by further, I mean the thickness of the washer. Yes?
Old 04-13-2014, 01:36 PM
On The Tree

yea. thats right
Old 04-15-2014, 01:34 PM
TECH Regular

this needs to be a sticky glad you posted on my post over in manual section big ogre
just what i needed to know .
its been said a thousand times pictures are worth a thousand words. only thing better would be chopping in some text and arrows
Old 04-15-2014, 04:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by saylorZ28
this needs to be a sticky glad you posted on my post over in manual section big ogre
just what i needed to know .
its been said a thousand times pictures are worth a thousand words. only thing better would be chopping in some text and arrows
if u have any questions feel free to pm me. ive been considerin to build t56's on the side

Quick Reply: the v1 reverse fix