Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Trailing Arms?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailing Arms?

What's the general consensus regarding BMR vs CS vs MAP? Also what do you get for your money? Any reason for a stock height CTS running Forgestar F14's to buy these. I've seen some claims of a reduction in wheel hop, I do have GForce axles and while that problem has mostly been solved some additional help wouldn't hurt.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:38 AM
Launching!

I don't think trailing arms do a whole lot for wheel hop. Bmr arms are straight so you dont get any more clearance for wider rims/tires, I don't think you can buy new map arms anymore, so that leaves the cs arms which are well built and offer way more clearance than factory or bmr arms. I have heard of forgestars rubbing the factory trailing arms so cs would be a good option if you ask me. I have a set going on soon myself. As far as wheel hop reduction, I would invest in a set of revshift 95a cradle bushings if you don't already have them. I've got cradle bushings and gforce econo axles ready to install and I'm hoping to eliminate the majority of the hop that way. How noticeable/effective were the gforce axles in your experience?
Old 04-20-2014, 09:12 AM
FormerVendor

InfrareV, I also agree that if you are trying to eliminate wheel hop that the cradle bushings are the best bang for the buck.
We, Creative Steel offer cradle bushings. Take a look at our site.

We also offer a tool that we designed especially for removing the original bushings from the CTS-V cradle. With out the tool the removal of the original bushings is a laborious, time consuming dirty job. The tool comes with 8-1/2 X 11" laminated photographs with the instructions printed on the them.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ravenls6v
I've got cradle bushings and gforce econo axles ready to install and I'm hoping to eliminate the majority of the hop that way. How noticeable/effective were the gforce axles in your experience?
I bought both the left and right axles, they were quite effective. I think easily 90% of the hop is gone. If I'm honest I do have a little bit of buyers remorse only because I bought them before the CS 8.8 came out and I likely would have headed in that direction if I hadn't already made an investment in the stock diff.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by InfrareV
I bought both the left and right axles, they were quite effective. I think easily 90% of the hop is gone. If I'm honest I do have a little bit of buyers remorse only because I bought them before the CS 8.8 came out and I likely would have headed in that direction if I hadn't already made an investment in the stock diff.
You can always sell your axles when you upgrade and get some of your money back (a good portion really)

Unless you need wheel clearance I would not worry about trailing arms. I run the BMRs on my car and couldn't tell a difference in handling either(even regularly Autoxing the car i didn't notice anything). Although I suppose once I get poly bushings in that it will all help to incrementally tighten things up (and maybe drop my times some even if i can't "feel" it)
Old 04-20-2014, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
Unless you need wheel clearance I would not worry about trailing arms. I run the BMRs on my car and couldn't tell a difference in handling either(even regularly Autoxing the car i didn't notice anything). Although I suppose once I get poly bushings in that it will all help to incrementally tighten things up (and maybe drop my times some even if i can't "feel" it)
Good to know, appreciate the information.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:27 AM
Launching!

I just recently installed the BMR trailing arms. I have them coupled with the Revshift 95A trailing arm bushings as well. Obviously, there aren't any clearance gains by switching to these, and the reduction in wheel hop (although noticeable) was negligible. The benefit though, is that the car felt more planted afterwards and actually felt like it hooked better on a hard launch.
Old 04-20-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Forcfed93
I just recently installed the BMR trailing arms. I have them coupled with the Revshift 95A trailing arm bushings as well. Obviously, there aren't any clearance gains by switching to these, and the reduction in wheel hop (although noticeable) was negligible. The benefit though, is that the car felt more planted afterwards and actually felt like it hooked better on a hard launch.
Did you get the arms with the urethane bushings or ballistic joints?

Did you notice any more road noise after the install?
Old 04-20-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1247
Did you get the arms with the urethane bushings or ballistic joints?

Did you notice any more road noise after the install?

The BMR trailing arms only have spherical bearings (ballistic joints)
Old 04-20-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

The group buy was just for the ballistics but at some point they offered poly bushings.
Old 04-20-2014, 02:53 PM
Launching!

The group buy was just for the ballistics but at some point they offered poly bushings.
BMR, as far as I know, have only offered arms with QA1 spherical bushings. No added road noise, though I did have to shim them on the install as the spacers they provided weren't long enough.
Old 04-20-2014, 04:16 PM
FoD
On The Tree

I have Creative Steels trailing arms with spherical bushings and greaseable bolt/bushing. Well built, prefect fitment. I plan on trying to run a 11" wheel in back. We will see how much I can get there.
Old 04-20-2014, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
The BMR trailing arms only have spherical bearings (ballistic joints)
my bad...i've been working double shifts so i'm a bit toasty.

would like feedback on those if possible.

thanks
Old 04-21-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

my bad...i've been working double shifts so i'm a bit toasty.

would like feedback on those if possible.

thanks
With the BMR trailing arms and poly bushings at the other end, I noticed no additional noise. (still no cradle bushings yet... they are on the shelf waiting for time/ambition)

Quick Reply: Trailing Arms?