Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Broke inner axle stub, need info

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke inner axle stub, need info

Broke the driver side inner cv stub on my 05 v. Broke clean off inside the diff. My question is how the inner cv is retained? Pulled the pass side off and can now get thru the diff to reach the drivers broke stub. Can I just beat it thru the diff or does it have any sort of retainer? I tapped on it some but it's not budging at all, wanna make sure I'm not gonna bust the diff case by accident if I go to whaling on it due to a cclip retainer etc. Thanks.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, there is a c-clip on it, but giving it a good whack is fine. There's nothing that has to be released/loosened, just needs impact to break free.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bmylez
Yeah, there is a c-clip on it, but giving it a good whack is fine. There's nothing that has to be released/loosened, just needs impact to break free.
I used a 24 inch extension when I broke my dSS axles
Old 04-06-2015, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Just snapped my inner stub on the drivers side. If I am understanding the best way to get the remaining portion out of the differential is to remove the passenger side, then use a rod of some sort (or socket extension as mentioned) insert it from the passenger side through the differential and pound out the broken stub?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-07-2015, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive broken plenty like this and the easiest way to get the stub out is pull the other axle amd grab a long punch/rod/screwdriver or anything else that will fit by the pin and take a hammer hit. I always leave the fluid in while knocking the stub out to help flush the broken shards. I also use a small magnet and go thru the drian plug hole to fish for anything still in there. Replacing the axle seals is also a good idea
Old 04-07-2015, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Ive broken plenty like this and the easiest way to get the stub out is pull the other axle amd grab a long punch/rod/screwdriver or anything else that will fit by the pin and take a hammer hit. I always leave the fluid in while knocking the stub out to help flush the broken shards. I also use a small magnet and go thru the drian plug hole to fish for anything still in there. Replacing the axle seals is also a good idea
It's nice to have someone with lots of experience on this topic.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:22 AM
Staging Lane

Any recommendations on where to source a replacement stub? My initial searches are not turning up anything, or is it more common to find an entire shaft in the classifieds and use that?
Old 04-07-2015, 02:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by PLA TME
Any recommendations on where to source a replacement stub? My initial searches are not turning up anything, or is it more common to find an entire shaft in the classifieds and use that?
I "might" still have one in my attic from my axle swap. PM me so I remember to look when I get home.
Old 04-07-2015, 03:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one stock axle sitting on the shelf. I think it is the longer passenger side axle. If you just want the stub it shouldn't matter. PM me if you are interested.

Quick Reply: Broke inner axle stub, need info