Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hemi hellcat smokin' a cts-v video

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

LS3 muahahahahaha! How about a TT stock SB LS6 whooping that ***......?
Old 12-12-2014, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, since watching this video, ive become more and more obsessed with being able to keep up with these shedevils on the road (as unachievable as that may be)

After talking to TTP last week about LS3 Swaps and labor pricing, then some search on the forums and interwebs, I came up with three of the following scenarios for my car. Only one gets anywhere near hellcat numbers and have the potential to equal.

Please see attached screenshot I took of an excel I created. Main thing to keep in mind in this, is if it is a blower scenario, I would be installing that so you will not see Supercharger install labor

Things to Note
I have a 4th Gen rear already - to be installed (Labor listed)
LS6 Blower Scenario refers to the Maggie
LS3 Blower Scenario refers to this Monster, linked below

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-1...YZ0aArP68P8HAQ

Let me know if anything is blatantly wrong or missing from my estimates

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Hemi hellcat smokin' a cts-v video-screen-shot-2014-12-12-4.19.05-pm.png  
Old 12-12-2014, 04:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 4th Gen rear already - to be installed (Labor listed)
Blatantly wrong It won't hold. Get the 8.8".

Tune will likely run more if they do it right. You will need fuel system upgrades (didn't see them).

Personally I would go with the Eforce for hood clearance reasons and known quantity. Also, with heads and cam you should be able to do more than 600hp. I don't want to start a war but IMO flow enhancement works on the FI motors to.
Old 12-12-2014, 04:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sssnake
Blatantly wrong It won't hold. Get the 8.8".

Tune will likely run more if they do it right. You will need fuel system upgrades (didn't see them).

Personally I would go with the Eforce for hood clearance reasons and known quantity. Also, with heads and cam you should be able to do more than 600hp. I don't want to start a war but IMO flow enhancement works on the FI motors to.
Re:Rear - Totally right, was thinking about posting an edit for that. Do you think the 4th gen wont last tuning and highway usage though?

Re:Tune Pricing - what they told me, IIRC it would be a discounted rate for doing all the other work w them.

Re:Heads and Cams - Just being conservative on numbers, but keep in mind, these are WHP numbers, not at the motor.

Re:Fueling - I think the ls6 can support 500 whp on stock fueling? I'll have to dig more into that, Also, the SC kit for the LS3 comes with everything to make it bolt on and work, so Fueling is accounted for there in that scenario
Old 12-12-2014, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"So, since watching this video, ive become more and more obsessed with being able to keep up with these shedevils on the road (as unachievable as that may be)" - Quote from member Negligence

Have to admire his willingness/ eagerness and game plan in order to pursue what he calls the "shedevils " in reference to the Hemi Hellcat !
Old 12-12-2014, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by GTman
Was thinking the same thing as you but then someone said don't be too quick to judge and check out the video and see what the Hellcat does to a CTS-V wagon on a road course.

The Hellcat's fury at Grattan Raceway MI - YouTube
Your post should read "see what the Hellcat does to a shitty driver in a CTS-V wagon on a road course."

I'm a road course guy and while I'm no pro, that guy in the V wagon was all over the place.
Old 12-12-2014, 11:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, anyone else think he can get 3500 for an LS6?
Old 12-12-2014, 11:42 PM
Staging Lane

Only 55k Miles - If i cant get that much, i will yield!

Maybe 2.5k? I think its worth that much at least
Old 12-13-2014, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Re:Rear - Totally right, was thinking about posting an edit for that. Do you think the 4th gen wont last tuning and highway usage though?

Re:Tune Pricing - what they told me, IIRC it would be a discounted rate for doing all the other work w them.

Re:Heads and Cams - Just being conservative on numbers, but keep in mind, these are WHP numbers, not at the motor.

Re:Fueling - I think the ls6 can support 500 whp on stock fueling? I'll have to dig more into that, Also, the SC kit for the LS3 comes with everything to make it bolt on and work, so Fueling is accounted for there in that scenario
4th gen should last through tuning - mine did.

FOr the tune to be done correctly you will need to scale MAF and injectors which takes a while. My tuner charged $500 but it was absolute garbage. So much so that I tuned it myself. Much better now.

Yup. My comments were based upon WHP. The only reason you wouldn't get there would be the IAT2 you might see with that blower. Two LS7s running those here are seeing +70 degrees over ambient with HUGE coolant reservoirs. I am not sure why.

Does the kit come with a fuel pump or just a boost a pump. If the later then I would go with a new FP as well.

Good luck
Old 12-13-2014, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Sssnake
4th gen should last through tuning - mine did.

FOr the tune to be done correctly you will need to scale MAF and injectors which takes a while. My tuner charged $500 but it was absolute garbage. So much so that I tuned it myself. Much better now.

Yup. My comments were based upon WHP. The only reason you wouldn't get there would be the IAT2 you might see with that blower. Two LS7s running those here are seeing +70 degrees over ambient with HUGE coolant reservoirs. I am not sure why.

Does the kit come with a fuel pump or just a boost a pump. If the later then I would go with a new FP as well.

Good luck
Re:IAT2 - Yea, ive heard similar issues, wasnt sure which blowers it related to - im most interested in a procharger but have been trying to research if anyone else on the forums have done so. Im assuming there will be spacing issues. If not, that would be the blower I want.

Re:Fueling - Its a fuel pump booster, so adding Fuel Pump to the list would be a must. Did you have any thoughts on my "Misc parts" budget - I think FP would fall into that, and do you think i need to increase that number as well?

I have quite a bit of funds saved for this now, but depending on which scenario i go with, I may need to do quite a few of the steps at once, hence needing to save more. Although im sure I could get the ls3 in there and drive it like that for a bit, before taking the next dive with the blower setup and add on all those supporting mods. At least then it will give me time to use my 4th gen rear with a little piece of mind, and when I make the SC Dive, can beef up the rear to the 8.8 and 4.1 Gears....then its shedevil hunting time
Old 12-13-2014, 08:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmylez
A ported M122, PRC 247cc heads, big cam, 404 stroker (if keeping stock LS2 block), and you're looking at some healthy power, but not gonna hang with a Hellcat, unfortunately.
i think it all depends on the car in question whether or not one car will be faster... people are saying it will take 650rwhp v2 to match a hellcat but i've embarrased a v2 auto with 650rwhp in my n/a 500whp gen 1 v... so its all relative
Old 12-13-2014, 09:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jon04CTSV
Your post should read "see what the Hellcat does to a shitty driver in a CTS-V wagon on a road course."

I'm a road course guy and while I'm no pro, that guy in the V wagon was all over the place.

Apparently the Hellcat was being driven by the SRT division head Ralph Gilles who was savvy enough to use this vid to show the handling ability of the Hellcat on a road course as it specifically chases down the CTS-V wagon (which as everyone knows is noted for its handling ), "shitty driver" or not.

IMO, a shrewd move on their part.
Old 12-13-2014, 09:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
i think it all depends on the car in question whether or not one car will be faster... people are saying it will take 650rwhp v2 to match a hellcat but i've embarrased a v2 auto with 650rwhp in my n/a 500whp gen 1 v... so its all relative

Noticed there is a guy on the CTS-V owners forum who is selling his 2011 auto CTS-V with 730 RWHP( best of 10.77 @ 127 mph ) for $ 35 K and is replacing it with a Hellcat.

Interesting to note there is less than a 1/10 of a second difference and a 1 mph difference between this guys 730 RWHP CTS-V and the Hellcat's 10.85 @126 reported best time in the 1/4.

Based on these numbers not sure if 650 rwhp for the V will be enough.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Noticed there is a guy on the CTS-V owners forum who is selling his 2011 auto CTS-V with 730 RWHP( best of 10.77 @ 127 mph ) for $ 35 K and is replacing it with a Hellcat.

Interesting to note there is less than a 1/10 of a second difference and a 1 mph difference between this guys 730 RWHP CTS-V and the Hellcat's 10.85 @126 reported best time in the 1/4.

doesn't look like 650 will be enough based on that, but that guy's cts-v might just run bad for its numbers compared to another one with less power and is faster... its hard to tell when modified cars come into play... the hellcat is a well sorted car from the factory
Old 12-13-2014, 10:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a really slow time for that power. There's a guy who ran 10.2x @ 13x with about 700whp.
Old 12-13-2014, 11:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had to chime in to correct this. BuddyG's CTS-V ran that time with 631rwhp not 730rwhp.
Here's the mod list straight from his sig:
2011 Sedan Black - CAI, Ported TB, Snout and Blower, upper and lower pulley, cam, dual springs with titanium retainers, injectors, thermostat, heat exchanger, kooks headers and xpipe, engine and tranny tune. 631 rwhp
Best 60ft 1.57
Best ET 10.77
Best MPH 127.60
Old 12-14-2014, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01_SuperSlow
Had to chime in to correct this. BuddyG's CTS-V ran that time with 631rwhp not 730rwhp.
Here's the mod list straight from his sig:
2011 Sedan Black - CAI, Ported TB, Snout and Blower, upper and lower pulley, cam, dual springs with titanium retainers, injectors, thermostat, heat exchanger, kooks headers and xpipe, engine and tranny tune. 631 rwhp
Best 60ft 1.57
Best ET 10.77
Best MPH 127.60

You're right. Could have sworn I saw the 730 number listed for this car on another thread on that forum.
The 630 rwhp certainly correlates with his ET and MPH.

After looking at the " buddyg" thread on that forum again here's something that could be interesting. Apparently he wants someone to drive his 631 rwhp CTS-V so he can match race it from a roll against his new Hellcat.

Last edited by GTman; 12-14-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 12-14-2014, 10:26 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would love to see how the Hellcat engineers dealt with IAT's over the long term. A twin lysholm (Whipple and Kenne Bell) build huge amounts of heat by design. One lap on a course may be manageable, however I don't see any plausible strategies where IAT's would not reach critical levels under continued operation.

I see the Hellcat being more of the old '03-'04 Cobra's with a Kenne Bell, a nice drag or roll race car until about the third pull and then it's done.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
I would love to see how the Hellcat engineers dealt with IAT's over the long term. A twin lysholm (Whipple and Kenne Bell) build huge amounts of heat by design. One lap on a course may be manageable, however I don't see any plausible strategies where IAT's would not reach critical levels under continued operation.

I see the Hellcat being more of the old '03-'04 Cobra's with a Kenne Bell, a nice drag or roll race car until about the third pull and then it's done.

Seems to me I read where the engineers goal with the IAT's was to achieve zero degrees of timing pull back for at least 20 minutes on a race course in 100 degree heat and to that end they were apparently successful.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:54 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems to me I read where the engineers goal with the IAT's was to achieve zero degrees of timing pull back for at least 20 minutes on a race course in 100 degree heat and to that end they were apparently successful.
That is impossible, unless the timing is already set to zero across the board. Ambient temps of that magnitude require compensation of some type for even NA builds.

I'd love to see a Hellcat run a ZL1 or a V on a road course. I believe that's where the Hellcat would show its true weaknesses.

Quick Reply: Hemi hellcat smokin' a cts-v video