Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What computer is in the 05 gen 1 v?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What computer is in the 05 gen 1 v?

Does anyone know what ecm is in the 05 gen 1 V? Mike at vengeance once told me the one in my car was the higher memory computer than the early ls1 cars but i don't know whether its the e40 or e67? He also said that it had 1mb or 1024k of flash capacity

Last edited by Goosecaddy05; 12-30-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Neither, its the LS1B, has the smaller memory block. You wont be able to utilize RTT for example.
Should be 12592618 when read.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vmapper
Neither, its the LS1B, has the smaller memory block. You wont be able to utilize RTT for example.
Should be 12592618 when read.
Thanks yeh i did some research and found out its the largest flash memory version of the ls1-b with the best microprocessor... This is a post from the efilive forums

For those that are interested, here's a quick comparison of the various LSx PCM's.

97/98 PCM
These run a Motorola 68332 Micro and also have some Delphi custom support I.C's. Interestingly they use some I.C's that were used in the old 16bit PCM's (P4, P66 etc). So this is like a hybrid between the old 16bit PCM and the current LS1 PCM's.
Flash capacity is 4Mbit (512K) but is arranged very differently to the current LS1 PCM's.
VIEW OF 1997/98 PCM CASE
http://www.efilive.com/upload/public...98PCM_Case.jpg

VIEW OF 1997/98 PCM PCB #1
http://www.efilive.com/upload/public...98PCM_PCB1.jpg

VIEW OF 1997/98 PCM PCB #2
http://www.efilive.com/upload/public...98PCM_PCB2.jpg

1999+ PCM
The update to the 97/98's. Again running a 32bit Motorola Micro but this one is a custom version of the 683xx series designed for/by Delphi.
All the supprt I.C's are also custom Delphi units, from what I've found they have dedicated I.C's to monitor knock, control spark, monitor I/O pins, O2 sensor processing, and another for Injection.
Flash capacity is 4Mbit (512K).
PCM HDW numbers are either 16220610 (1999-2000) or 09386530 (2001+).
VIEW OF 1999+ PCM CASE
http://www.efilive.com/upload/public...99PCM_Case.jpg

VIEW OF 1999+ PCM PCB
http://www.efilive.com/upload/public/GMPX/99PCM_PCB.jpg

2003+ PCM
Seems to have yet another updated Microprocessor and a few other parts are added but is very similar to the 1999+ PCM.
Flash capacity is 8Mbit (1Mb).
From the outside it looks the same as the 1999+ PCM except instead of a Red connector it is Green.
PCM HDW numbers could be one of the following -
12570558, 12580786, 12583659, 12583660, 12589161 or 12589162.
Some of these PCM's are not interchangable between vehicle applications.
VIEW OF 2003+ PCM PCB
http://www.efilive.com/upload/public/GMPX/03PCM_PCB.jpg
Old 12-30-2014, 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, you mentioned E40 which (please correct me if I'm wrong - Im going off by memory here) has 1024K block I think those are in the LS2 cts-v setups, that would be more than what you have. Hence why I answered you have the 'smaller'. But yes, more than Old LS1 ECMs
Also, none of those links work.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, you mentioned E40 which (please correct me if I'm wrong - Im going off by memory here) has 1024K block I think those are in the LS2 cts-v setups, that would be more than what you have. Hence why I answered you have the 'smaller'. But yes, more than Old LS1 ECMs
Also, none of those links work.
1024k is the same thing as 8 mbit or 1mb, look at a 1 mb memory card if you can, it will read 1024k on it as well which is the same size as the e40...The difference between the e40 and the last gen ls1-b seems to only be a different microprocessor and the e40 does not deal with the trans making the e40 a true ecm
Old 12-30-2014, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the ls2 cts-v, at least the 07 has the e67 ecm instead of the e40... maybe the 06 had the e40? I was told they only used the e40 1 year?
Old 12-31-2014, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Goosecaddy05
1024k is the same thing as 8 mbit or 1mb, look at a 1 mb memory card if you can, it will read 1024k on it as well which is the same size as the e40...The difference between the e40 and the last gen ls1-b seems to only be a different microprocessor and the e40 does not deal with the trans making the e40 a true ecm
Yep, fully aware of 1MB =8Mb = 1024k. (Captial M and B for Byte) lower 'b' for bit. (Which is a 8x conversion) Its been a few years since I looked at my 05 V. Seen many ECMs since...
At least you have an answer to your question.
Old 12-31-2014, 10:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Yep, fully aware of 1MB =8Mb = 1024k. (Captial M and B for Byte) lower 'b' for bit. (Which is a 8x conversion) Its been a few years since I looked at my 05 V. Seen many ECMs since...
At least you have an answer to your question.
thanks for helping me out. When you mentioned the e40 having the 1024 block memory it made me think a bit since in 05 the c6 ls2 used the e40 computer right? But that only lasted a year or 2 i think, and since my motor was the ls6 even though its a 05 model they probably just used the same computer as the 03-04 c5 zo6... Its wierd how they do that just on year models.. The starter in the v is another thing i noticed that's different between 05-06... The 04-05 models seem to have a reduction gear on them while the 06-07 ones don't and its a different model number... I'm pretty sure the ls2 has 10.9 compression vs 10.5 for the ls6 so would the 04-05 starter not be better? or did they just switch it to a cheaper made part that costs more? The difference in price between the 05-06 starter is $365 for 05 and close to $400 for the 06
Old 12-31-2014, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

06 is the E67 about 99.8% positive when we hooked up snap on tool to mine to do a crankshaft relarn procedure after putting a new computer in mine.
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MN_V
06 is the E67 about 99.8% positive when we hooked up snap on tool to mine to do a crankshaft relarn procedure after putting a new computer in mine.
i really wish i had the e67, but i guess i'm going to make do with the last gen ls1-b... I'm just trying to figure out whether to get the ls7 maf and do a custom slot tube for that, or get the lingenfelter 100mm maf with housing since it seems to have the highest flow reading capacity in case i do boost or a big shot later
Old 01-04-2015, 05:55 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I started talks with Pro EFI to see if they may offer us one of their kits to run in parallel to our Stock PCM. This way the cluster and all on board electronics gets all the right information, but the engine is runnin off a more advanced ECU. We could see huge gains from a heavily modified engine vs usin the stock ECU.

Goosecaddy05, if you are maxin out MAF Fq, then lower the injector flow rate and adjust everything else accordingly. IE VE and MAF. I have ran the LPE MAF on my PCM with no issues...

In some cases i can see the purpose of upgradin the ECU, whats yours?
Old 01-04-2015, 08:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Naf
I started talks with Pro EFI to see if they may offer us one of their kits to run in parallel to our Stock PCM. This way the cluster and all on board electronics gets all the right information, but the engine is runnin off a more advanced ECU. We could see huge gains from a heavily modified engine vs usin the stock ECU.

Goosecaddy05, if you are maxin out MAF Fq, then lower the injector flow rate and adjust everything else accordingly. IE VE and MAF. I have ran the LPE MAF on my PCM with no issues...

In some cases i can see the purpose of upgradin the ECU, whats yours?
Mine should be the 03+ ls1-b ecu. I think i'm ok on maf freq with the ls6 but i'm gonna go with the lpe one for down the road... I'm probably gonna go nos with a stand alone fuel cell and twin 15lb bottles since the power i already make is plenty for the road and the nos would allow me to be competitive in a straight line if i ever need it.... Gonna go direct port with a lingenfelter box so i only pull timing when i switch the nos on... i'd hate to be caught with my pants down if i ever need it and switching tunes with this ecu sucks anyway... its very finicky
Old 01-04-2015, 11:38 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

lookin at your signature i see you are running 1 3/4 headers and single clutch..

Why not upgrade to a 1 7/8 headers and a GM multi clutch. It will help your engine breathe and give you extra grip so you are not losin power up top...

How can you say it finicky, i find it very crude and rough. The processor isnt as fast as its suppose to be, and you can always fix a problem by alterin something that has nuttin to do with the problem...

Did you know if you have maxed out your start up airflow all you need to do is increase the min airflow in park and neutral at the lowest rpm. It will be added to the start up airflow...

There are others, but i am drawin blanks right now...
Old 01-05-2015, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Naf
lookin at your signature i see you are running 1 3/4 headers and single clutch..

Why not upgrade to a 1 7/8 headers and a GM multi clutch. It will help your engine breathe and give you extra grip so you are not losin power up top...

How can you say it finicky, i find it very crude and rough. The processor isnt as fast as its suppose to be, and you can always fix a problem by alterin something that has nuttin to do with the problem...

Did you know if you have maxed out your start up airflow all you need to do is increase the min airflow in park and neutral at the lowest rpm. It will be added to the start up airflow...

it might be just my car but its always been a weird one concerning tuning... it will idle and drive fine for a while then start surging and wanting to die a week or two later... then while trying to flash the tune sometimes it won't even take and you have to try it again... I honestly doubt i'll see much of a difference going to 1 7/8ths headers... Mike at Vengeance racing told me at their dyno day you only need to go to 1 7/8ths if you are in the 700+rwhp range and shops push 1 7/8ths to people with 1 3/4th soi they can sell more parts more than something that's necessary for most people...and if you have a dual 3" with an x pipe like i do and no cats i will see no noticeable gains for the money... maybe 5-7 hp tops and i could loose that much in midrange tq... Plus i doubt doing exhaust would gain me anything since my restriction is in the intake... I used to have cats on my car...Car made 499/468 on the dyno with cats and motor at 20 miles on it brand new... then 5000 miles later i had the cats removed and the car re tuned and i made 498/469... so i doubt 1 7/8ths would help me much at all... Plus i like the single disk since it will hold 650 ftlbs and it not as violent as a twin disk when grabbing... Mantic makes a sweet clutch and its relatively cheap as well... I just hope my slave does not go out again, but since i found out that the spacer Vengeance racing put in when they originally put the mantic in was much too big and over extended the slave, that should be fixed now since i had a different shop machine it to the correct size after they measured everything
Old 01-06-2015, 09:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is the kind of crap that drives me absolutely batshit crazy!!!!!!!!!!!! The problem is a lot of this kind of thing is OS not just ECM dependent. The guys that know these little quirks aren't talking because they want to keep their competitive advantage (mainly professional tuners).

Another example that I am still trying to figure out is the fact that CFCO is required to be inactive for DFCO to work (makes sense but the documentation doesn't indicate this). Since my CPS is removed to support the Tick MC my car thinks its in neutral all of the time... Not good. Because of this even though ALL of the DFCO requirements are met the car will not go into DFCO. This causes the car to run extremely rich during decel so you get a good bit of lag when getting back on the throttle. All of these little gotchas are a PIA.

Keep me posted on the Pro EFI piggyback setup. If I had something with clearly defined relationships between input and output I would be a MUCH happier camper. BTW the Virtual VE table stuff required for the E67 SUX!!!! Hopefully HP Tuners will get their beta set up to support MAPs > 100KPa soon. For some unknown reason, maybe operator head space errors, I can't get the BlueCat tool to work on my PC...
Old 01-07-2015, 12:37 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

it might be just my car but its always been a weird one concerning tuning... it will idle and drive fine for a while then start surging and wanting to die a week or two later... then while trying to flash the tune sometimes it won't even take and you have to try it again... I honestly doubt i'll see much of a difference going to 1 7/8ths headers... Mike at Vengeance racing told me at their dyno day you only need to go to 1 7/8ths if you are in the 700+rwhp range and shops push 1 7/8ths to people with 1 3/4th soi they can sell more parts more than something that's necessary for most people...and if you have a dual 3" with an x pipe like i do and no cats i will see no noticeable gains for the money... maybe 5-7 hp tops and i could loose that much in midrange tq... Plus i doubt doing exhaust would gain me anything since my restriction is in the intake... I used to have cats on my car...Car made 499/468 on the dyno with cats and motor at 20 miles on it brand new... then 5000 miles later i had the cats removed and the car re tuned and i made 498/469... so i doubt 1 7/8ths would help me much at all... Plus i like the single disk since it will hold 650 ftlbs and it not as violent as a twin disk when grabbing... Mantic makes a sweet clutch and its relatively cheap as well... I just hope my slave does not go out again, but since i found out that the spacer Vengeance racing put in when they originally put the mantic in was much too big and over extended the slave, that should be fixed now since i had a different shop machine it to the correct size after they measured everything
I found the biggest difference. Your upper end. I am runing a smaller cam than you, but have ported LS9 heads with 102 FAST and 102mm NW TB. So since my engine breathes more in, it needs to exhail more out..Though my numbers below are with 1 3/4 headers, and i recently upgraded to 1 7/8 and am workin out the bugs before i hit the dyno. I will also upgrade to the GM multi disc...

post your tune here and let me take a gander to see if i may fix your surgin issues...
Old 01-07-2015, 06:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Naf
I found the biggest difference. Your upper end. I am runing a smaller cam than you, but have ported LS9 heads with 102 FAST and 102mm NW TB. So since my engine breathes more in, it needs to exhail more out..Though my numbers below are with 1 3/4 headers, and i recently upgraded to 1 7/8 and am workin out the bugs before i hit the dyno. I will also upgrade to the GM multi disc...

post your tune here and let me take a gander to see if i may fix your surgin issues...
the surging is fixed now, and it drove great for a while... then suddenly it started wanting to die everywhere while in parking lots... I got that fixed, but now when i come to a stop and blip the throttle it will hang at 1100-1200 and give me an idle code lol... Its set to ignore the idle code so it won't throw a check engine light now... but if it hangs it will still send me a service engine soon message on the nav screen(what is really weird is that when i hit ok on the nav screeen after the message shows up the idle goes back to normal... its friggin possessed!!)... We'll see if i can get that to go away... Its so friggin random ... I mean the car willl be fine for a few months even and with nothing changed will all of a sudden get these random issues...
Old 01-07-2015, 07:01 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

the surging is fixed now, and it drove great for a while... then suddenly it started wanting to die everywhere while in parking lots... I got that fixed, but now when i come to a stop and blip the throttle it will hang at 1100-1200 and give me an idle code lol... Its set to ignore the idle code so it won't throw a check engine light now... but if it hangs it will still send me a service engine soon message on the nav screen(what is really weird is that when i hit ok on the nav screeen after the message shows up the idle goes back to normal... its friggin possessed!!)... We'll see if i can get that to go away... Its so friggin random ... I mean the car willl be fine for a few months even and with nothing changed will all of a sudden get these random issues...
Did you drill a hole in you tb?

either way post your tune, i know how annoyin it is when it doesnt act properly...

Also take a look at yout tb behind the plate, is it really black?
Old 01-07-2015, 11:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Naf
Did you drill a hole in you tb?

either way post your tune, i know how annoyin it is when it doesnt act properly...

Also take a look at yout tb behind the plate, is it really black?
its on the dyno right now getting tested with data acquisition to tell just where if any restrictions really exist... Its hard to tell if the map reading is really that acurrate... i should be able to tell after its off if my issure is mechanical or tune related
Old 01-15-2015, 12:19 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Follow up...What happened on the dyno? how does she run after a little dyno time...What did you change to resolve your issues?

Quick Reply: What computer is in the 05 gen 1 v?