Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Team Dynamics center caps? What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
Dude... You can't flaunt pricing like that and not hook some brothers up.
werd
Old 02-19-2015, 10:48 AM
TECH Addict

Well, got the wheels today. No center caps and no groove. I think it's bullshit that I pay full price and don't get any caps but oh well. Guess I'll spend the 126 to get the adapters. But then I'll still be out over another 100 or so to get caps. This is goinf to be a 1500 dollar set of wheels real fast at this rate.
Old 02-19-2015, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just paint the hub and **** black... Leave the caps off.

You know, first time you take it to get the tires changed... They won't put the caps on right, or they will just not put em on, and you'll be out another few bux for an adaptor and a cap
Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by raven154
Well, got the wheels today. No center caps and no groove. I think it's bullshit that I pay full price and don't get any caps but oh well. Guess I'll spend the 126 to get the adapters. But then I'll still be out over another 100 or so to get caps. This is goinf to be a 1500 dollar set of wheels real fast at this rate.
I'd like to see what the adapters look like. But not for $226. Paint the **** and move on.
Old 02-19-2015, 11:33 AM
TECH Addict

I'll probably pic up some 20 domed caps off ebay or something. Yeah I'm not going to pay what they what for center caps.

If I don't run them I can just say, because race car lol
Old 02-19-2015, 11:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well I got lucky and a guy on facebook is sending me 3 new black center caps for 10 bucks. Any body have an extra cap they want to donate to a good cause lol I've got something else in the works that should be really cheap and look good but if that falls through I'll need another cap. Then I uses a Dremel and router a small groove for the cap it clip it.

Old 02-20-2015, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Also got another reply back from trinity. The 126 includes caps and adapters for all 4 wheels. I will add that trinityteks replys are pretty vauge. Seems like I have to email them 3 times to get one question answered fully.
Old 02-20-2015, 05:45 PM
TECH Addict

Well here is my solution to the whole no wheel caps thing. I found these bearing grease caps that where almost the right diameter. They are a little shy on size so I played around with center punching the back of them and that worked great, I just didn't like how they scratched/cut into the wheel a little when installed so for know they are just wrapped in electrical tape and hammered in. I don't think they will fall out any time soon. I may look into other means like some set screws or something more permanent.

I did cut the hub down 7mm to clear these or any other caps in the future. Instead of just beveling it I chose to cut them down and then chamfer the edge slightly. Looks good, hub still engages the wheel, and I have plenty of clearence now.

Anyway, here's the final product. Paint still isn't perfect but I'm experimenting with colors and base coats to get the color right.

Test fitting

Sanded with 320, black base coat, silver metallic top coat.

Hub cut down and installed like its ready to roll down the road.

And finally what I started with. Best part is its about 6 bucks a pair. So for 12 bucks and a can or two of paint, you can have some center caps that I think look pretty damn good.

Old 02-20-2015, 11:23 PM
TECH Regular

Holy **** haha that is badass good job that looks really good
Old 02-21-2015, 06:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is BS!!
Old 02-21-2015, 06:28 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well here is my solution to the whole no wheel caps thing. I found these bearing grease caps that where almost the right diameter. They are a little shy on size so I played around with center punching the back of them and that worked great, I just didn't like how they scratched/cut into the wheel a little when installed so for know they are just wrapped in electrical tape and hammered in. I don't think they will fall out any time soon. I may look into other means like some set screws or something more permanent.

I did cut the hub down 7mm to clear these or any other caps in the future. Instead of just beveling it I chose to cut them down and then chamfer the edge slightly. Looks good, hub still engages the wheel, and I have plenty of clearence now.

Anyway, here's the final product. Paint still isn't perfect but I'm experimenting with colors and base coats to get the color right.

Test fitting

Sanded with 320, black base coat, silver metallic top coat.

Hub cut down and installed like its ready to roll down the road.

And finally what I started with. Best part is its about 6 bucks a pair. So for 12 bucks and a can or two of paint, you can have some center caps that I think look pretty damn good.

Love the rims. Just wish they didnt put advertising on the rims...Nice colour!
Old 02-21-2015, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nice work. How did u cut the hub?
Old 02-21-2015, 08:40 AM
TECH Addict

I was using my band saw but my motor is getting a little weak so I had to switch to a cutoff wheel. Took a while lol
Old 02-21-2015, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I was using my band saw but my motor is getting a little weak so I had to switch to a cutoff wheel. Took a while lol
I did my grinding with it mounted on the car. Are they hard to take off? I've never had to remove a hub before. Sure would be easier to work on without the wheel studs in the way.
Old 02-21-2015, 09:31 AM
TECH Addict

It looks worse than it really is. It's a lot easier with an impact to pull the axle nut but it's doable with out one too.

Before you pull the caliper, stand on the brakes and bust the axle nut loose with a breaker bar or if you have an impact no need for brakes. Then pull the caliper, rotor, abs connector, upper control arm, shock, and both lower control arms. (One is a spring perch) the hardest part was the e brake cable. It has 3 tabs that depress to pull the cable of it the bracket. Then it has a big spring that's a pain.

Anyway, once that's off, you just pull three bolts oif of the back of the nuckle and the hub finally falls out. Then a big hammer and the studs drive right out no issues.

Assembly is just the reverse. It sounds more complicated than it really is and if you really wanted to, you might be able to pull the hub without pulling the knuckle, just looked easier in the long run to pull it. I also put in lower control arm bushings while the nuckle was off.

Last edited by raven154; 02-21-2015 at 09:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 02:11 AM
Launching!

I also put in lower control arm bushings while the nuckle was off.
What bushings did you put in for lower control arms?
Old 02-22-2015, 06:20 AM
TECH Addict

Revshift LCA bushings on just the knuckle itself.
Old 05-15-2015, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

I also bought the Team Dynamics wheels without Center cap and it looks crappy with all the rust on the Center hub, here´s my solution:

I turned a set of Center caps in 7075 alu, specially measured for every wheel hub (there were big differences in diameter, 0.05mm on each and 0.3mm in the set of wheels !!!) sprayed them black and hammered in with a centering about 4mm, glued with silicon and finished with cadillac logo made in China, result is good, hope they will hold in their place a long time and not loosing them on Autobahn or something else?!

Best regards,
Ronald
Old 05-17-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for the solutions guys. Ron you want to start selling those? $126 from trinty is way to much for center caps

Raven any pic of the finished rear hub modifications. Did all the hubs need to be trimmed or just the rear?
Old 05-17-2015, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Choppy_Idle
The center caps look great, but you gotta do something about those lug nuts!

Quick Reply: Team Dynamics center caps? What's the deal?