Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Water/Meth Injection

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It helps the rotors seal primarily and cools them secondarily. Blown alcohol cars run this way with a small injection pre blower and most post blower (pro-mod style cars). It should be well proven from that stand point
Very true for a roots blower but I didn't want to limit the discussion to just that FI method.

Wow 28 degrees is a ton of timing. I run more timing than the stock LS2 across the board but I am nowhere near 28 degrees at full boost. I'm around half that right now (still playing with things).
Old 02-25-2015, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now it is 21 degrees at full bore, no knock siiting in traffic and a wot run
Old 02-25-2015, 09:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sssnake
I've seen lots of debate on that subject. The intercoolers/aftercoolers are most efficient when the temperature gradient is the greatest which supports your statement. The flip side to that argument is that compressor efficiency is dramatically increased when injecting pre-compressor. I don't have direct experience with meth so I can't provide any conclusive statements. My expectation is that it will come down to the details of the specific system.

For example if the intercooler is undersized or inefficient then injecting post intercooler makes a LOT more sense as the charge temp will still be elevated and therefore benefit from the additional cooling.

A conflicting example is in the case where the compressor is undersized but has a good intercooler. In this case the system may benefit more from the bump to compressor efficiency than it would from additional charge cooling post intercooler. IMO that is why you see so many conflicting opinions.
True, and I agree with what you have said.
To sum this up however, if its Methanol injection placement is to alleviate a supporting items deficiency, weather it be intercooler (too small or design (bar/plate) etc) OR to move air charge back to the ideal compressor efficiency range...
The details of the specfic system is then & the bottom line is simply a) wrong intercooler choice was made or b) wrong choice of compressor for the build. If these items were of 'good choices', we would be back to injection at throttle/IAT.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:23 AM
Teching In

Default Water/Meth Injection

I want to thank everyone for sharing their knowledge and experiences.

Thanks to everyone for their input!!!

George
07 CTS-V
Prosper, TX
Old 02-26-2015, 07:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by vmapper
....the bottom line is simply a) wrong intercooler choice was made or b) wrong choice of compressor for the build. If these items were of 'good choices', we would be back to injection at throttle/IAT.
^This!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:10 PM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

I used the original windshield res, and installed the pump on the backside of the front bumper...

Snow max mpg controller and connected to the injectors. I used the maf to activate the pump once temps raised above 70f and put the iat just before the tb...this way i run full timin on hot days above 17% inj duty...
Old 03-03-2015, 10:04 PM
Launching!

Has anyone added an octane booster to the injection mix? I was thinking about doing a small injection of torco or similar. Use a really small nozzle then inject torco on a boost switch to allow timing. Then you still have knock sensors in case something fails instead of it going lean. Maybe this is completely stupid...

I have no idea on the materials compatibly though.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not familiar with torco. But methanol is an octane boost, which is partially the reason I am running it. Other being iat drops, I just had my torque app the other day (no hp tuners, yet) read me a a 107 iat after I hot lapped and heatsoaked the crap out of it. Which only was about 140 or so sitting and cruising. But wot was 107..outside air of 70
Old 03-04-2015, 08:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 2007V
Has anyone added an octane booster to the injection mix? I was thinking about doing a small injection of torco or similar. Use a really small nozzle then inject torco on a boost switch to allow timing. Then you still have knock sensors in case something fails instead of it going lean. Maybe this is completely stupid...

I have no idea on the materials compatibly though.
At that point just run 100% metanol. Hell of alot cheaper at 12$ gal vs 20$ for a pint. Methanol is 110 octane. It boils at 150 degrees though. Most octane boosters are methanol in it. Methanol injection still allows for knock sensors to be used, it doesnt require you to desensitize them. Either way you run the risk of erroding the coating on the rotors.. 50/50 is safe, you have to run more than 1 bar or 14.5 psi to need the extra octane, unless you're running 87. If your running crazy timing then yes you could use it, but at a huge risk. Small nozzle vs. Large doesnt matter you would have to find the right mixture to benefit from it,
Old 03-05-2015, 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ran a meth injection system in my last car (06 Subaru Legacy) for nearly 7yrs. I daily drove it, summer heat, extreme winter cold, I tracked the heck out of it, and took long family road trips with it. Aside from a pump failure and a leaky 90* fitting, I never had any issues. I ran regular blue washer fluid from the OEM washer fluid tank. The convenience and reliability of running a 20-25% meth solution found in standard washer fluid (available anywhere at anytime) trumped the performance gains of aftermarket blends or homemade cocktails, for me anyways. I ran a specific tune for the meth system that added a little more timing and boost due to the increased knock resistance and pulled a little fuel because of the added octane, but it was still largely conservative and wouldn't grenade my motor instantly if the system and failsafes failed. I made about 40/40 additional hp/tq at the wheels in an AWD car with a tiny turbo. Loved the fact that my car pulled just as hard on the track at the end of a 20min session in 100* heat as it did on a cold fall day. I'll definitely use meth injection again if I find myself with another forced induction daily driver. The V is my first NA car is a long time.

Quick Reply: Water/Meth Injection