Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

V1 5 lug swap [complete]

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ls1247
I like a wider tire from a cosmetic standpoint but I also like the stock wheels. Was thinking about rolling the fenders, using a 1/4" spacer on longer studs, the CS arms and 9.75 inch widen stock wheels running a 305 tire. This should work but before pulling the trigger, I'll research it again....you get conflicting stories....
305's are too wide for a 9.75 inch rim width, but then again so are 275's on the stockers. I am sure we all would love a nice wider stance....IMO thats the only thing that the V1 is missing from an apperance factor.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 88BlackZ-51
305's are too wide for a 9.75 inch rim width, but then again so are 275's on the stockers. I am sure we all would love a nice wider stance....IMO thats the only thing that the V1 is missing from an apperance factor.
From what I've read, some 305s would be too wide, others maybe not so much because of allowable size variations but it'll be damn close either way. May eventually need a 295 but you know how it is, can't help but try....
Old 03-18-2015, 12:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

From what I've read, some 305s would be too wide, others maybe not so much because of allowable size variations but it'll be damn close either way. May eventually need a 295 but you know how it is, can't help but try....
I hear you but not worth it to imo to have that bowl look but whatever you fancy. GM max tire was a 285 on a 9.5 rim on the later C4's and even they started to bowl. They then started to put 285's on a 10 inch rim as it flattened it out and handled better. My C6 had 315's on a 10.5 inch rim but that was effort!

I just bought michelin super sports for the V and I was close to getting the 265's on the stockers but I just couldnt do it. I decided on 245's square.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:24 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

parking brake assemblies ordered from luke at lindsay. another $350ish down the drain.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bio248
parking brake assemblies ordered from luke at lindsay. another $350ish down the drain.
What do u think the total cost will be with rims or without?
Old 03-18-2015, 07:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
To properly convert to a 5 lug system and not redrillin your rotors, which is a bad idea...

Redrilling your rotors for the new configuration though possible is not safe at all.
Can you explain how it's unsafe?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:02 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Can you explain how it's unsafe?
Of course i will explain.

The idea is sound, in a pinch yes redrillin works for you are not puttin constant pressure on the brakes.

If you were to race them hard you will find the holes will expand and lead to a failure, the metal isnt uniform around the holes any more. Therefor the heat will hit some areas harder than others. Heat is an enemy, where it leads to metal fatigue. You saw what happened to the Racing Brake rotors. The hat separated from the rotor. For the heat of either the HAT or the rotor was in excess of the other and one expanded more than the other and BANG, separation.

If the holes were uniformly drilled where you have the same amount of material around each hole than you shouldnt have an issue, but in this case its not the case.

You are takin the one thing that could possibly save your life and put it in jeopardy, Why would you do that, the brakes should always out perform your engine...

One of the first mods i do is brakes, suspension, tires and wheels...Then i push into the motor, tranny, and rear end...
Old 03-19-2015, 06:49 AM
On The Tree

What a mess, i think i'll stick with my stock wheels
Old 03-19-2015, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Naf

The idea is sound, in a pinch yes redrillin works for you are not puttin constant pressure on the brakes.

If you were to race them hard you will find the holes will expand and lead to a failure, the metal isnt uniform around the holes any more. Therefor the heat will hit some areas harder than others. Heat is an enemy, where it leads to metal fatigue. You saw what happened to the Racing Brake rotors. The hat separated from the rotor. For the heat of either the HAT or the rotor was in excess of the other and one expanded more than the other and BANG, separation.

If the holes were uniformly drilled where you have the same amount of material around each hole than you shouldnt have an issue, but in this case its not the case.

You are takin the one thing that could possibly save your life and put it in jeopardy, Why would you do that, the brakes should always out perform your engine...

One of the first mods i do is brakes, suspension, tires and wheels...Then i push into the motor, tranny, and rear end...
Never mind....reread post.

Last edited by ls1247; 03-19-2015 at 07:37 AM.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:25 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Bio248
No luck at the junkyard? Is this the 08 and up cts ebrake on v2 backing plates?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2015, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

You see a lot of cross drilled rotors in racing applications....not sure what the difference is here.
Originally Posted by Naf

I'm gonna guess this part.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:40 AM
TECH Addict

I reread his post but still not convinced it would be an issue at the rotor hat. It wouldn't be nearly as hot and what heat got there would also dissipate into the wheel itself.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:42 AM
TECH Resident

No luck at the junkyard? Is this the 08 and up cts ebrake on v2 backing plates?

Thanks!
the majority of the part numbers are the same, except for the backing plate which is different because of the rotors/wheels that come on the car.

i can't say i tried super hard to find a junkyard score as i'm kind of in a losing situation with time right now. the longer i run on my winter tires into warmer weather the more they'll be worn for next year.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:47 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf

The rotor hat breaking like the racing brake stuff is where the rotor meets the hat. A place where there is a lot of heat. Where the rotor mounts to the bearing does not see nearly that much heat. Have you seen a rotor hat glow?

With that said, drilling rotors so they work on the 6 lug is not that big of a deal. The holes on the rotor hat do not take the stress of braking. That is absorbed through the rotor being sandwiched to the hub via the wheel. Once the wheel is torqued on do you think the rotor has the ability to move back and forth to egg out the holes like you claim?

If that were the case, every car would see the threads on their stud mashed, where the rotor contacts the threads.

I like that AAIIC chimed in because he has drilled the rotors, and raced them. HARD. No failure. Thus why I'm sure he questioned you on this.

Originally Posted by tmac2419
I'm gonna guess this part.
He is not talking about the rotor surface, but the holes for the wheel studs/lugs.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I reread his post but still not convinced it would be an issue at the rotor hat. It wouldn't be nearly as hot and what heat got there would also dissipate into the wheel itself.
bingo. Alloy wheel would absorb that heat fast. It basically acts as a heat sink.
Old 03-22-2015, 02:22 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
The rotor hat breaking like the racing brake stuff is where the rotor meets the hat. A place where there is a lot of heat. Where the rotor mounts to the bearing does not see nearly that much heat. Have you seen a rotor hat glow?

With that said, drilling rotors so they work on the 6 lug is not that big of a deal. The holes on the rotor hat do not take the stress of braking. That is absorbed through the rotor being sandwiched to the hub via the wheel. Once the wheel is torqued on do you think the rotor has the ability to move back and forth to egg out the holes like you claim?

If that were the case, every car would see the threads on their stud mashed, where the rotor contacts the threads.

I like that AAIIC chimed in because he has drilled the rotors, and raced them. HARD. No failure. Thus why I'm sure he questioned you on this.

He is not talking about the rotor surface, but the holes for the wheel studs/lugs.

I dont take more chances than i have to. Yes there are rotor hats with multiple holes for different wheel hubs. The pressure of the wheel bolted on the hub helps minimize movement of the hat, but we all know Murphys Law.

Dont take the exception and make it the rule, the hats do get hot, they may not glow for you are changin the medium for the heat to transfer through. If you google rotor failure, you will see most of them fail at the point where the rotor meets the hat, but if you look closely none of them are redrilled to fit other hubs.

There is no right nor wrong answer to this question, but there is concern for safety and price. You wanna save on a set of rotors now then later, once they wear out, change for the correct ones then go ahead. Its your life, and who am i to tell you how to live it.

I have learnt that the most expensive nor the cheapest are the best. And if everyone is running it doesnt make it the best either, just makes it more affordable to the masses. Research, planning, and proper execution are key to minimizing the effects of Mod hell. And if you did your homework and everything is in line then you should be enjoyin your ride rather than cursin the day you bought it...
Old 03-22-2015, 07:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by johnny6
What a mess, i think i'll stick with my stock wheels
Was my thinking as well. If the stockers were ugly it would have been a must...
Old 03-22-2015, 08:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Naf
Well, that went about as I expected.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:07 PM
TECH Resident

these came on friday:

Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 AM
Naf
TECH Fanatic

make sure you try fit everything once before you start to bleed the brakes. You may have to shim the caliper or hub to center the rotor in the caliper.

I had to add 1mm to the front hub on my V2 upgrade.

Quick Reply: V1 5 lug swap [complete]