Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Simple brake question about my Wife's Ford Edge

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 08:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simple brake question about my Wife's Ford Edge

Wifey drives an '11 Edge (Sport, like it matters) and I was changing the summer wheels over to the winter stuff the other day when I noticed that some of the brake pads don't seem to move as freely as I'd like them to. They bind a bit in these little metal sliders/clips that clip to the caliper bracket. Without these little metal clips in there, the pads move nice and freely. Would I be better off to toss these clips in the garbage and let the pads just sit in the bracket, or would it be advisable to take a grinder to the pads and trim a little material off so that they fit nicely with the clips installed? Are these clips necessary?

For the record, I cleaned and re-lubricated everything and the pads were still binding a bit...
Old 10-04-2015, 09:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Those are stainless and a good thing to leave in there. I use sandpaper to clean them up and lube them when I do pads. If they're really gnarly you could replace them but I don't imagine a car that new would be that bad. If the pads are just that tight, I've actually narrowed the tab on the pad with an angle grinder before.
Old 10-04-2015, 09:49 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, the slider hardware usually cleans up with a little brake cleaner, but they should definitely stay in place, and often times have return springs built into them. I've had to grind down tabs on aftermarket pads before, no real harm there ifyou just take off enough to free them up.
Old 10-04-2015, 10:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I, too, have Dremel'd the end of the pad backing plate tabs to let them slide a bit more freely. Some aftermarket pads don't have the dimensions quite right (or their quality control isn't good enough, or a combination of both). Definitely want to leave the little stainless clip things in there.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:26 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for chiming in, fellas. You're all confirming what I figured. And for the record, I had already used some emery cloth and brake clean on these clips to get them all nice and shiney-new again. Then I put some brake lube on 'em as well. But the pads still didn't move very well.

We bought this vehicle (used) in June of last year. One of the conditions of the sale was that they put new brakes on it. They had it done at their local Ford stealership (where the vehicle was originally purchased) to the tune of about $1K, with "genuine ford parts", and provided the receipt to us as well. This is why I'm a little surprised that the pads apparently require some grinding to fit properly. Maybe I shouldn't be surprised though...
Old 10-05-2015, 09:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I'd be surprised about that as well but I think the solution is still the same. Who knows the real reason.

Quick Reply: Simple brake question about my Wife's Ford Edge