Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

H Pipe vs X Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 12:16 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H Pipe vs X Pipe

I am currently running a h pipe with 2.5 inch exhaust with flowmasters 44 series mufflers. I just bought Hooker Max Flows and I am going to have them installed next weekend. I am debating on having the shop remove my H and add on an x pipe but don't know if it would be worth the money. What are your thoughts?
Old 05-14-2011, 02:18 PM
10 Second Club

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

For ???? maybe up to 10 max..... I'd pass. (really doubt you'd see 3hp in all reality)
Old 05-14-2011, 03:03 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

A X pipe is supposed to be all the rage, but IDK, i am still running old school regular dual 3 inch, now if you went 3 inch X pipe over a 2.5 H pipe, you might notice a gain.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I have read that an x or an h can give up to 15 hp. I have also heard stories that people got nothing. I does change the sound a bit though.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:57 PM
Launching!

I was told before I installed the H a xpipe would gain me about 12-15 hp mid to high range. The hpipe would gain me 7-10hp low to mid power range. I don't know if this is true but I went with the H because it was easy to install. The x pipe in my set up will need to be installed by a custom exhaust shop. Again I am not sure if its worth the money. I will probably just leave the H in there I did notice the H made the car sound louder than my standard duals. From what I heard X pipes will make it quieter.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:04 PM
On The Tree

Default X-pipe

I built an x pipe out of 3" for my camaro and blew air threw one side and was amazed at the vaccum on the opposite side.No dyno results or proof one is better than the other but I will always put an X under my car.Just my 2 cents as they say.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
9 Second Club

Apparently the very best system for flow is a y-pipe which is being run in stock eliminator but you must merge the two banks in a pipe large enough to accomodate all the exhaust flow without generating an increase in pressure. Nascar also uses a type of y-pipe in most applications. Otherwise tune for open headers with extensions using pipemax or similar program. Place the h-pipe cross over at the place where your extensions would drop off. If you already have an x-pipe you are probably splitting hairs to change it to an h-pipe if it is already close to where the cross over should be. I understand more back pressure or friction is built by an x-pipe which is evident in how such a system further reduces the decibel level over an h-pipe system. Take my research for what it is...or
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Downpipe owns all of the above
Old 07-02-2011, 01:19 PM
Teching In

Do a search. i believe it was car craft did an article like that on a fox body or something. They came out 3 in collectors to 2.5 x pipe and made a "Chamber" just before the muffler that stepped up to 3.5 and went into 3in muffler to turndown. They stated they created the chamber to keep the exhaust from "stacking up" in front of the muffler. long story short they found like 15 horses and better mid range over open headers. If i can find the article ill post it.

Just $.02
Old 07-02-2011, 02:48 PM

I run a 3" x pipe on my car couldn't really say it helps or hurts power as I didn't have any numbers to base it upon
Old 07-02-2011, 04:00 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I went X-pipe. It was a pain on the a-body. I was tempted to go H when I started laying it out, but I hung in there and made all the necessary cuts and welds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2BdAijCRxs

Here is a pic:
Attached Thumbnails H Pipe vs X Pipe-3inch-exhaust-small.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011, 11:12 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I went X-pipe. It was a pain on the a-body. I was tempted to go H when I started laying it out, but I hung in there and made all the necessary cuts and welds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2BdAijCRxs

Here is a pic:
Nice thats looks like the setup i had on my s10 before i went lsx. looks good
Old 07-03-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Default x pipe

I am not an exhaust guru or anything but I can give you my .02 from what I have experienced with my own cars:

1. An exhaust system can help or hurt an engine's performance. On two different cars I have owned, open headers were LESS powerful and less torquey than after the exhaust was hung.

2. X pipe definitely quiets down the decibel/volume of the exhaust

I'll stop there 'cause that's all I know for sure.
Old 07-03-2011, 07:13 PM
Launching!

x-pipe does tone the sound down a bit. My experience with an x-pipe was good, and it brought back some of the low-mid range my old truck lost with true duals.

Current setup doesn't have anything yet...just true duals dumped. But I do plan on adding at least an h-pipe to balance everything out.
Old 07-07-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

I like the hot rod sound of an h-pipe. I played with a 03 mustang GT a ton with an H and an X-pipe and hated the raspy X sound. Any car I have had an X-pipe on sounded better with an H-pipe in my opinion, with chambered mufflers. An X-pipe sounds better with some kind of magnaflow flow through muffler I have found. X-pipes sounded chitty with chamered Flows I found. As for horsepower, I dont know.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3" x pipe and bullets here...love the sound
Old 07-07-2011, 10:07 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I just put an H pipe on my car. It has full 3" w/ ultraflow strait through glasspacks. It sounds ALOT tamer now at idle with the H than before, also quieter at part throttle as well, and the H seems to have removed the annoying rasp that the car had before. Its still loud at WFO. I am happy with the H.
I had an X on the car before, but it had chambered flowmaster style muffs, I HATED it! it sounded way high pitched with the X, and had the part throttle rasp.
I'd like to try the Y pipe, but in reverse after a big single turbo, lol
Old 07-17-2011, 06:08 PM
Teching In

Finally found time and found that article if anyone is interested to read it.
Here's the link: http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles...ion/index.html

Quick Reply: H Pipe vs X Pipe