Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Hard Start 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 03:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard Start 5.3

Eddy 1406 msd 6010. I've set my initial timing at 15* which jumps to 27 plus 10*MAP. This thing refuses to start when cold. I'm thinking I'm way lean, but I've messed with the idle screws a bunch and it still doesn't want to start without a bunch of cranking and pumping the pedal.

When it does finally start it sputters a little and then catches up, after that it seems to idle well, not really any smoke when it cranks unless I really pump the **** out of it.

Any help is appreciated....
Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

No speaky Eddy carburetor. I am a Holley guy. Hopefully someone will chime in that knows them.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:54 PM
On The Tree

I would clean the carb out. The junky gas we use crystallizes when it sits in the carb. My quick fuel did that and I had to take it apart and clean it out. Good luck.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:36 PM
10 Second Club

Where does your timing jump up at? I had a hard start problem with mine, and finally took care of it when I Jumped the timing from 22 for cranking, up to 36 at idle, and flat lined across the graph from there. IT LOVED IT. For some reason mine likes a lot of timing at idle to run clean. IIRC I jumped the timing at 600 RPM. Not guaranteeing that's the answer, but its something to try.

Ive also found that if I do a gradual ramp with the timing through idle that the different timing causes the idle to hunt. Hope this helps, Eric L
Old 07-23-2014, 08:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Prorac1
Where does your timing jump up at? I had a hard start problem with mine, and finally took care of it when I Jumped the timing from 22 for cranking, up to 36 at idle, and flat lined across the graph from there. IT LOVED IT. For some reason mine likes a lot of timing at idle to run clean. IIRC I jumped the timing at 600 RPM. Not guaranteeing that's the answer, but its something to try.

Ive also found that if I do a gradual ramp with the timing through idle that the different timing causes the idle to hunt. Hope this helps, Eric L
so you're saying i should ramp through the idle? My idle seems ok where it is but I am totally open to suggestions... after reading the timing sticky a bunch of times i set a baseline against those suggestions.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:11 AM
10 Second Club

No. You do NOT want to ramp through your idle RPM. That will cause the idle to hunt. Ramp it before or after your target idle rpm. That's just from my experience. Eric L
Old 07-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

OK, so I seem to have a decent setup. Maybe I still need more timing at start? I thought it was easier to light off at 15* or lower?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:54 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Remove the edelbrock carb and put a 4777 650 holley in its place.

Your problem isn't the timing so much as it is the curse of the edelbrock carbs (Carters also). Nearly every one I saw need to be choked or primed beyond reason.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

Well I'm not changing my carb out... Carb is all cleaned out, I still have to check my floats to make sure they are set correctly and reset my choke, but I still don't know why the hard start exists
Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Staging Lane

Carb is set correctly now... problem persists. I am thinking it is now a suspected electrical problem. Going to put a jumper on the batt today to see if it helps get it going faster. Maybe some kind of ground issue?

Quick Reply: Hard Start 5.3