Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

car starts, dies immediately....

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default car starts, dies immediately....

Earlier today, I noticed some slight drops in RPM 2 or 3 times at stoplights....always came right back up, and ran fine when on the gas. (this has me thinking fuel filter? or IAC?)

I tried starting it after a meeting, and it took 3 or 4 tries before it stayed on. I haven't had a chance to scan for codes, but I know O2 sensors are bad (put them off a little but it's run fine and mileage/performance never suffered so didn't think that was an urgent issue).

Last time I parked it at work it wouldn't start up again....starts up, dies immediately (IAC? sensor?).. Tried pulling PCM and Batt fuses for an hour while I was working just for the heck of it - no luck.

PAST PROBLEMS: have had fuel problems, replaced fuel pump. Pump turns on and I hear it working...when car fires up for a second it sounds really healthy -- not weak, etc.

--------

That's a brief summary - hopefully enough to guide me! In the meantime, I will be searching. I just really needed to get a post out there in the mean time because this is currently my only car -- work let me take a company car home for the night. On top of everything, this is my first day with the company. I wonder if my car is trying to tell me something...

Thanks for any help!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm going to try to get autozone to lend me a scanner tomorrow to check it out if it doesnt start in the morning when I get there. All of these little tasks such as pull plugs, etc become pretty big projects now. I work until 3:30 or 4 everyday, when it starts to get dark fast. On top of that, the car is in an open parking lot where the high tomorrow is supposed to be 8 degrees F (currently on blizzard watch with 20-30 mph winds).

-------

I know it's early, but I think for the first time ever I may need to bite the bullet on this one and have it towed. It's my only car now, its the middle of winter, parked 20 minutes away in an open lot, and I need transportation to work.

---

Given my situation, here is my plan for tomorrow (let me know if I should add anything):

* try starting with original keys and hope for the best
* try starting with other set of keys
* check battery terminals / power connections
* check wires - POSSIBLY pull a plug
* check what I can IAC, PCV hose related
* check fuel pressure when off after one prime, etc..
* find a scanner and scan for codes

Don't know what else I can do given the time I'm going to have and the conditions - I don't even have the weekend to take care of it because I'll be in the upper peninsula
Old 01-13-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Could be IAC, that is what first comes to mind.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

It started immediately today during lunch (was afraid to leave the office though)and then again after work, and I made it home. Started it up recently and went to Autozone, scanned it -- came back as MAF ckt. So I'm going to clean that up a little tonight and see if that helps....or should I leave it alone since it has been running recently and I don't have a company car as a backup this time?
Old 01-26-2009, 11:31 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having the exact same problem, can you keep it running by giving it gas (for the most part)?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine did about the same thing when my 02's finally gave out.......................u need new ones anyway, see if that is it.

Quick Reply: car starts, dies immediately....