Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Which Badge: SS or Z28?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Badge: SS or Z28?

Which one do you respect more? My car started out as a z28 and is pretty much an SS now. Hood and spoiler. But nonetheless, I keep the badges. I respect the Z28 badge more because it's unique to the Camaro. What are your thoughts?
Old 01-17-2009, 10:08 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's a Z28, then don't put SS badges on it. If it's a SS, then don't put Z28 badges on it. If you wish it were one or the other, then you should have bought one or the other in the first place.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

well most peope see the SS badge and think that it is something special. I have a few friends who told me i should have gotten an ss instead of a z but then i had to explain to them that they are basically the same thing. I even had one friend that thought the ss models were supercharged and that they were alot faster then a z28. I personally dont care what badge is on the car but i think the ss badge generally gets more respect from other people just because they dont know any better.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:20 PM
TECH Resident

Among regular people I would say the SS gets more respect because most people recognize the SS from the hood and spoiler. But among car enthuisist I think most of us know that they are the same as far as the drivetrain goes so neither really gets more respect than the other. It's funny to me how little most people know about f-bodies.
Old 01-18-2009, 01:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by quiet_storm98
well most peope see the SS badge and think that it is something special. I have a few friends who told me i should have gotten an ss instead of a z but then i had to explain to them that they are basically the same thing. I even had one friend that thought the ss models were supercharged and that they were alot faster then a z28. I personally dont care what badge is on the car but i think the ss badge generally gets more respect from other people just because they dont know any better.
I knew a Gen III Camaro owner who thought the SS was something special compared to the z28. Even after I got the hood, he said "An SS is still faster." Some people will never learn...

Originally Posted by demonspeed
If it's a Z28, then don't put SS badges on it. If it's a SS, then don't put Z28 badges on it. If you wish it were one or the other, then you should have bought one or the other in the first place.
I wasn't saying I was going to put SS badges on my car. I would never make my car something it's not. It's a z28 through and through. I'm just saying, I respect the z28 badge more than the SS because it's unique to the Camaro.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:15 AM
Staging Lane

yea i would say go for the z28 badges as for rarity z28's are special people just dont realize it. oh wow an ss just has a few extra option's nothing really fast about that cause i too can just buy those options from slp. I can even get better options.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by 00Antivenom
I wasn't saying I was going to put SS badges on my car. I would never make my car something it's not. It's a z28 through and through. I'm just saying, I respect the z28 badge more than the SS because it's unique to the Camaro.
I wasn't directing it at you personally. I was simply stating it in general.

Many Chevrolet's have been Super Sports. Only one vehicle has been a Z28.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:53 PM
TECH Resident

wrong my SS was and is a Z/28 too! In the door jam it says Z28 and also WU8, therefore two cars can be Z28s. and to me I don't give a damn what badge gets more respect. I like built, not necesarily bought. I bought my SS because I had a better starting place than if I'd bought a Z. I'd be just as happy with a Z if I could still put all the parts I want on it.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
wrong my SS was and is a Z/28 too! In the door jam it says Z28 and also WU8, therefore two cars can be Z28s. and to me I don't give a damn what badge gets more respect. I like built, not necesarily bought. I bought my SS because I had a better starting place than if I'd bought a Z. I'd be just as happy with a Z if I could still put all the parts I want on it.
its not really that much of a better starting place. its just a hood, spoiler, emblems and maybe suspension/ rims for the most part
Old 01-19-2009, 12:51 AM
12 Second Club

I always thought "Z28" had a hell of a ring to it. I'd love a high-revving 302c.i. LSX under the hood, though.
Old 01-19-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by EnfuegoZ28
Among regular people I would say the SS gets more respect because most people recognize the SS from the hood and spoiler. But among car enthuisist I think most of us know that they are the same as far as the drivetrain goes so neither really gets more respect than the other. It's funny to me how little most people know about f-bodies.
very true......
Old 01-19-2009, 08:35 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Originally Posted by Avaric3
its not really that much of a better starting place. its just a hood, spoiler, emblems and maybe suspension/ rims for the most part
Especially when you take into consideration that the price difference between the Z28 and SS could buy some mods for that Z28.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00Antivenom
Which one do you respect more? My car started out as a z28 and is pretty much an SS now. Hood and spoiler. But nonetheless, I keep the badges. I respect the Z28 badge more because it's unique to the Camaro. What are your thoughts?
Your car is a Z28 then? Why does your sig say "Z28/SS"?
Old 01-19-2009, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 2KThunder
Your car is a Z28 then? Why does your sig say "Z28/SS"?
Just that it has the ram air hood and spoiler. That's all. Kind of like how you could get the old SS's with an RS body package.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:32 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Avaric3
your, "not really," only sounds like denial to me. 98-02 wise, which is a better starting point, stock for stock? <That's a yes or no question and not a "not really" kind of question. You Z28 guys really hate to respect the SS for what it is. You act like you and your car is inferior. No, you and your car or not. The SSs just got better stuff for stock, that is all! All a stock SS has over a Z28 is sway bars and exhaust(overall)! every now and then you'll see somebody with a black wing air box but that's rare.

Admit it, stock for stock an ls1 SS will handle a little better than a Z28 and go buy some damn sway bars and quit crying.

And man, I don't care what badges you put on your car it matters none to me. Do what you like.

Everybody else with a Z28 quit bitching about an SS isn't that much better duhhh cuz its just a hood spoiler sway bars and exhaust. It doesn't matter! Just be happy with what you got and mod!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 PM

z28 sounds better with camaro to me
Old 02-10-2009, 02:07 PM
Teching In

ss .
Old 02-10-2009, 06:52 PM

Love the SS, but I was looking for a Z28 when I bought it. I thought the added price was too much for what you got. The dealer only has SS's and gave me a great deal. Now that I own it, I will always like the SS better. but to each his own. The added mods are not a lot for the cash you shell out but the looks of the car are a lot better. And like said, most uninformed people think the SS is something far superior to the Z28. Even the Cobra crowd makes a big deal over racing an SS over a Z28.

But I also agree, don't badge a car something it is not. There is a local V6 RS with an SS hood and SS badges that local Cobra's brag about beating in races all the time. they actually think they took an LS1 that easily.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 7camaro7
Hahaha, that's true. Although I do think you're just a stuck up SS owner, you're correct. Technically all SS's are Z28's.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i like the z28 better

Quick Reply: Which Badge: SS or Z28?