Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

stupid?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid?

I recently aquired a 98 v6 camaro. I have been reading about the swaps on here and everyone is like just sell it and get a z ...bla bla. I would like to talk to anyone who has actually done it, or knows exactly what I need. I figured a free car, might as well play with it!
Old 03-11-2009, 03:05 PM
Teching In

What do you want to put in her?
Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM

There are some serious hp V6 f-bodies out there. Check out some of the turbo kits available for the v6. Lots of room in that engine bay. Check out some of the V6 web sites. I think ls1.com has a v6 forum. I think there is a sickv6 or something like that as well.

I saw a yellow v6 camaro with a turbo kit @ almost 500rwhp & same rwtq.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:44 PM
Teching In

I agree, my neighbor had a really wicked 6 daily driver that ran in the high 13 low 14 range...I've never personally seen one with turbo's though but I bet it would get it. Also, a friend of mine knows someone that has a V6 3800 that claims to have around 380hp. I've never seen him run personally but my bud has and told me that he would either win or give me a really good run on my LS1. I could probably get you a list of his mods if your interested.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Teching In

The car has a roasted tranny and about 150k miles, so it is time for some tlc... I have a daily driver so not worried about how long takes, just want it to have a v8. I have been looking at cradle and motor combos out of wrecked stuff, I dont think it will be too expencive or hard to do. Looking at a ford 9'' out back.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It isn't hard or expensive. The only thing about it is that you have to upgrade the suspension and a bunch of other little parts. If you don't care about a rough ride then it is no big deal.. Also you have to drop the engine out the bottom. Easiest way.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Teching In

It's not really that bad at all, your best bet is to buy an LS1 from the junkyard with the 4L60E or M6 attached, rebuild and install your mods, get a PCM and a Painless wiring harness from ebay, buy some Z28 decals off of ebay, install some OEM Z28 struts and shocks, and get that bitch aligned...Boom, instant Z28! You can really buy everything you need from Jegs and Ebay for pretty good prices...
Old 03-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Teching In

thanks for the advice! My only question is why do i need the painless harness? wouldent the harness just plug straight in? the motor I am looking at has everything on it, harness, cradle and suspension....I was thinking it would just be a bolt in type of thing.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:41 AM
Teching In

It's more of a suggestion really, I've had some real issues with connections before in the past when they go back togehter, and it was all due to the ignition and emissions wiring harness. Maybe it's just my big clumsy hands but I always break a couple fuel injector connectors and usually some other crap when I mess with one. Defintely give it a shot, but if the connectors start breaking and you have electrical issues when your done a painless kit would probably be the way to go. I hate ripping stuff back apart real bad so I usually just try to eliminate bs before it happens. Buying the individual connectors from GM to repair the existing harness will run you way more than just buying one. I bought some connectors last week: (2) fuel injector, (2) knock sensor, (1) map sensor, and (1) coolant temp sensor...together they all ran $212, dealer items only too, I've tried to buy them at autozone and oreilly before, they never have them.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Teching In

fair enough, I can justify that. So what harness should I get? Is there just a stock replacement one?
Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by The02Witchburner
It's more of a suggestion really, I've had some real issues with connections before in the past when they go back togehter, and it was all due to the ignition and emissions wiring harness. Maybe it's just my big clumsy hands but I always break a couple fuel injector connectors and usually some other crap when I mess with one. Defintely give it a shot, but if the connectors start breaking and you have electrical issues when your done a painless kit would probably be the way to go. I hate ripping stuff back apart real bad so I usually just try to eliminate bs before it happens. Buying the individual connectors from GM to repair the existing harness will run you way more than just buying one. I bought some connectors last week: (2) fuel injector, (2) knock sensor, (1) map sensor, and (1) coolant temp sensor...together they all ran $212, dealer items only too, I've tried to buy them at autozone and oreilly before, they never have them.
The GM Dealer / ACDelco pigtail prices can get out of hand VERY quickly as they will often sell a pigtail for $40 when you can buy a connector from us for $3.99. We try to offer all of our connectors in a connector only, connector kit (with terminals and seals) and pigtail version for FAR less than the GM dealer prices. A quick example is the 93-94 Optispark harness which we sell for $24.99 in qty 1 and GM lists for $488.23. Even the best dealer prices only get you down to around half that GM list price.

Optispark Example:
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1015

GM Connectors, Connector Kits & Pigtails:
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/ind.../cPath/109_130

We have seen a LOT of bad wiring in the field which is why we sell production quality tooling as well. Bad wiring is one of those evil issues where you can spend thousands before finding out it was just a bad crimp on a $4 connector.
Old 03-15-2009, 11:22 PM
Teching In

thanks, you guys have a lot of usefull stuff. I will bookmark you.
Old 03-21-2009, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The02Witchburner
I agree, my neighbor had a really wicked 6 daily driver that ran in the high 13 low 14 range...I've never personally seen one with turbo's though but I bet it would get it. Also, a friend of mine knows someone that has a V6 3800 that claims to have around 380hp. I've never seen him run personally but my bud has and told me that he would either win or give me a really good run on my LS1. I could probably get you a list of his mods if your interested.
I'd like the list of stuuf that he did with his Camaro. You can PM me if you want. Thanks
Old 03-22-2009, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmotorsports
The GM Dealer / ACDelco pigtail prices can get out of hand VERY quickly as they will often sell a pigtail for $40 when you can buy a connector from us for $3.99. We try to offer all of our connectors in a connector only, connector kit (with terminals and seals) and pigtail version for FAR less than the GM dealer prices. A quick example is the 93-94 Optispark harness which we sell for $24.99 in qty 1 and GM lists for $488.23. Even the best dealer prices only get you down to around half that GM list price.

Optispark Example:
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/pro...oducts_id/1015

GM Connectors, Connector Kits & Pigtails:
http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/ind.../cPath/109_130

We have seen a LOT of bad wiring in the field which is why we sell production quality tooling as well. Bad wiring is one of those evil issues where you can spend thousands before finding out it was just a bad crimp on a $4 connector.
Awesome, bookmarked you guys in case I need something!

Quick Reply: stupid?