Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Would u buy a car that probably had nitrous?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 12:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Would u buy a car that probably had nitrous?

Would u consider a car (say a 4th gen f body) that more than likely had been sprayed by a previous owner? No damage or problems now, just that once had a nitrous setup on it. Opinions.....?
Old 01-07-2013, 12:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Depends on the owner.. If they took proper steps, absolutely... If not, absolutely not.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it was tuned for it and had all the necessary accessories to safely spray it like a window switch, WOT switch, purge etc then yea no doubt id buy it.

If it was setup with push button activation taped to the steering wheel then no.
Old 01-07-2013, 01:06 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All comes down to trust if it was done right yes. If you are talking about spending a decent amount of money on this car tale the time to pull the engine apart and look for damage
Old 01-07-2013, 01:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Since it's still running and if there's no abnormal sounds from the motor it was probably done right. Buying any used car is a gamble even if it's stock since they could be selling it because it has issues.

More than likely a modded car was maintained better than a stock car since they usually care about their ride. People that use a car for just transportation tend to neglect maintaining them properly.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:30 AM
On The Tree

Well I completely agree in that if the nitrous system was setup and run properly then it should not matter. The issue is that without tearing the motor down and looking at pistons, etc, you would never know. Especially if say ure buying it from the 4th owner and the 2nd was the one who sprayed it. Guess it's just a crapshoot.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:45 AM
12 Second Club

I'd leave it alone. You can always find one that hasn't been sprayed. I bought one that was sprayed improperly around 10 years ago and it turned out bad. Motor blew up in it 10K after I bought it @ 45,000 miles. Before I bought the car there was nothing abnormal sounding coming from the motor, and it ran great. There's too many of these things out there for cheap these days to chance it.
Old 01-11-2013, 01:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I honesly dont like buying modified vehicles unless I really know the person and how he treats his vehicles. Only way to know is your you to ask the owner who tuned it, who did the work, check the cars history, take it for a drive, look for parts that could not be done the right way and of course ask the owner questions about the car

Car could have issues later on, unless its a steal, you know the car wont give you "too" many problems, and everything is done right ill go for it, otherwise just buy a bonestock car and start modding it yourself
Old 01-11-2013, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

I bought mine from an owner with nitrous. I've put over 20,000 miles on it since. Runs great. I put my own kit on it as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:59 PM
TECH Regular

It's kind of like asking would you marry a woman who was big in the **** industry. It's really you're call man but you never know how it was handled before you. I would personally try to find an unmolested car that hasn't seen nitrous.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 01 ss vert
I bought mine from an owner with nitrous. I've put over 20,000 miles on it since. Runs great. I put my own kit on it as well.
True, and if it's been taken care of it will probably be fine. But IMO there are way too many other deals to risk buying a car that's been sprayed. Im kinda biased though; I bought one that blew up on me.

Originally Posted by 97camaroguy
It's kind of like asking would you marry a woman who was big in the **** industry. It's really you're call man but you never know how it was handled before you. I would personally try to find an unmolested car that hasn't seen nitrous.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

I won't buy a car without it. It's so much cheaper to buy a car already built if that's what your
Looking for
Old 01-17-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find nitrous a little scary. There are a lot of things that can go wrong even with a properly tuned and set up car. Unless it is a really super deal I would pass.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Resident

If it's set-up right, I would buy it.

Honestly, I would be more afraid of getting a modded srt-4 or a subaru and those came with a poweradder from the factory. Just as much could go wrong with a spooled car as one with nitrous - just saying. It also depends on how much nitrous is jetted for - I've never gone over 100hp, and that's not unheard of by any means for an LS1. If fact, guys go higher than that with a dry kit, and mines a wet kit with the 360 degree ring, colder plugs, a ractronix kit, and timing taken out. It doesn't run lean.

It's seen 99% less abuse under nitrous than it would if I had a turbo or supercharger. I haven't hit the button since April. I would hit boost everyday if I had an unlimited supply of extra power.

Somthing to think about.

Last edited by 01 ss vert; 01-17-2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-17-2013, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

My camaro (from what i heard) was married to the bottle early in its life. It had changed hands twice since the guy who supposidly sprayed it had it and its now got 125k miles and is cammed. I've put 24k miles on it and haven't had any problems at all out of the engine but when I did cam it (2k miles ago) I changed lifters, oil pump, timing chain and what not. With anything its rolling dice but if it sounds good now I wouldn't be very worried about it.

Quick Reply: Would u buy a car that probably had nitrous?