Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Tsp headers w/tsp rumbler exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tsp headers w/tsp rumbler exhaust

I am planning on going with the TSP Rumbler Bullet True Dual Exhaust coupled with TSP long tube 1 3/4" headers. It states on the site that these headers and this exhaust system are made for eachother (or fit eachother), so I thought it would be a good idea to go with the same brand as they will work well with eachother.

Questions:

1. Is this a reliable/solid set up?
2. How much of HP/TQ gain shall I see?
3. Is there a better true dual/header setup within the same price range ($800-900)?
4. Should I spend the extra $140 for the TSP 1 7/8" headers as compared to the 1 3/4" headers, and if so, why? What is the extra benefit in power, durability, etc.?

TSP Headers:
http://www.texas-speed.com/p-3516-te...e-headers.aspx

TSP Exhaust:
http://texas-speed.com/p-372-texas-s...true-dual.aspx

Thank you!!
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not hesitate at all to purchase the Texas Speed headers and true duals. While I don't have their headers, I do run their true duals with their bullets. The fitment was great and the ground clearance is about as good as it's going to get considering these vehicles were not intended to run duals. With that said, I would recommend you to purchase the 1 7/8 headers over the 1 3/4. The 1 7/8 headers are going to be a much better investment, whether you stay just simple bolt-ons, or move up to heads/cam/intake. You'll see increased power regarding the mods with 1 7/8 headers over the 1 3/4 headers. In my opinion, there is no better headers/duals combo out there. Kooks has their own headers/duals, but the price is quite a bit more. As far as reliability, it's completely reliable as long as everything is installed correctly. You'll also want to get a tune after you install the headers and duals. It's also the perfect time to change plugs and wires. Hope that helps you out some.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

I went with the 1 7/8" primaries. When I was looking into the exhaust i was led to believe that the 1 7/8 would be a better flowing exhaust because i was planning on going with ported 243 heads and cam.

1 3/4" is a pretty standard primary size and a lot of people run them. I just opted for a little room for improvement. now take that with a grain of salt. sometimes you just have to test it yourself. you wont gain a whole lot until you have it tuned. i know after SLP lid and bellow, 1 7/8" primary into the rumbler bullet exhaust on my camaro i saw improvement but i would have seen a lot more if i had it tuned.

just know you lose quite a bit of ground clearance with that exhaust and i tried to hang it as high up as i could under the car. I have a youtube vid of the dyno and undershot of the car driving with the setup.

iirc 427zm had 1 3/4" primaries for his 434 monster build and when he switched to the 2" primary exhaust he lost some 20hp in some of his torque curve.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
I would not hesitate at all to purchase the Texas Speed headers and true duals. While I don't have their headers, I do run their true duals with their bullets. The fitment was great and the ground clearance is about as good as it's going to get considering these vehicles were not intended to run duals. With that said, I would recommend you to purchase the 1 7/8 headers over the 1 3/4. The 1 7/8 headers are going to be a much better investment, whether you stay just simple bolt-ons, or move up to heads/cam/intake. You'll see increased power regarding the mods with 1 7/8 headers over the 1 3/4 headers. In my opinion, there is no better headers/duals combo out there. Kooks has their own headers/duals, but the price is quite a bit more. As far as reliability, it's completely reliable as long as everything is installed correctly. You'll also want to get a tune after you install the headers and duals. It's also the perfect time to change plugs and wires. Hope that helps you out some.
Thanks so much for the response. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend the extra 140 on the 1 and 7/8" headers, but now hearing it from multiple people on this site, that is what I will do. Also, as far as clearance goes with the true duals, how much less clearance are we talking as compared to the stock set up? What do I have to worry about?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sick_tight
I went with the 1 7/8" primaries. When I was looking into the exhaust i was led to believe that the 1 7/8 would be a better flowing exhaust because i was planning on going with ported 243 heads and cam.

1 3/4" is a pretty standard primary size and a lot of people run them. I just opted for a little room for improvement. now take that with a grain of salt. sometimes you just have to test it yourself. you wont gain a whole lot until you have it tuned. i know after SLP lid and bellow, 1 7/8" primary into the rumbler bullet exhaust on my camaro i saw improvement but i would have seen a lot more if i had it tuned.

just know you lose quite a bit of ground clearance with that exhaust and i tried to hang it as high up as i could under the car. I have a youtube vid of the dyno and undershot of the car driving with the setup.

iirc 427zm had 1 3/4" primaries for his 434 monster build and when he switched to the 2" primary exhaust he lost some 20hp in some of his torque curve.
Thank you. Can you link me the vid you posted? Also, what were you trying to say by telling me someone switched from 1 3/4" to 2" and lost power? Are you saying there is potential for that to happen from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" or from stock to 1 7/8". Also, if I get it tuned after the install is there any figure you can come up with as far as the gains I would see?
Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Swens651
Thanks so much for the response. I was hoping I wouldn't have to spend the extra 140 on the 1 and 7/8" headers, but now hearing it from multiple people on this site, that is what I will do. Also, as far as clearance goes with the true duals, how much less clearance are we talking as compared to the stock set up? What do I have to worry about?
The extra $140 will be worth it in the end, trust me. My headers are only 1 3/4 and I wish I would have known what I know now because I would not have bought anything smaller than 1 7/8. In regards to clearance, you just have to be careful driving over speed bumps and going in and out of driveways that have a peak to them. It does not impact me at all; I'm just more cognoscente of it than I was before I had duals. I would also highly recommend getting on YouTube and listen to the different setups. I still have the bullets that came with my Texas Speed duals, but to be honest, they are really quiet to me. I will be replacing them with either Dynomax bullets for Flowmaster Delta 10 single chamber mufflers.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:46 PM
TECH Regular

heres the exhaust running on the car as i do some street driving

and heres my dyno runs. i never got a baseline but you can look at similar stock LS1 6speed dyno pulls. i would see a bigger improvement in numbers if i had it tuned.

I mentioned the 434 build because sometimes bigger isnt better. I think you would see an improvement later on down the line with the 1 7/8" exhaust after heads (like 243's) and cam or just cam but you have a possiblity of losing hp and torque if you go too big but like i said from my research i was led to believe that 1 7/8 was a sweet spot. but you cant go wrong with either. imo
Old 06-12-2014, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

The extra $140 will be worth it in the end, trust me. My headers are only 1 3/4 and I wish I would have known what I know now because I would not have bought anything smaller than 1 7/8. In regards to clearance, you just have to be careful driving over speed bumps and going in and out of driveways that have a peak to them. It does not impact me at all; I'm just more cognoscente of it than I was before I had duals. I would also highly recommend getting on YouTube and listen to the different setups. I still have the bullets that came with my Texas Speed duals, but to be honest, they are really quiet to me. I will be replacing them with either Dynomax bullets for Flowmaster Delta 10 single chamber mufflers.
I'm not too worried about the sound, but more the performance, but they're louder than the stock exhaust, correct? I would like them to be atelast louder than stock by a decent margin.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by sick_tight
heres the exhaust running on the car as i do some street driving

LS1 F-Body TSP LTs and True Dual - YouTube

and heres my dyno runs. i never got a baseline but you can look at similar stock LS1 6speed dyno pulls. i would see a bigger improvement in numbers if i had it tuned.

Dyno Runs - YouTube

I mentioned the 434 build because sometimes bigger isnt better. I think you would see an improvement later on down the line with the 1 7/8" exhaust after heads (like 243's) and cam or just cam but you have a possiblity of losing hp and torque if you go too big but like i said from my research i was led to believe that 1 7/8 was a sweet spot. but you cant go wrong with either. imo
Nice video, thank you for that! Also, did you prefer to have them not come all the way back and dump at the axle like that, or are they designed that way?
Old 06-12-2014, 02:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's louder than stock exhaust by a LOT.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Also, guys, I will be wanting to put these tips on the Rumbler exhaust to keep the stock look. I like the stock tips better than any aftermarket. What do you think?

http://fasttoys.net/shop/High-Polish...-Exhaust-Tips/
Old 06-12-2014, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

youre talking about the TSP true dual right? no Y pipe? because if you are then that is where the exhaust dumps. it cuts your ground clearance and is substantially louder than stock exhaust and tips are pointless since its buried under the car. they dont go over the rear axle like the kooks do. thats why they are such a great price.

quality pieces and reliable but youre not getting a full length exhaust.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, the duals do not extend out the back. You can have an exhaust shop fab up something to extend them, but from Texas Speed, they are dumped.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, the duals do not extend out the back. You can have an exhaust shop fab up something to extend them, but from Texas Speed, they are dumped.
Guys, I am sorry, I was not aware that they did this. Does it state that it dumps like that on the site? Can anyone recommend a setup that is true dual and fits perfectly with the headers, AND comes out all the way to the back within the 800-900 dollar price range? I want to keep the stock look.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Kooks is the only one that extends all the way to the bumper, but their headers and duals will be more than $900.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Kooks is the only one that extends all the way to the bumper, but their headers and duals will be more than $900.
I will look into that. Either way, I have gotten some valuable information on the TSP's from you guys, so thank you for that. I may still go with the TSP, but I really wanted true duals that went all the way back w/o having to spend extra on fabrication from a shop to extend them.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

I personally love dumped duals, but that's just my preference. It gives it more of a "muscle car" look and feel. Now, if it was my daily driver, I may feel different.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:13 PM
TECH Regular

I personally love dumped duals, but that's just my preference. It gives it more of a "muscle car" look and feel. Now, if it was my daily driver, I may feel different.
i agree, i didnt mind the dump. they ARE designed to run like that but you have the option to have an exhaust shop extend it to over the axle.

it was more of a daily driven car for me and i liked it, drone wasnt bad IMO when i drove from VA to FL for training but everyone has their preference. its definitely loud. that can be a positive or negative but the ground clearance was my issue, it was damn near touching the car underneath and i still scraped on speed bumps. i would have never been able to install strano springs IMO and not crack header bolts.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:00 PM
On The Tree

I like the looks of them as well, but had the idea of keeping it stock. You're right about the muscle car look with the true duals dumping short of the back. Hmmm.. I have some thinking to do, because you just can't beat that price 409.99. That's insanely cheap.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:25 PM
o2k
Staging Lane

that sounds pretty good.

Quick Reply: Tsp headers w/tsp rumbler exhaust