Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Need some help, looking to buy a 1997 SS (need insight)

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 07:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some help, looking to buy a 1997 SS (need insight)

Hi everyone,

I have always had a soft spot for late model F-bodies and I am in a position to pick one up.

I found a 1997 Red, T-top, 6 peed SS for sale kinda local for $6K with 119K miles. It has the basic interior in grey cloth, monsoon, etc. Per SLP's site it is a Car Cover, Shifter, Exhaust (TOTL) car (was hoping for suspension and diff.).

The car looks clean for the year and miles, only thing that jumps out is that its had 3 owners from 2012-2013 per carfax. I have talked to the guy and the car has been between friends in this time due to buying other things, not fitting very well, etc...

Thing I know need to be addressed, needs tires (dry rotted), has the common oil cooler leak at the filter, couple very small paint issues. Does have a new kevlar clutch kit (getting the specs) and a skip shift eliminator.

My goal for this car, drive it and mod it. Not looking to build a monster motor car, really going to focus on the suspension first (want to do full suspension).

So, after that long winded post (sorry) what should I look for when I go look at the car, and is the price reasonable?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 10-30-2014, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Take a good look at the diff. Listen to any whines or howels. Check the opti and water pump area. Look for any signs of leaks. See if the trans grinds when going through the gears or pops out of gear. Put the ac on full blast and see if it starts running hot and let it idle for a bit with the ac running and check the temp and look for leaks when warmed up. See if the windows roll up all the way or go slow when going up. Bring a cup of water and check the ttops for leaks. Ask if he has any service records.
Old 10-30-2014, 12:53 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nothing really in particular for a LT1 car that one wouldn't want to pay attention to for any and all 4th gens -- other than ensuring the Optispark/water pump has been replaced recently (and discounting accordingly if not).
Old 10-31-2014, 01:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

TOO much for a LT1 show em cash and beat them down. I've seen cherry way lower mile LT1's go for less. I personally love the look of the LT1 cars I bought a new 97 SS the day I graduated high school. But the LS1 cars desirability slaughtered the LT1 cars resale and street value.

Last edited by 01WS6/tamu; 11-01-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Quick Reply: Need some help, looking to buy a 1997 SS (need insight)