Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 07:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 70 Posts

The Chevy is looking really good now*
Old 12-15-2016, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Nice build. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm wanting 4-500 RWHP with a bad-*** suspension. I come from the motorcycle street/track rider and have sold my bikes to get back into the cars,(I was into the cars in the 80's), WOW how things have changed. Coil-overs with hi/low speed adjustment was what I wanted in my motorcycle and I did that with penske and traxxion dynamic parts.
The car suspension has more parts to it. So far I've got my SFC and front STB. I'm really not wanting to spend 2K on coil-overs. From what i'm seeing Koni's are the way to go with Strano springs. After I get the suspension handled i'll be onto the rear end,not sure what to buy there. I'll be watching your posts to see how your car is coming consider you have the same intentions as I do.
I haven't been to any auto crossing yet but I'll be looking to them after the first of the year.
I will be building a nother motor for my SS when the time comes. That way I can just RnR it and be back on the road. My Camaro is a hobby fun car not my DD kinda like the bikes i've had.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ToeRacing
Nice build. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you. I'm wanting 4-500 RWHP with a bad-*** suspension. I come from the motorcycle street/track rider and have sold my bikes to get back into the cars,(I was into the cars in the 80's), WOW how things have changed. Coil-overs with hi/low speed adjustment was what I wanted in my motorcycle and I did that with penske and traxxion dynamic parts.
The car suspension has more parts to it. So far I've got my SFC and front STB. I'm really not wanting to spend 2K on coil-overs. From what i'm seeing Koni's are the way to go with Strano springs. After I get the suspension handled i'll be onto the rear end,not sure what to buy there. I'll be watching your posts to see how your car is coming consider you have the same intentions as I do.
I haven't been to any auto crossing yet but I'll be looking to them after the first of the year.
I will be building a nother motor for my SS when the time comes. That way I can just RnR it and be back on the road. My Camaro is a hobby fun car not my DD kinda like the bikes i've had.
If you don't want to drop the coin on the coilovers, konis and strano springs are the way to go. Just go slow, buy good parts and get the car set up the way you want. These things are a blast. I wish mine weren't locked up for the winter.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by blackandgold
If you don't want to drop the coin on the coilovers, konis and strano springs are the way to go. Just go slow, buy good parts and get the car set up the way you want. These things are a blast. I wish mine weren't locked up for the winter.
Did you notice a huge difference with the sway bars??? I'll be ordering Strano springs with sway bars after the holidays hopefully.
Old 12-25-2016, 01:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Did you notice a huge difference with the sway bars??? I'll be ordering Strano springs with sway bars after the holidays hopefully.
Swaybars (35mm front, 22mm rear) make a huge difference, as much or more than springs.
Old 12-25-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
Swaybars (35mm front, 22mm rear) make a huge difference, as much or more than springs.
Sweet!!!! I always wanted to do sway bars on the car years ago but never got around to doing it. Now I will
Old 12-25-2016, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King Nothing
Sweet!!!! I always wanted to do sway bars on the car years ago but never got around to doing it. Now I will
They are definitely one of the best upgrades you can make.
Old 12-26-2016, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

They are definitely one of the best upgrades you can make.
I'm looking forward to it!
Old 01-26-2017, 10:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

Build looks good. Your plans/ideas for the car are similar to my own tastes. Love the garage too btw, the two tone looks killer.
Old 01-26-2017, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Reaper-Z
Build looks good. Your plans/ideas for the car are similar to my own tastes. Love the garage too btw, the two tone looks killer.
Thanks! I'm getting ready to start on the interior this year, it's been slow going since I was focused on the Jeep so much, but I've decided to pay off the wrangler this winter and focus back on the camaro. Although I'm looking at a few 60's C10 stepsides since I've always wanted one.
Old 02-22-2017, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got some used tail lights from a member here. Mine were delaminating, dented and water would sit in them. Apparently it sat in there all winter...Soldered on some new sockets, and swapped the new housings on. Much better:

Also basically a week of 70 degree weather plus rain to wash away the road salt? What is going on Iowa?
Old 02-22-2017, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looking good man! I had the same problem with the tail lights on mine, one was cracked and filled with water, still worked surprisingly. Got mine from a member on here to, can't say he was the honest guy but both were basically mint with perfectly symmetrical, identical, concave dents on both of them…

I am looking forward to your choice of motor options. Still think I'm going to do a 408 but seen a couple guys do 370's with spec'd cam and AI ls3 top ends and get 500rwhp through the t56 and 9". Makes me wonder if it's worth it to go with a 4" stroke 402, 408, 418 etc. and lose some overall longevity.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TX98Z28
Looking good man! I had the same problem with the tail lights on mine, one was cracked and filled with water, still worked surprisingly. Got mine from a member on here to, can't say he was the honest guy but both were basically mint with perfectly symmetrical, identical, concave dents on both of them…

I am looking forward to your choice of motor options. Still think I'm going to do a 408 but seen a couple guys do 370's with spec'd cam and AI ls3 top ends and get 500rwhp through the t56 and 9". Makes me wonder if it's worth it to go with a 4" stroke 402, 408, 418 etc. and lose some overall longevity.
To be honest I think the motor might be on hold for now, I only owe about 15k on the Jeep so I think I'm going to pay it off this winter. That being said I might still do an intake, small cam and headers on the LS1 and run it till it blows up.

I'd love to see you go ham with power though, I think the way the car is set up will lend itself really well to a spec'd out LS3.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:50 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To be honest I think the motor might be on hold for now, I only owe about 15k on the Jeep so I think I'm going to pay it off this winter. That being said I might still do an intake, small cam and headers on the LS1 and run it till it blows up.

I'd love to see you go ham with power though, I think the way the car is set up will lend itself really well to a spec'd out LS3.
Man sorry it took me so long to respond, my email notification got sent to the spam folder, haven't been on for a while also.

I'd do the same with paying off the 15k. Ive been looking at some assembled resleeved engines from TSP http://www.texas-speed.com/p-5589-ts...00-stroke.aspx
Can do a 402, 403, 404, 408, 415, 416, 417, 427 all the way up to a 440 on a 4" stroke, 4.125" bore max if doing power adders. It's temping me but will be to 12-17k before I know it with all the other stuff to buy. Was going to re sleeve the LS1 but was going to be like 3k for just the machine work and Darton wet sleeves installed, thats with me supplying the block, still be over 10k faster than lighting too.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any updates
Old 03-08-2018, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojob
Any updates
I went way off the deep end with my Jeeping hobby this year and spent a lot of time hitting new trails and dropping coin on Jeep parts. I need to do something with the engine in the Camaro this year I'm just not sure what yet.

I did finally update the head unit to one with Android Auto last week(ignore the gross carpet...it needs to go):

And obligatory Jeep pic:

Old 03-08-2018, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Your Jeep hobby isn't nearly as fun for us, so you need to cut back on that and show us more Camaro, haha.

What head unit did you go with? I have the double din bezel and unit with bluetooth from my old truck that I planned to through in as a temp improvement which would be upgraded after I the amp/s needed the speakers well.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Crf450r420
Your Jeep hobby isn't nearly as fun for us, so you need to cut back on that and show us more Camaro, haha.

What head unit did you go with? I have the double din bezel and unit with bluetooth from my old truck that I planned to through in as a temp improvement which would be upgraded after I the amp/s needed the speakers well.
I would cut back, but honestly it's too much fun, I'm signed up for 1 Jamboree this summer. The good part is after I put the skid plates on I should be happy with it for a while.

I went with a JVC kw-v830bt, pretty happy with it so far although I've only driven the Camaro once this year. Either way it will be nice to not have to fumble with CDs anymore.
Old 03-08-2018, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sure it's fun.

Your pictures didn't show up last time I had this open for some reason so I couldn't see the deck. I'll try and remember to ask you how it works before I upgrade mine later. I'm just throwing in the old JVC of mine for the same reason. Can't make a call and have to listen to the radio. I don't own any cassette tapes anymore.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the car is settled in to Michigan. It was a 9 hour drive averaged ~85mph, got 23.4mpg and just overall drove pretty great:

Going to road trip it down to my parents in Pittsburgh early this coming week as well!

Quick Reply: BlackandGold's project RECALLD Bought not Built