Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Power steering issue 1st Gen

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power steering issue 1st Gen

Evening all. I have a 99 LS1/T56 in a 67 Camaro. In order to get things rolling I spliced the stock Vette PS hoses to the hoses of a Quick Ratio stock box. Steering feels fine for general driving but has a feel that can be described as needing an effort between standard non power steering and power steering. It has worked fine for 1500 miles since the build, however I am planning on hitting an autocross in two weeks and I am wondering if there is anything I might do to improve the feel of the steering. Hopefully the only answer will not be a rack, that is not an option for this build.

I appreciate any information that can be given. Thanks in advance!

Jim
Old 09-25-2015, 08:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Jim- is your complaint that there is too much effort? Is this a stock fast ratio box or aftermarket upgraded box? Most prefer the increased effort of an aftermarket box (or iroc box) for improved feel, especially for autocross. I have done quite a few swaps and also modified the stock hardline on the pressure side to mate with a steering box. Def more effort than stock power steering & box setup (you will not be able to steer with your pinky).
Old 10-02-2015, 03:53 PM
Teching In

SS69, very glad to hear that. I really didn't mind the extra effort, and kinda liked the feel. My biggest worry was that I had a setup that was not flowing well and would lead to self destruction somewhere. Thanks for the post, really helps!

I see you are only a couple hours away....you coming to Cruisin' the Coast? If so let me know and I will shoot you my cell. I will be at the autocross a couple days then just wandering around. Would like to check your ride out.

thanks again,
Jim
Old 10-02-2015, 04:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll be at cruisin the coast all week. I'll be at the autocross mon-wed. Look forward to meeting you.
Scott
Old 10-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Teching In

Thanks Scott. Did you manage to squeeze any more time out of the auto Cross? After I left I had lots of questions. Most important was where did you get that filter and runner setup from? I am going to pm my email to you so we can get off topic if you don't mind. If you need anything during the rest of your stay here just email me.

Jim

Quick Reply: Power steering issue 1st Gen