Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Cltuch issues in my 1998 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2016, 07:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cltuch issues in my 1998 Camaro SS

I recently replaced my LS1 engine in my 1998 Camaro SS with an LS3. Realizing that the clutch, the 2002 Z06 type, would not take the power and torque of the new engine, I installed an ACT clutch that seemed adequate for the new engine. The problem with it was it would never disengage, even after installing the Tic adjustable clutch. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

So, my son and I took it out and re-installed the old unit and it shifts fine. Well, sort of. It definitely slips at high RPM and there is no way I can get a final dyno tune until I replace it. Also, I am having the problem that I thought the Tic adjustable clutch was supposed to solve, namely the clutch sticks to the floor after a high RPM shift. Can't figure out that one unless it is the clutch itself.

So, final question. Has anyone had a good experience with a stronger after-market clutch kit? The LS3 with a Texas Speed Stage III cam and 1 and 7/8 headers should be producing somewhere in the 550 flywheel horsepower range. Any suggestions as to a suitable clultch?
Old 10-19-2016, 07:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by runnerdon
I recently replaced my LS1 engine in my 1998 Camaro SS with an LS3. Realizing that the clutch, the 2002 Z06 type, would not take the power and torque of the new engine, I installed an ACT clutch that seemed adequate for the new engine. The problem with it was it would never disengage, even after installing the Tic adjustable clutch. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

So, my son and I took it out and re-installed the old unit and it shifts fine. Well, sort of. It definitely slips at high RPM and there is no way I can get a final dyno tune until I replace it. Also, I am having the problem that I thought the Tic adjustable clutch was supposed to solve, namely the clutch sticks to the floor after a high RPM shift. Can't figure out that one unless it is the clutch itself.

So, final question. Has anyone had a good experience with a stronger after-market clutch kit? The LS3 with a Texas Speed Stage III cam and 1 and 7/8 headers should be producing somewhere in the 550 flywheel horsepower range. Any suggestions as to a suitable clultch?
You are adjusting the clutch peddle out right? And not just throwing the tick MC on there and calling it a day?
You are supposed to have the car in the air with the rear wheels able to spin freely and adjust the peddle out enough to have the clutch fully disengage.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:36 PM
Teching In

We adjusted the Tic clutch throughout the entire range of motion, including way past the point where the pressure plate springs were fully pressed in. The car was off the ground and there was no way to get the car in gear via the clutch. We had to put it in gear to start it, and the wheels began turning immediately. There was no improvement in the ability to get the gears to shift or in the amount the tires turned when the clutch was fully depressed.
Old 10-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Teching In

Smile Need clutch recommendations

Since I still have no explanation as to why the ACT clutch would not disengage in my 1998 Camaro, and the old clutch works but slips, does anyone have a recommendation for a stronger clutch? I believe the new LS3 engine as configured will develop about 550 flywheel HP when tuned. The redline is set at 7000.

So, has anyone had experience with a clutch suitable for the new engine that worked properly in your setup without shifting, disengagement, or slipping issues?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated.

Quick Reply: Cltuch issues in my 1998 Camaro SS